Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-02-2005, 12:26 AM   #1  
MeoW

S/C/G: 275/215/160

Height: 5'7

Default Forgetting about dieting

I occasionally forget that i am dieting, its crazy. Like sometimes i will just see my hubby eating chips so i will sit down and grab a handful not even thinking. I sometimes even will go to mcdonalds and forgetting, is this just selective memory? am i losing my mind? or is it just a lifetime of bad habits that are hard to get rid of? anyone else with this problem?
cupcake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:21 AM   #2  

I would go with the "bad habits" theory. I think we all have the natural tendancy to want to do what we have been doing. Especially when we are hungry.

One thing you might want to try to do is to keep notebook with you and write down everything you eat, no matter how little. If you are about to pop it into your mouth, right it down first. The unnaturalness of this constant logging will force you to remember that you're on a diet. After a while, the diet will become the new habit and you can stop the logging.

These days I might choose to have a high fat/high calorie meal from time to time, but even then, I never, ever forget that I am on a diet.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:09 AM   #3  
finding the thin inside

I think that the more important thing is to realize that this isn't so much a diet, but a lifestyle change. There have been many days in the past, and past "dieting" attempts where I thought to myself...I can't have that bag of chips now, but once I'm 150 lbs I can eat all the chips I want.
But the truth and reality of the situation is that I can never, never, never just eat a bag of chips like that again.
For the rest of my life, I have to watch myself. I am an emotional eater, so for me, it's not only the habits, but they physiological and psychological changes that happen to me because of food.
I know that there will be days that I WILL have a few chips...but honestly?, I hope that I NEVER need to have a "just a few chips" to satisfy a craving of that nature EVER again...because honestly for me, it isn't really satisfying anyway. Because what I REALLY want to do, is eat the whole bag. And since I can't, and won't, ever again, what is the point of just having a few?
Like I was reading a post in another part of here where a girl was having diet coke with splenda...and please if you read this don't take it the wrong way. But obviously to me you are adding the splenda to the coke to make it sweet like regular coke, but it makes you feel better because you are having a diet coke.
I relate, I have done things like that too. But I don't drink pop at all anymore, diet or regular. Because to me, is the pop really that important in my life, that I will suffer drinking something that really doesn't taste good to me just to have pop?
I'm sorry if this sounds rude, I don't mean for it to be.
I totally agree with the logging...writing things down makes it real. It's no longer just a thought in your head, but it's right there in front of you staring you in the face.
If you are sitting there and you want ice cream...and it's making you crazy that you can't have it, take a pen and a piece of paper and write on it, I want ice cream, I don't need ice cream, I am changing my life, I feel better because I'm changing my life, etc etc, until you have talked yourself out of it.
Sometimes, if my guy is eating something in front of me that is making me salivate and go nuts I will leave the room until it's done, or ask him to put it away for later when I'm not around. It's these little extra things of support that go a million miles for me.
And honestly, ask yourself, do you REALLY get in the car to drive to Mcdonalds forgetting that you are trying to change your entire life...? I'm sure it is there at least in the back of your mind.
And that's ok if you do get in that car...it's even ok if you drive there..but it's whether or not you choose to put that food in your mouth that matters.
Sorry for rambling
RainyAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:14 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyAfternoon
Like I was reading a post in another part of here where a girl was having diet coke with splenda...and please if you read this don't take it the wrong way. But obviously to me you are adding the splenda to the coke to make it sweet like regular coke, but it makes you feel better because you are having a diet coke.
I just wanted to interject here-there are two versions of Diet Coke on the market now, the original that has been around for years and is sweetened with aspartame, and a newer version released recently-that is sweetened with Splenda/sucralose instead. There are quite a few sodas out there now that are sweetened with sucralose/Splenda-such as Diet 7Up.
So, when someone says that they are having a Diet Coke with Splenda, they could very well mean they are having the new product.

Also, even if the Diet Coke was a regular, and someone added Splenda to it-to me it is no different than someone adding Sweet N Low to their iced tea, or Splenda to their coffee in the morning to improve the taste without calories.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:22 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
I relate, I have done things like that too. But I don't drink pop at all anymore, diet or regular. Because to me, is the pop really that important in my life, that I will suffer drinking something that really doesn't taste good to me just to have pop?
Ha, some people actually DO like diet sodas. My mother was always one of those people who would go get a meal at McDonald's but then order a diet coke with it--not because she thought the diet coke would help make it healthier (like so many people sem to assume she thought), but simply because she doesn't LIKE regular coke.

I, for one, am a big fan of the new Coke Zero. I think it tastes much more like regular Coke than Diet Coke (I'm definitely not a fan of Diet Coke), and if I can drink the Coke Zero (normally 2.5 servings or less per day) with zero calories instead of the regular coke with hundreds of calories, why would I NOT do that? It makes me feel less deprived, which makes me less likely to binge. The more low-cal substitues I can find for "normal" foods, the less deprived I feel, which makes it easier to stick to as a lifestyle change instead of a shorter term diet Just another spin on the diet soda thinking...
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 10:15 AM   #6  
finding the thin inside

LOL I was going to quote some things you said that were really good points but it'll take too long. I don't know if the coke with splenda is here where I live. And as I said earlier, I wasn't saying it to be rude, just a thought at the moment. Everyone is different, which is GREAT but also NOT GREAT because if we were all exactly the same, I'd say make us all 130 lbs
Anyways, I personally can't stand the taste of diet pop, and I also don't like the taste of artificial sweetners either. My dad is diabetic and a user of sweet n low for years and years. I have tried it in my coffee, and just don't care for the taste.
As far as the diet pop, I watched a thing on the news,they were saying how diet pop is supposed to have less calories, caffiene, etc. They did a study and apparently found out that there is basically the same amount of caffeine. And the same as coffee does, that dehydrates you. Which is not good because I don't drink enough water as I should to begin with.
I sound so anti-soda hahaha
Which is funny because I used to drink like 3 or 4 glasses of it a day.
Also your point about adding splenda to their soda is no different than ice tea, etc, is a good point. I hadn't thought about it that way. It's probably because I have never been an ice tea drinker at home. I usually drink water, smoothies, some herbal teas. Although, I will admit, I do indulge in the occasional diet pepsi, simply because of diet sodas, it tastes the most similar to the regular stuff, and it's a nice treat after tasting nothing but water all day. I'd drink fruit juices, but I keep hearing that they're bad for you.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:20 AM   #7  
finding the thin inside

I just wanted to add on the topic of bad habits,...that some of mine that I've caught myself doing have been going down the junk food isle at the grocery store. Not all the time recently, but sometimes I start going down there and looking at all the chips and stuff. I know in the back of my mind I am not going to get anything, but I still do it. It's torturous!!
Sometimes my guy will be eating cookies or whatever and hold one out and ask if I want one, and I'll just about grab it and we'll both realize that I really shouldn't be taking it, and he shouldn't be offering. It's kind of funny.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:10 AM   #8  

Well, you aren't going crazy. The thing is, losing weight takes a conscious effort whereas gaining weight is a mostly mindless act. I agree with the suggestion of logging every single bite, especially in the beginning. It is a sure way to make yourself aware of any mindless eating. Also, PLANNING what you will be eating a day in advance will help. If you already know what you are going to have for lunch, driving through McDonald's without thinking won't be necessary.

The good news is that sticking your hand in a bag of chips or driving through eventually becomes unnatural. When and how it happens varies from person to person but it DOES happen. Every now and then I'll have a craving for something less than healthy and choose to indulge. I am always disappointed. Not because I gave in to a craving but in the food itself. Rarely do I finish a portion. None of it is really even GOOD anymore. It always strikes me as strange because I still EXPECT to really love junk food. Desserts are really the only thing from my former life that I still enjoy and those are pretty much limited to REAL treats - things that are so rich that I can't eat more than a couple of bites anyway. Plain old candy bars and the like just don't do it for me these days.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:49 PM   #9  
MeoW

S/C/G: 275/215/160

Height: 5'7

thanks guys! i am going to stard writing down what i eat, but im so buys it might not be until the end of the day. and i am one of those people who likes diet coke as opposed to regular coke, it dosent leave the nasty aftertaste .....i am definatly inclined to believe that it is both in the back of my mind that i want it and that its a learned habit....the sad part is that it was all learned in the past few years, i grew up in a really healthy home, when i got out on my own my inner pig came out, now its like i cant eat enough i could eat all day and still think i want food, its really crazy
cupcake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:15 PM   #10  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
LOL I was going to quote some things you said that were really good points but it'll take too long. I don't know if the coke with splenda is here where I live. And as I said earlier, I wasn't saying it to be rude, just a thought at the moment. Everyone is different, which is GREAT but also NOT GREAT because if we were all exactly the same, I'd say make us all 130 lbs
Anyways, I personally can't stand the taste of diet pop, and I also don't like the taste of artificial sweetners either. My dad is diabetic and a user of sweet n low for years and years. I have tried it in my coffee, and just don't care for the taste.
As far as the diet pop, I watched a thing on the news,they were saying how diet pop is supposed to have less calories, caffiene, etc. They did a study and apparently found out that there is basically the same amount of caffeine. And the same as coffee does, that dehydrates you. Which is not good because I don't drink enough water as I should to begin with.
I sound so anti-soda hahaha
Which is funny because I used to drink like 3 or 4 glasses of it a day.
Also your point about adding splenda to their soda is no different than ice tea, etc, is a good point. I hadn't thought about it that way. It's probably because I have never been an ice tea drinker at home. I usually drink water, smoothies, some herbal teas. Although, I will admit, I do indulge in the occasional diet pepsi, simply because of diet sodas, it tastes the most similar to the regular stuff, and it's a nice treat after tasting nothing but water all day. I'd drink fruit juices, but I keep hearing that they're bad for you.
Chalk me down as another who prefers diet Coke (the original diet Coke, not the Diet Coke with Splenda or the new Coke Zero - which my husband now prefers) to regular soda, which is way too sweet for my taste.

BTW here's the can design for the DC w/Splenda:

If you're trying to lose weight, I would say that fruit juice is something to be avoided - it's basically sugar water. Check the calories - you're better off eating the actual fruit, than drinking juice - whether you're trying to lose weigh or not.

As far as the remark about caffiene being dehydrating - there have been recent studies done showing that ain't necessarily so. Check the links in this post I wrote in July.

Also, this article gives a basic synopsis of the studies mentioned in my previous post - specifically about caffeinated drinks:

Quote:
Finally, strong evidence now indicates that not all of the prescribed fluid need be in the form of water. Careful peer-reviewed experiments have shown that caffeinated drinks should indeed count toward the daily fluid intake in the vast majority of persons. To a lesser extent, the same probably can be said for dilute alcoholic beverages, such as beer, if taken in moderation.
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:22 PM   #11  

Just bad eating habits. See me I don't diet because if you go on one you will have to come off. I just stopped eating a lot of junk and started eating healthy. Moderation is the key in America we just eat to much junk. reprogramming your mind is hard but once it is reprogrammed watch out. My family will not eat out now they can't stand the taste. the only time we eat out is when we go on vacation and you taste the chemicals in the food. Sodas taste like syrup no thanks. now I crave cauliflower weird but true.
flipafart is offline   Reply With Quote