Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-30-2005, 02:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default Pastel Weights

So my gym was closed last week for maintenance. When I went this morning to lift, I noticed that they'd removed some old weights and purchased some new ones. However, all the lighter weights are now pastel instead of the nice metal color. Ick! Frankly, I was embarassed lifting hot pink 12 lb. weights in the lateral press. I'm just not quite ready for 15 lbs., which are "normal" weights.

I was happy to see that they'd added 1 lb. increments to their weight set. I'd been using 8 lbs. for tricep extension, and was a bit leery about trying 10 lbs. Now they have a 9 lb. set that I used today. The only bad part--they're baby blue.

I think my prejudice against pastel weights comes from reading the article someone posted about women needing to lift heavier weights and to quit using the pastel weights. Unfortunately, until I can lift 15 lbs. and above on all exercises, I'm stuck with those dang pastel weights. Maybe it will be a motivational tool?!?!!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:44 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

I'd probably hurt myself using one of the heavier ones just to keep from even looking at a hot pink db

Some man probably bought them thinking they could get more women interested in weight training if the weights matched their shoes
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 08:51 PM   #3  
Mel

LOL, I ordered 6,7,and 9 pound weights for the gym a few months ago because I'm working with a client rehabbing a torn and repaired rotator cuff. The gym manager thought ordering in one pound increments was absurd and that no one else would ever use them, so he made me order the cheapest ones I could find. They are all covered in deep purple neoprene. THey've turned out to be immensely popular, and I see a lot of guys reluctantly reaching for them, but...they are getting used

Forget the color, just lift the right weight!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I have pink dumbells and I'm d*mned proud of them! I started with them and now I can use real ones
Of course nobody can see me use mine
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:41 PM   #5  

The adjustable db set I have at home is in teal and purple, and there's a whole rack of dbs at my guy that are plastic wrapped in different colors. I don't mind them at all; in fact I find gripping the plastic ones easier than regular metal dbs. Of course, I don't pick out which ones to use by color or anything
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Well, the hot pink weights were motivational. I despised them so much, I tried the 15 lb. weights and was able to do two sets of 5 hard-fought reps.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:24 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
LOL, I ordered 6,7,and 9 pound weights for the gym a few months ago because I'm working with a client rehabbing a torn and repaired rotator cuff. The gym manager thought ordering in one pound increments was absurd and that no one else would ever use them, so he made me order the cheapest ones I could find.

Mel
I really WANT some weights in 1 pound increments. My hand weights go in the classic 5-8-10-12-15, and I really would like to have a set of 7's and 9's for my shoulders. I have the hardest time with them, and sometimes I feel like a 2-3 pound increase at one time with them is too much, unlike the rest of my body.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:40 PM   #8  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

aphil, I think you should be able to get 1lb weights that you strap on your wrists, try getting a pair of those and using your dbs at the same time!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 05:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I was thinking about that the last time I was at our sporting goods store...they have the squishy wrist weights in 1 and 2 pound sizes...maybe that would help when I am between weight increments...without going neon pink.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote