Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-27-2005, 10:08 PM   #1  

Default Help me prove my husband wrong!

My husband doesn't believe that walking and diet will lead to weight loss. He believes that I need to be in aerobics class. Does someone have an article they know of that proves him wrong?
Lisa36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 10:48 PM   #2  
SoLdIeRs WiFe

Hey Girl! I dont have an article, but I have been on the SBD since March 2005 and walked for only 30 minutes a day on my treadmill, and i lost 31 pounds, so he is absolutely wrong, because it does bring weight loss. If you come across an article, i would love to see it too!!

SoldiersWife21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 11:31 PM   #3  
A dieting diva!

Default Walking works!

Early last year, when I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes, my hubby and I both underwent a serious lifestyle change. We changed our eating habits overnight and began walking twice a day, anywhere from half and hour to two hours each time. Most often we did half an hour on one walk, an hour on the other.

I lost thirty pounds and hubby lost fifty-eight ---- just from walking.

Sadly, over the course of the year, we both gained a lot of it back, but we are back on the wagon again. Hubby is now within two pounds of his lowest-ever weight, and I am slowly working my way back down to get those same thirty pounds off again. We still walk, but we have also joined a gym where we go at least once a day, usually for 45 minutes. I like the elliptical and he does the reclining bike. We also swim laps several times a week.

Anyway --- you CAN lose weight just by walking. Plus, it's great to be outdoors!

Last edited by BluebonnetDiva; 08-28-2005 at 09:01 AM. Reason: add weight loss bar
BluebonnetDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:01 AM   #4  

Height: 5'1"

I say, don't worry about any article to show to him, just go out and start walking. Eventually he'll see the proof.

Walking is a wonderful source of exercise. So go out and enjoy the sun!!
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:36 AM   #5  

Hello my fellow Arkie! I don't have an article to back this up either but I can offer my own testimonial. I've lost a total of 190 lbs. and walking was my primary source of exercise for the majority of it. I've since switched to a Gazelle but the first 150 lbs. or so were lost through walking on my treadmill along with some light weight training (5 lb. weights) and abdominal exercises. So, you go tell that skeptical hubby of yours that walking works, and then you can prove it to him yourself!!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:25 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

No article for me either. I lost 30 lbs just walking and eating 1200 cals (or so

Marti's right. Just go out and prove him wrong.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:35 AM   #7  

Thanks girls for the replys. I knew you/we could lose weight by walking I just wanted him to know it so when I go to health club to walk on treadmill I don't have to listen to him say..."You're not going to lose weight by walking."I think I will just get started with it. I will take great joy in proving him wrong!
Lisa36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 06:52 PM   #8  
~*~Tara~*~

S/C/G: 240/234/150

Height: 5' 7"

Go out and buy the current issues of SELF magazine. There is an article in there about the benefits of walking. In fact, they are running an online, 4 week long walking challenge, with the goals of health and weight loss in mind. I just signed up for it.

Go prove hubby wrong!
celticscryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:13 PM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Well, I'll show him my before and after if that's proof enough for him. I didn't even DIET. Ick...hate that word. I just ate healthy. And I walked one mile per day. I actually lost weight just by healthy eating. Albeit slowly, but I lost. When I started walking, I lost twice as fast. If walking isn't good for you, ask him why so many people do it.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:17 PM   #10  
A dieting diva!

Why don't you gently suggest to your sweet husband that he walk WITH you, and that he support your efforts by at least giving them a try? What is there to lose? If you don't lose weight walking, you can try something else.

BBD
who just got back from an hour-long jaunt with her hubby and two frisky little Dachshunds

BluebonnetDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 06:45 PM   #11  

Linky

The Article wrote :

Quote:
. So she joined a mom's group, where she met up with 10 other women and their babies two to three times a week for an hour-long walk. "I lost 35 pounds in seven months,"
Likely More Here :

http://www.chatelaine.com/health/wal...17_132719_2724
Brina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:32 PM   #12  

I don't remember where I read it, but it's likely to have been on SoulCysters, the PCOS board, (and I'm pretty sure that somewhere on there is a sticky about walking being one of the BEST forms of exercise for fat burning!)

The reason being, that you need to be in a certain zone, aerobically, to burn FAT - strenuous exercise above a given level you actually stop burning fat. The same applies for not too vigorous exercise. Walking is ideal because after 20 mins walking you will be around the right level to be burning fat, so most forms of exercise will actually take you out of the zone for fat burning - walking puts you in it. Also you can do it with much less risk of injury - which is important as if you injure yourself doing aerobics, you won't be exercising at all for a few weeks.

If he's sceptical, ignore him and do your own thing and you'll be living proof that walking works. I started off my weight loss just walking an hour or so a day but now I do dance DVDs, swim and have even started to run. But as they say, best not to run before you can walk! I know it's horrible encountering that sort of unsupportive attitude from family members or friends, having experienced it myself - and I do sometimes wonder if less supportive people don't have their own agenda, ie: they have something emotionally invested in you being unfit. I've seen this a lot with a younger female family member of mine, who wants desperately to lose weight but can only gain it because she's surrounded by people who won't support her, and are cynical about anything she might try. This is because they are also unfit and eat all the most unhealthy foods you can imagine, and to see her turn things round for herself would challenge their self esteem. I also had an ex (thankfully he's 'ex'!) who wasn't unfit himself but actually liked it when I gained weight after having my babies, because it meant 'other men won't look at you'. not to say that's the case for you, but I'm really aware that women can have partners who have a lot emotionally invested in them not taking control, and exercising/eating in the way they choose.

I don't mean to be rude, but it's something worth being aware of maybe, that sometimes unsupportive or criticial people close to us feel threatened when we start to tackle our health issues.

Last edited by PhatPhoenix; 08-31-2005 at 05:37 PM.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:40 PM   #13  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

How about before and after pics of someone who walked and dieted?

Before at 300+
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atta...chmentid=14249

Still loosing, approx 210 here
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atta...chmentid=14250

Walking is what I do best. I started because the ex was too cheap to buy me a gym membership. After I left, I was too poor to buy a gym membership Even now, I prefer walking over anything else. Let us know if you talked any sense into the man

Last edited by RobinW; 08-31-2005 at 06:43 PM.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:11 PM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

Wow those are great pics RobinW!! You look 100% younger in the second pic too!! Another benefit of the walking and healthy eating lifestyle!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:03 AM   #15  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Thanks so much Ilene!! Its amazing isnt it when we lose weight how much younger we look. And here I was telling myself (back then)the fat filled the wrinkles, and I looked younger that way!!!
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote