Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-23-2005, 11:53 AM   #1  

Height: 5'9

Default Hate aerobics...love walking...HOW?!!

Okay all...I've come to the conclusiont that I HATE doing aerobics tapes. I don't have the money to spend on the gym or a peice of gym equipment for the home. I don't have access to a pool. But, I LOVE walking. I've lost all my weight so far by doing aerobics tapes and stuff, but I'm really getting TIRED of it. I have started jogging/walking, but can't keep up the jogging for a long.

I LOVE walking and I LOVE being outdoors. When I lost 50 lbs. before going into highschool (11 years ago!) I lost it all by walking. So, my question to you all is, if I walk everyday, at a brisk pace, mix jogging into it, for a half hour to an hour, can I continue to lose weight and keep it off? I know that I'll probably have to do some aerobics tapes come winter when it's freezing out, but for now, they're just more of a chore....where I really enjoy getting outside and walking! I just need to know that I'll be able to keep up with the weight loss this way.

Please help!!
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I responded to another person just a minute ago who is starting running. Check out this thread:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63965

Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:14 PM   #3  

Siren, I don't know how cold it gets where you live, but up here it's very, very cold in winter. And it's my favourite time to be outdoors. You'll be amazed how warm you stay, and how invigorated you feel after a fast walk or run in the cold. You do need to dress properly, but not as heavily as you would think. Just keep the outdoor exercise going, and you'll barely notice it getting colder. And all of a sudden you'll realize it's winter and you're one of those crazy people running in the snow. You can get cleats for your shoes for icy days, and my feet never get cold in ordinary runners (as long as I keep moving, that is).

Another good winter aerobic exercise is spinning, indoor group cycling. A real workout, and more fun that I would have thought.

And yes, I think you should keep losing, as long as you're eating properly as well. You don't really need the tapes, in my opinion. But lifting a few weights would also accelerate weight loss.

Good luck! If you want advice on appropriate winter exercise clothing, send me a PM or just check out some issues of Runners' World. They regularly have articles about really fantastic clothing.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:31 PM   #4  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

You will be fine with walking as long as you make sure that as you get in better shape to up the intensity, make sure that your heart rate is high enough (but not too high). Aerobics/cardio is anything that gets your heart rate into a certain zone, doesn't matter what. Walking is perfect for that, just as long as you keep it intense enough. If you still don't feel like it is, bring some 2 or 3 pound weights with you and do some simple upper body stuff while you are walking, that will get your heart pounding!!!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:32 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Like Carla I much prefer working out in the winter cold at -20C than in this +20C hot and sunny weather, this heat kills me!!

Sarah's right on in what she is saying about intensity... for some good outdoors intensity find a hill and go up and down it a few times, see how THAT feels for fun!! I love hill intervals, when I get bored on a treadmill I do hills...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:02 PM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I was walking just a mile a day at first and losing weight. I increased the distance and jogged some/walked some, until I could finally jog 3 miles. I did that each day and lost weight. I didn't start doing videos until later.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote