Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 06:49 AM   #1  

Question Weightloss & Menstrual Cycle

I was wondering if anyone out there that has had a considerable weightloss has experienced changes in their menstrual cycle. I have lost 172 lbs. and before I lost the weight my cycle would be every 26 days like clockwork. Now I'm late every month by a week or more. This month I'm 10 days late and don't feel like it's coming either. Did last week but it didn't. I'm almost 99% sure that I am not pregnant but I'm going to take a test this weekend.
I was told it could be that my hormones are all out of wack and that my doctor could put me on the pill to regulate it. Just hoping it's nothing serious !!

Fit4Life
325.6/152.8/140
Old 06-13-2001, 09:55 AM   #2  

I had problems with my cycle as a teenager when I was very very heavy. For me, weight loss improved my regularity. You have lost quite a bit of weight and that is bound to be a big adjustment to your body. If your pregnancy test comes back negative, I would schedule an appointment with your gyno just to be sure it isn't anything serious. I would be willing to bet it is your body adjusting to the weight loss.

Debbie
Old 06-13-2001, 10:04 AM   #3  
imaleader

Default menstrual cycle changes.

Hi. First, don't panic. Yes, there are changes when you lose weight because your cycle is determined by the amount of estrogen you produce. Estrogen is a fat-dependent hormone, meaning that it needs fat in order to be produced. Typically, women who have EXTREMEMLY LOW percentages of body fat (gymnasts, marathon runners, track and field athletes, anorexics) experience something called amenorrhea -- or the ceasing of the menstrual cycle.

Now, about the change in your cycle: Regularity is determined genetically and is different for every woman. The "28" day cycle is really only an AVERAGE based on information provided by millions of women. Here's more information than you need: Generally, women from southern climates, and women whose genetics hails from Africa, the Mediterranean, etc. start their periods YOUNGER (ages 9, 10, 11) and menstruate more frequently (25-28 days); women in northern climates (N.E. U.S; Canada) and whose genes hail from Scandanavia, Eastern Europe, the U.K., menstruate older (11, 12, 13, even 14) and have it less frequently -- 30-36 day cycles. These are ALL NORMAL cycles.

Your hormones are changing due to the weight loss, and depending on your age, will regulate to fit the new levels of fat and estrogen your body is producing as a result of this FABULOUS 172 pound weight loss. You are NOT late every month, you are just readjusting to a dramatic change in your body. Certainly, do see your physician, but don't be in a hurry to "regulate" your period. 28 days is NOT a magic number. It's just an average because scientists and statisticians (largely a male community) like things to fit neatly into numbers they can manipulate. Stay well, don't panic, and you'll be fine.

One last thing: Try to remember that the most regular thing about menstruation is its IRREGULARITY. It is prone to all sorts of shifts based on mood, stress (good and bad), environment, diet, lunar cycles, and attitude, among physical ailments, etc. So, take care and let us know how you're doing. Best. E

Old 06-13-2001, 10:04 AM   #4  
Parrothead

Default I've had the same thing!

I haven't lost as much as you, but the same thing has been happening to me. My cycles have gotten about 4 days longer, but are still regular. I can't even tell you how many pg tests I have spent money on! LOL! I saw my dr. and luckily nothing is wrong. She just mentioned that my body was just adjusting to the new weight. Good luck and I hope it goes well for you.
Old 06-13-2001, 02:25 PM   #5  

Hey, Fit! Longer cycles mean fewer periods each year--enjoy it!
Old 06-13-2001, 02:38 PM   #6  

When I lost 30 pounds the first time with WW (back in 86-87), I had a couple of instances when I didn't get my period for a couple of months or so. I was by NO means an elite athlete or marathon runner, so I attributed it to the fact of the weight loss & perhaps, for my body, I just didn't have enough fat to keep my periods coming on a regular basis.

I lost 45-50 pounds a year ago & haven't skipped any periods, but have noticed more irregularities & times when I thought I was late (this last month I was almost a week late - I thought about a pg test, too )

Fit4Life- 172 POUND LOSS - What a great accomplishment!! Good for you!!

Katie
192/147/145WW
Old 06-18-2001, 08:23 PM   #7  

Default Finally!!

This is the first chance I've had to post but I finally got my period on Friday morning !! Thanks for all your support.

Fit4Life
Old 06-18-2001, 08:47 PM   #8  
Running Babe

Mine became more erratic when I lost my weight and became more frequent so I went on the pill. It has always been heavy anyway so it's nice to have a light TOM. BTW, congrats on your weight loss!!!

Take Care

Ali
Old 06-25-2001, 10:36 AM   #9  

I was told by my doctor that weight loss actually triggers more estrogen to be released into the body because estrogen is stored in fat and as you lose weight, the fat that gets released also releases it's stored estrogen. This can cause temporary hormone shifts. My doctor said to expect a little irregularity until your weight stabilizes.

After talking to my doctor I began my own mini-science experiment. And over a few months I could see a correlation. Months where I lost more weight I had more minor irregularities. Either being a few days later then normal or some spotting a few days before. Months where my weight stayed the same, everything else was back to normal also.

I'm just guessing here ... since estrogen is stored in fat and you have lost 172 lbs (wow !) your cycle might behave completely differently now. The amount of estrogen stored in 350+ lbs is a lot different that the amount of estrogen stored in 150 lbs. You body is probably re-adjusting.

But, remember, we are not medical professionsls. If you are still worried, mention it to your doctor.

Last edited by gsc4; 06-25-2001 at 10:42 AM.
Closed Thread