Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 11:43 PM   #1  
GmaTo8

Smile Weight Loss & Chit Chat #142

WELCOME to the Jaded Ladies site!

We're a friendly group that provides support in our weight loss journey, and we also share the ups and downs of our daily lives. Please feel free to join us!

Angie - Have fun at Disneyland!

To everyone else - chat at ya' later.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:38 PM   #2  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Smile T.g.i.f.

Happy Friday ladies!

And man am I glad it is Friday. Had some running around to do this morning and it is good be home. Was trying to find some stationery somewhere and just couldn't find any. Going to order some from Colorful Images, of course that will take a week or two. Finally went to Penneys and got the new fall catalog. Meant to do it the other day but got sidetracked with other things running Jason around. Had to get gas while I was out also. Boy, I knew I should have gotten it yesterday, it was only $2.53. Today it is $2.59 and I cannot believe how high it is. I have never seen it this high.

Anyway, got another letter from Josh yesterday. He is doing fine. Was telling me that he will finally start(ed) basic the 25th-didn't realize that was yesterday when I received his letter. So now he won't be bored any longer. He also told me about a Corporal trying to commit suicide. They were standing in the lunch line and it was right on the other side of the wall. They heard someone say OMG, or something and then they heard a BIG thud and of course saw the big puddle of blood after they took him away. At first they didn't think the guy would make it because his head was cracked open (he dived out the window head first) but he's going to pull through after all-thank god! So far they've had about 6-8 people go AWOL and like he said, he's not sure why because they haven't even gotten to the hard part. So, yesterday he went to down the range as he called it and will write to give me an address and specifically told me "NO fluffy, fluffy, girly, girly, sweet talk junk" Who me??? He knows how I get carried away sometimes with the cards, labels and stickers. But I would never do that to him, wouldn't embarrass him and I definitely don't want anyone on his case teasing him about it, not in there!

Mindee~so glad the Drs appt. went well and everything is fine. That would be amazing if you only gained 5 pounds! The most I gained was 25-30 pounds.

Marti~yay, for long weekends! Hope you enjoy it and do something fun.

Susan~how sweet of your co-workers to throw you a little going away party. You can always go back and drop in every now and then for a short visit to say Hi. I would be excited about the new job as well. And just think..you'll be closer to the girls and you'll be making LOTS of moola!

Angie~hope you guys have a blast at Disneyland! Wish I was going with you!

Hi to everyone else

Well, ladies I should get going. Need to check my e-mail and then straighten the house. I was out of the swiffer dusters and got some this morning so now I need to at least dust and vacuum and possibly do a load of laundry. Try to stay on it so I don't have a lot to do at one time. Then, I've got catalogs to look at! Can't wait to see what's new this fall!

Take care ladies and have a fantastic Friday and a great weekend too!
Old 08-26-2005, 03:47 PM   #3  
One day at a time

Smile

Just a quickie for me...

This is from Angie~

I had such a morning...I laugh now but I tell you I added some years to all our lives. Took Miss Skittles out for her morning trip...and noticed as I was walking down the stairs that there was a smell in the house...went outside and being fresh and crisp morning I came in and noticed the STRONG smell of natural gas scent. I freaked,,,woke both boys up and raced out the door. Called 911 and had flashing lights and the whole bit fire trucks there within 3 minutes. All because the furnace had gone on for the first time since spring and the lil bit of dust that was by it had burned giving off the same smell as natural gas. Was my face red? Yes,,,but better safe then sorry. The one guy was pretty hot,,,dang and there I was in my funky bright blue doggy pjs that are too small,,,,they look like capris and a muscle shirt that's kinda big. No bra! Hair like standing up on end...ya it was a pretty sight...lol

You can pass my lil adventure on to the other ladies,,,it's a good laugh.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:48 PM   #4  
kitty Momo

It must be really hard to have a child in the military Cristi - many hugs to you
My ex had 2 grandchildren over in Iraq. One is going on her 2nd tour and the other was injured and came home - lost some fingers. He wants to go back though and be with his troop. Amazing people serving our country.

I visited my new place of employment today. It was a 3 hour visit and exhausting. Had to call my fave boss and tell him I was running late. What can he do , fire me?? lol So, he said fine.

HUGE building and very disturbing to learn that they have had 3 people jump from the building since Dec. That kind of is spooky and makes me wonder why we don't change the windows so people can't fit through? The last one was 2 days ago and jumped from the 8th floor. Now I know why the job pays so much *nervous laugh*......doesn't scare me though.

Also disturbing to learn my assistant is living with my co worker who is the other manager. I supervise her but still I find it unacceptable in a work place. It has already been dealt with in the union so nothing to do but keep my radar up for any hanky panky.....lol

arrrgghhhhhhhh - how do I get myself into these things?? lol

BEST news is my fave boss was promoted and is going to be located in the same building as me!!!!!! YAY.....best news yet. He is the greatest, makes leaving not so difficult.

Weighed in at 153 this morning. I need to drink water but I don't.

HUGS Mindee, can't believe you are comin along so fast in your pregnancy!

Better get - has been a long day. Miss the Gabster sooooooooooo much.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:46 PM   #5  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

Good week-end to you all. Hope everyone has a wonderful Sat. and Sun.

Today I felt even better. I got my 2 walks in and did really well on food. I just had a few pretzel sticks for my snack.....wanted ice cream, but Thank goodness we were out! I did get so frustrated with my last WI that I said I wouldn't even look at my scales again, but we all know if the scales are in the house we have to look.

DD and I went to have lunch with Mom and my aunt yesterday. Had a good visit. DD is so busy with her business that I seldom get to spend much time with her. So that was nice!

Nothing planned for the week-end. How about you all?
Old 08-27-2005, 06:08 AM   #6  

Height: 5'1"

G'Mornin' everyone!

I should be in bed, but I'm not yet. But soon!

Tonight we had a fiasco in one of the employee parking structures. I got off early so this was around 12:30am. There was a man/woman (not sure which) who was threatening to jump. At first we didn't know which structure it was. The one I park in, is only 3 stories high. The other is 5. Found out it was the taller one. Police surrounding every corner. Any employee who needed to go home and was parked in that structure...had to wait to leave until it was all over. Very bizarre!

Cristi--I'm happy w/the long weekend too! I plan on a coast trip w/Jhanai and back to school clothes shopping! I'm sure I'll be broke by the end of the weekend!

Susan--How cool it must be to have your favorite supervisor move to the same building!! Sounds like everything is falling into place for you!

Angie--Holy Moly!! I agree...better safe than sorry! Like our "fire" we had last Christmas...it was just smoldering smoke, but it was a LOT of it...so we had the fire department out! Glad it wasn't serious!

Sue--I hate to weigh myself so I hardly ever do! Last I was back up to 145. That upset me, so I haven't been back on the scale since. And since I've cut down on smoking, I feel I may have added some more. Sheesh!! Imagine if I quit completely! Why is it that we eat more??? Must keep these hands busy!

Good Morning to the rest of the JL's!!

Ok...I must get to bed. So sleepy.

Hugs to all!

Oh...I may be gone most of the weekend. But I'll post when I get a chance. Take Care!
Old 08-27-2005, 11:14 AM   #7  
One day at a time

Smile

Good morning ladies~

Marti~I hope you and Jhanai enjoy your long weekend. A drive down the coast and shopping sounds like a good weekend to me!

Susan~that is cool that your boss moved to the building also. And yes it is hard having a son in the service. Of course right now is the easy part, sort of. I miss him being gone but this is just basic training. I still worry tho. A 3-hour tour huh? Must have been lots to see! Are you nervous about starting?

Angie~by now you guys are off to Anaheim, CA...be safe and have fun! Can't wait to hear about it when you get back.

What is it with jumping off buildings? Must be something in the air. Crazy stuff. I would think that would be the worst way to go. BIL jumped off a 12 story building years ago-I just can't imagine anything being so bad that you would do that. I wonder too if when people do that if on the way down they are thinking what the **** have I done! Horrible, just horrible and sad too that things get so bad that they feel they have to do it. Anyway, was just checking in for a minute before getting on with the day.

Nothing special planned, cleaning the house and taking the valances down and dusting them. I try to only take them to the dry cleaners when I absolutely have to. So I throw them in the dryer with a couple of dryer sheets-gets the dust off and they smell fresh. It's just too expensive to have them dry cleaned. Of course I didn't think about that when I bought them.

Have a great day ladies!
Old 08-27-2005, 12:14 PM   #8  
a work in progress

Hello ladies, and happy Saturday

WI today, down 1 more lb I do hate when it slows down after that initial exhiliration of the big losses for the first few weeks (a part of that is water weight, of course). My biggest downfall in the past has been getting halfway to goal, hitting a plateau, and giving up. I cannot even convey how much it helps that Tim and I are doing this together.

There was a lady at the WW meeting today who had lost 100 lbs -- quit going and gained every bit of it back and then some -- then came back and lost 130, and has been at lifetime goal for like a year. She lifts weights, swims, does treadmill, rides her bike...really incredible. She has a very small frame, was maybe only 5'3" or so, but now she has all these muscles on her tiny body! It was great to hear her story, very inspiring. The physical therapist finally gave me the OK to go to the gym -- OK for biking and swimming, and I think treadmill is ok, too, as long as I don't overdo things. We've been walking at night and have gone out for a few bike rides (although I really don't like riding in the dark, it's cooler and there is less traffic).

The other night we were really munchie, and I came up with a low point artichoke-spinach dip that was soooooooo good We ate it on baked pita chips, but would have been great on carrot and celery sticks, too, I bet. I will post it in the recipe thread...

Sue, I found a really good low point icecream -- Dreyer's Slow Churned Light. We like the Vanilla Bean best, it has natural ingredients, and is 2 pts for a 1/2 cup serving, and we can add other things like fruit, or lowfat chocolate syrup, etc.

Marti, here's to long weekends! Next weekend I have Friday off, and Monday for Labor Day, whoo hoo!!!

Cristi, my drapes and valances are a disaster, but you're right, dry cleaning would be a fortune. Maybe I'll try the dryer trick with the valances. Oh, and hon...regular gas here is 2.67 at the cheapest. Hopefully the prices will settle down after Labor Day.

Rats, Tim needs to do something with the router/internet connection, so I have to cut this short...hi to everyone else (Hi down there in Disneyland, Angie!!!) and have a great day

Last edited by Katiecat; 08-27-2005 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:09 PM   #9  

Hello ladies and a good weekend to all---Gee, I can't believe all that has been going on this past week!!! I feel like I've been gone forever.

Katie: Congrats on the continued weight loss and thanks for the recipes. I can already tell since school has started that I'm going to have to be really careful....I am so tired by the end of the day (and that is when I am the weakest about food--when I'm tired) that I'll grab ANYTHING to eat. I bought a small frig to keep at school and have been loading it up with yogurts and fruit. Anyway, I think any loss is a victory....slow and steady wins the race. And thanks for sharing about the lady who had lost the weight...I've never been able to lose that much, but about 2 years ago I lost 51 pounds....my son had a horrible wreck and we spent weeks in the hospital--he came home to live with me and recoup and of course I cooked all the time for him...he's 6'4" and a bean pole so he can eat whatever....I guess I thought I could too and ended up gaining all of my weight back and about 20 more. I felt so disgusted with myself....even when I knew I was putting the weight back on I felt like I just couldn't stop myself....This time the weight coming off is for life...Thanks again Jane....I think of your story often and that part about doing it for life so inspires me.

Jane....I hope the house moving is going okay. That'll be great to already have your kitchen stuff moved....that to me would be the biggest job and to already have it done !!! Smart thinking! My weekend at the Discovery seminar was awesome! It's been a 3 weekend deal ---one weekend every 5 weeks. The first weekend you try to deal with past issues, the 2nd weekend they try to help you "discover" traps that are keeping you from getting out of life what you want, and this last weekend was helping you find what you feel like God wants you to do with your life and how to set goals to get there. About 10 years ago, it was called Pathways and Dr. Phil ran it (when he was in Texas). After he moved out to California, 2 other men took it over and changed it to Discovery. My DD, Kayla, my oldest brother and his wife went through it too....it's amazing how close we have all become. I wish I could get everyone I know to go----it just makes you feel so inspired and hopeful about life! You can check into it more at Discovery.com.

Susan: If you don't mind me asking, what is it that you do? Sounds like there must be alot of stress at work....Yikes!!!

Well shoot--my son just called and needs me to come pick him up so I'll try to catch up more later--

Love you gals!!
Old 08-27-2005, 04:08 PM   #10  
kitty Momo

Beth - I work at a place where we put the FUN in dysfunction,lol. You learn to roll with the punches in low income housing where you deal with residents that have difficulties in their lives. It is beyond property management, that is for sure.

I think it will be great though, so much to learn and most of my co workers are great. And yes.........VERY happy by boss is tagging along to the same building where his office will be. Would have missed him because we would have been in different sections of towns , he wouldn't have been a co worker as much as he will be now.

My mom is funny because I said how great he is and she goes "is he available?".......nope......happily married & 30 years old (too young for me).Just a really outstanding person.

yikes.....better get going.....working on my last newsletter.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:34 AM   #11  

Height: 5'1"

Hello girls--

How are you all doing on the beautiful Sunday? Jhanai & I had a busy day walking all over the mall and other shops hunting for "Back to school Shopping!"

I'm already ready for bed. It's only 9:30 but I'm ready!! Very unusual to my "can't sleep and the sun is already up" problems.

Had an "event" happen today. Jhanai was feeling bad and had a headache. Later she had gone to the girls room and I was in the kitchen when lo and behold I hear a "scream!"

She started her...............period!

My, just turned 11 year old, just had her first monthly. Can you believe it??

She's growing up and I just can't seem to stop her! Well, I better get going, I thought I would share that milestone w/you all. I need to get myself and Jhanai to bed. You all take care and I'll check in later on tomorrow. We're going to the coast!

Night!
Old 08-29-2005, 09:40 AM   #12  
GmaTo8

Smile

Good Monday morning to you!

Cristi - I just love my swiffer, too. Hope you got everything done that you wanted done. Glad you've heard from Josh and that all is well. I got my Penney's catalog awhile back, and there are some really nice things for fall in there. I don't like how the blazers/ suit jackets are so much shorter, though! With my big ol' butt, I like the longer ones, lol. Notice all the browns this year?

Angie - if you get a chance to read this when you get back, I want you to know you're missed. I don't do email much at all, but will try to call you when you get back.

Susan - "fun" in dysfunctional, lol!!! So glad your fave boss is moving to the same building as you. At least you'll have a friendly face in the lunchroom.

Sue - glad you had a good visit with DD, mom, and aunt.

Marti - aww, I'm so glad Jhanai was with you (and not her dad) when the big event happened! It puts them on such a different level, imho, and they become someone to be reckoned with. Katie started at 11 also, but Mary was 13.

Katiecat - YAY for the 1 pound down!! As long as you're losing, that's great! Much better than staying the same, and waaaayyyy better than gaining! Those pounds add up. Do you have something planned as a reward for your first short-term goal? I had a charm to represent each 10 pounds, for the first 50 pounds, to put on a bracelet. These are the old-fashioned gold charms, not the Italian ones. The first is a cross to remind me that with God's help, I could do it. The 2nd is a heart to remind me to love myself, no matter what. The 3rd is an owl for wisdom to change the things I can. The 4th is a lion for courage to keep going. The 5th (last) is a key and lock to represent the key to success of losing 50 pounds. The bracelet got caught on something, and is broken, so I put all the charms on a necklace, with a spacer bead between each one, and I love when someone asks me about them.

Beth - so glad that I've been an inspiration to you!! Your saying that makes me feel so good. The Discovery seminars sound like something I would like to attend if they are ever offered locally. Yay for you bringing your own fridge to work. Planning ahead sure helps, right?

Hello to the others.

Well, I was w/o the internet most of the weekend while we got the computer moved from the kitchen into the den. Dale painted the den for me, since it was Care Bear purple, lol. Even though the room will eventually be totally redone, I wanted a color I could live with until then.

Did I mention that I will be going to Philadelphia soon? The mods are having a meeting, and I'll be gone Sept. 16 - 18. I'm flying out of Evansville to Chicago where I'll join Jacobsmommy(mod of the 100+ pound club), and we'll continue on to Philly together out of O'Hare. I sure wish Marti (and all of you!) could join us. I have to say I'm really excited about meeting the administrators and other mods.

Gotta get busy. Hope you have a great Monday.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:00 PM   #13  
One day at a time

Hiya ladies~

Marti~they do grow up so fast don't they? Girls seem to be starting earlier, and developing earlier than when I grew up. So glad she was with you. Glad you guys had a fun day shopping.

Katiecat~WTG on the loss this week! Hey, a pound is a pound and so much better than a gain! So The drape trick, if you want to call it a trick...does work and it is a whole lot cheaper than the dry cleaners. I know tho eventually I will have to take them, all 10 of them! I used to buy this kit thing at the store for clothes that need to be dry cleaned but found just throwing them in the dryer with dryer sheets works just as well.

Jane~I love all the brown colors for fall! I may get a few new shirts but won't buy too many clothes, not yet anyway. I will have to have one of the blazers even tho they are short-just love them! I like to cover my big butt too! I remember reading about the PA trip-you guys are going to have a BLAST! I need a get away. I actually will be going to AR about the same time you go to PA. Not sure of the date yet, but it will be a week or two after Labor Day-need to see my dad. So what color did Dale paint the den?

Hi to everyone else

Not feeling so great today. TOM decided to come today and on top of it I woke up at 3 a.m. and couldn't go back to sleep until 6. I have been waking up every morning at 3 a.m. for a couple of weeks now and I am feeling it. I am going to drag my old fat self in the exercise room though and force myself to do something as soon as I get off this thing.

Have a good day ladies!
Old 08-29-2005, 08:37 PM   #14  

Hey Ladies!!

Christi: Sorry you're feeling crummy. Do you have a bug or is it lack of sleep? I'm just miserable the next day when I don't get enough rest.

Marti: I so glad Jhanai was with you--so much better to be with mom....I think God had a hand in that one....

Hello to you ladies that have chimed on since my absence. I just love these girls!!

My neice had her baby last Wednesday (Aug 24) Named him Hagen (Not sure on the spelling) and he was a little over 9 lbs.....which was amazing because Mom Carli is not very big.

I think I've told ya'll that they've been building a dairy west of me? Anyway, I've always lived on a dirt road and it has been horrible this year with all the big trucks coming up and down with the building going on and when it has rained it's almost been impassable. Well...they've been working all this last week and have put caliche (don't know if that's how you spell it) down. Maybe when it rains we won't have ruts up to our bumpers!!! I feel like I'm moving uptown!! The ruts were so deep last winter, my son actually drug the bumper off of his Envoy. I have an old old suburban that sits up really high or I would have really been in trouble.

I mowed all Sat and Sun afternoon with the mower at it's highest level---it was looking like a jungle around here. We've had rain 4 weekends in a row!

I haven't weighed in 2 weeks. I usually try to on Mondays but was running late this morn and didn't even think about it. Guess I'll try to weigh tomorrow... I've wanted to try this diet by this man named Dr. Perricone (I think that's his name). I saw him about a month ago on Oprah and he was talking about a diet that was very good for your skin and wrinkles and it also helped you lose weight. They showed some of the meals from the book and it looked like WW---very healthy and filling. He said you should eat a protein in the morning and follow that with fruit....the protein will help burn off the carbs in the fruit.....showed salmon at night...said salmon was so full of antioxidants...Anyway, thought I'd order the book and read it. Anyway, if it follows close the WW, I thought I'd try to incorporate some of it into my daily diet. Just reading books like that encourages me to stay OP. I think I'm going to make my own folder with success stories from ya'll and when I feel weak, I'm going to get it out and read it.

Jane---that's great that you get to go be with the admins and mods. I had wondered if ya'll ever got to meet each other in person. Do they show you new things they're planning with the website or is it mainly to get to meet each other? I wish you could go to Discovery. I think they're going to try to start having them in Austin, Texas and then Ok City, Hopefully, they will continue branching out. It's just so inspirational to hear 40 to 50 people decide on a mission. I was amazed that I could spend 3 weekends with a group of strangers and get to know them so intimately---their hurts, their hearts, and their dreams. It was phenomonal! Some of the things some of them had endured was unbelievable. I don't want to sound preachy but we talked about how God brings you through difficult trying things and through that you can help someone else get through something. So....this may be a very difficult time for us trying to take off the weight, but if we can help someone else or encourage someone else when they are struggling to stay on plan or just get through a day then what we've gone through can be turned into a good thing when we can empathize and help others.

Okay, okay, okay----I'll get off my soapbox.....

Stay strong, stay OP, we can do this ladies!!
I love ya'll
Old 08-29-2005, 09:34 PM   #15  
RosieKate

Default I'm back!

Hi everyone....
I thought my family was the onlyone that put the FUN in dysfunctional, lol!
I just had a really busy week, now a really busy day. I should have time to post more in depth tomorrow. Help me out, gals...did I post my yahoo page with remodel pix here yet? I can't remember who I've sent them to ... I am so scattered these days...

Beach was great.... took the kids to the Oregon Coast Aquariium and played on the beach

Came home Wed. and did laundry. Thurs. I took the kids up to Goldendale and camped out on my mom's property until yesterday. A good time was has by all. Now we are home and the house is an utter mess.

My mom's husband's entire family lives in New Orleans and have been evacuated to Mississippi as of last night, but may be evacuated yet again. They figure they will lose their houses, but at least not their lives. A scary time, indeed.

Will post more tomorrow
K

Closed Thread