Old 08-18-2005, 08:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default What to Take to Work

This topic seems to have come up in a few threads I've read lately. So why don't we fess up all together. What foods do you take to work that deter you from the cafeteria, fast food joints ... the vending machine?

My contribution is to say that you need ziplock baggies and resealable containers ... lots of them. Make serving sized portions of all the good things. Carrots, tomatoes, cucumber slices, radishes, salad. low fat dressing, cottage cheese, chopped chicken, tuna, oatmeal, stirfry, berries, water ....

Take more than you'll possible eat of vegetables and water and grab a serving often.

More contributions anyone?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:34 AM   #2  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

I agree 100% with the "baggies" thing. I make up my own little snack packs in baggies on Sunday night so when I'm running out the door I can just grab a few things to have with me all day. I do baby carrots, sliced apples, and sometimes a hard-boiled egg. I'm also really into protein shakes. I have a huge tub of EAS whey protein powder. If I have time, I mix it up in the blender with fat-free milk, a banana, and some ice. EAS also has ready-made shakes (low carb and regular) that I sometimes have to grab if I have no time to make one up myself. I really like them (especially the chocolate!) I also recently discovered -- no giggling, please -- (Sylvester) Stallone High Protein Pudding. I'm serious. 22 grams of protein and (IMO) quite yummy. A tad pricey, but cheaper if you buy on bulk online. I ALWAYS bring tons of water, the occasional can of Diet Sprite Zero, and my beloved tuna on whole wheat sandwich.

I think the most important thing (like you said) is to bring MORE than you think you could possibly eat so if you're stuck in traffic on the way home (or whatever) you always have something healthy you can reach for.

I also try to avoid the hallway that has the vending machines...my eyes tend to wander off on their own and gaze longingly at the Doritoes .

Great thread....I'd love to hear what other people have to say.

Last edited by LovesBassets; 08-18-2005 at 08:41 AM.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:35 AM   #3  

Thumbs up

I work in a hospital cafeteria and I always need baggie snacks or else give in to temptation.

I like to bring: sunflower seeds; some Kashi cereal; some fruit like blueberries, an apple or a banana; a couple of high fiber crackers with some laughing cow cheese; some no sugar added applesauce; oatmeal; celery sticks and peanut butter; and every once in a while I'll bring a fruit smoothie.

Even though I can get the food for free at my workplace it's mostly high fat and sugar loaded and everything is soaked in butter or fried. What I ususally get from work is a salad, some yogurt, and some fruit--THAT'S IT!! After the first couple of weeks of eating healthy i would get sick just smelling all that grease never mind looking at it! It's amazing when you think about what you used to eat compared to what you eat now!!
fozziewaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:32 PM   #4  

We had tilapia for dinner the night before last and there was one filet left over. I just nuked it in a resealable container and it was very good.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:31 PM   #5  

I drink a TON of water/iced tea all throughout the day which keeps me feeling satisfied. For snacks I'll bring yogurts, BBQ Soy Crisps(to die for!), frozen grapes or almonds. I always make sure to make an appetizing lunch or else I may be tempted. Some things I like to bring is a tuna fish sandwich and some vegetable soup or chicken and veggies. Some days when I'm craving pasta I will have the Lean Cusine Spaghetti & Meatballs.. yum!
Nevaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 05:44 PM   #6  
Nox

Default I try to keep well hydrated too

a couple of bottles of water, one diet soda for that caffiene fix mid-day or towards the end of the day, and my morning jumbo green tea (the habit that replaced the gut-rotting/dehydrating coffee habit).

Usually I take a small container of whatever was leftover from dinner, and have been trying to supplement more with fruits and some vegetables, or an All-bran bar. Also, a low sodium v-8 to try to get a bit more of the vegetable nutrients in. I really, really am trying to not visit the vending machines as much - since all they have in there is chips and chocolate.

Doing 12 hours shifts is hard, and I am often hungry towards the end of the day - I wonder if adding a snack of some tuna and crackers or cheese and crackers may help ward off an evening binge when I get home. What do you think?
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:29 PM   #7  

I think it's Mel who says she never eats a meal without protein. So tuna or cheese and crackers sounds great. I eat all the time at work. The other gals laugh at me.
I also try to chug a bottle of water in the car on the way home. I have a theory that folks who pig out when they get home are really just thirsty and not really hungry. Works for me!
Old 08-18-2005, 11:00 PM   #8  
Nox

Also - something else - it has got to be EASY! I gave up make up at work so I could have that extra 20 minutes of sleep - I don't want to have to spend forever and a day packing a lunch! Sometimes if it is something that keeps well, I may package a couple of days worth to make it easier just to grab and go, like veggie sticks or a salad. That is also why I like leftovers - pack a serving in a container as I am making supper, and I am good to go the next day.

Tupperware sales are a god-send - I find that the actual Tupperware has better leakproof seals, and some of the sizes are perfect - like the mini-makes for small amounts of dressing on the side, or for a small amount of sunflower seeds for the salad, whatever.

We have a communal fridge at work - but I hate to use it because it is a mess. Leftover food, extra bags that don't belong there, etc., etc. Also, we periodically have a food thief at work who actually goes through the lunches and steals choice bits - how pathetic is that? Now I just pack an extra ice pack and leave it in my backpack.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:26 PM   #9  
Working My Way Back Down

I too try to bring stuff that has protein, and not just fruit or veggies. Today I have a Luna bar (10 g protein) and cottage cheese with fresh raspberries for snacks (and leftover goulash for lunch). I like to bring hard boiled eggs, and I usually make 5 or 6 at a time and keep them in the fridge so I can just grab one, since I'm into easy too! I also like apples and cheese, or yogurt with fruit. We don't have a vending machine or cafeteria, so it's just the "goodies" that other folks bring in that I have to avoid.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:35 PM   #10  

What worked for me last year (I was a teacher and had to eat quickly)--baggies of cereal (Cheerios, Shredded Oats or Shredded Wheat), mixed w/a few nuts (almonds or walnuts) and a little bit of dried apricot. Small plain ff yogurt with grape-nuts mixed in. Mini-cans of unsweetened fruit. Mini-applesauce. Various kinds of bars.

I definitely agree with the eating in late afternoon to help prevent evening binges. I also agree that end of day hunger is often thirst in disguise.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 10:42 AM   #11  

I invested in a little refrigerator that fits under the counter of my cubicle. I found it used in the classified ads and it has been a godsend. I keep water, flavored water, V-8, almonds, grapes, cherries, lf string cheese, raisins, teabags, etc. I also keep a giant baggie of Kashi cereal and bring in yogurt to mix with it. Sometimes I bring in a bag of lettuce (not iceberg!) or spinach, and some of those tiny little tomatoes and make a salad at my desk.
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote