Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-18-2005, 12:44 AM   #1  

Angry Rant: What's wrong with this picture

Disclaimer: This is mostly a temper tantrum but I thought I'd share with anyone brave enough to read...

So, I'm sitting with some colleagues happily eating my dinner. My dinner is a sandwich I made at home with 12 grain bread, ff cream cheese, sprouts, tomato, avocado and a veggie burger. I have baby carrots and a nectarine and a big ole bottle of water.

In front of me is the 100lb (when soaking wet and I promise I'm not exagerating) person eating McDonald's chicken tenders, french fries and a coke.

What is wrong with this picture???

She then says to me "Oh I wish I had your dinner, that looks good!"
And I thought to myself, "I wish I could eat french fries and not weigh 244lbs!"

The other day, her dinner was oreos!

Now, truth be told, I like healthy foods better than greasy convenience foods as a general rule. BUT what I don't like is how damn efficient my metabolism is!!! I lose weight SOOOOO slow! It's ridiculous! I want to beat the skinny girls with their french fries! It's just not fair!!!! If I eat so healthy, and have been consistently, why doesn't it show more? What makes my body think it has to suck all the caloric and nutritional value out of every single alfalfa sprout I eat!?

And the intelligent, mature woman in me knows that we just all have different bodies and that even thin people compromise their health by eating in unhealthy ways. She knows that it just takes time and that I'm losing slowly but I'm losing. She knows that it just isn't worth it to have oreos for dinner.

But then there's times like now when I just want to throw a fit!!!! GRRRRRRR!!!
BellaLumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Oh I feel your pain! I have a sister ( 1 of 7) She lays down with a bowl full of oreo's and does not move. She eat what she wants... She never workouts ..... She is a size 2! The rest of us have to watch it some more than others. My mom blames my dads side. LOL
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:13 AM   #3  

You can be still skinny and die of coronary heart disease, or get adult onset diabetes. Just because she can wear the best jeans doesn't mean she didn't collect some predisposition to ill health in the genetic lottery.

Which doesn't help when she is eating MacDonalds and your eating celery sticks, I agree!!! I have this battle too. On food days at work I bring strawberries, and the skinny girls bring donuts, cakes and cookies. And eat them! It isn't fair, and you have every right to grumble.

Just don't let it derail you (like it has me in the past), and picture her with fries sticking out her nose, works for me!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:13 AM   #4  
No more tears!

Bella! I just saw that movie "Supersized me" and it opened up my eyes....lol. I mean man come on, that man gained 15-20 lbs in a week and he got sick bad. I said to myself I'll never eat mcdonalds, burger king, wendy, pizza hut or nuthing nomore but subway. You saw that hair in McDonald's Mcflurry? Thats nasty! You don't know where them people hands being or nothing. I'm glad I started to eat healthier because I love myself. You should be happy you changed ur eatting habits. Believe me in the long run her body gonna tell her "its time to stop eatting mcdonald girl"........lol I know how you feel tho. I wish i can eat and don't get fat....lol I heard skinny girls say "Oh, im fat". I looked at them and i wanna go off but i don't....lol Man these girls are skinny no lie.....lol So hun, you are doing great and keep your eyes on the prize.

Last edited by BBWonwheels; 08-18-2005 at 01:20 AM.
BBWonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 02:35 AM   #5  

Bella, do I ever know what you are talking about! I have a friend that is 115 and 5'5 and can eat whatever she wants. Me on the other hand, I have to write all of my food down in a journal just to see why I gained or didn'd lose a certain week! It's annoying, but I don't want to beat them with their french fries...but that is a funny thought.
Universityprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:12 AM   #6  

No worries, I know it is really frustrating to see somone whoof down calorie packed meals and not put on a lb, but I try to think of it this way...once I get to my goal, I can too enjoy these foods in MODERATION (skpping Mc Ds but a nice Grilled Ck Sandwhich at Burger King would be grand).

Glad you shared your thoughts, it is nice to hear what goes on in our minds when we are not thinking outloud...

Sugar Free Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:15 AM   #7  

I know.. seems to unfair.. bloody genetics

Chin up.. just because they are thin doesn't mean they are healthy... I am sure that once you have reached your goal weight that you will be so much healthier than they are.
Marianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:27 AM   #8  
Nox

Default One day......

one day that eating style will catch up with her and she will either balloon up, and not understand why, or have a physical and be told her cholesterol, and BP are disgustingly high, her bones are brittle, and she has a heart full of fat plugs - yuck.

Don't go beating the skinny girls with the french fries - just eat that wonderful sounding sandwich (and it does sound wonderful), smile gracefully, and look forward to that skinny, healthy future in front of you!
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 05:57 AM   #9  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

Yup like Noz said it will catch up to them one day.
Every skinny girl in High school is overweight now. And some more than I am.
My sister is the same way, eats what she wants and doesnt gain.
But I have come to find out that her eating habits are just messed up.
So they are not showing it now. But they will later in life. Specially if they are not working out.
Keep up your eating habits, besides your choices sounded way better then MickeyDs any day.
Like BBw on wheels described "SuperSize Me"
That movie was a eye opener for my family..We have not been to MicheyDs since seeing it.
Keep Plugging thru the weight will drop and you will see more results.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:03 AM   #10  

Height: 5'1"

My husband and a few (very few) relatives are like that, seemingly eating anything and everything they want and not gaining weight. BUT, watch them closely and you will see the difference. My husband and my cousin too, "forget" to eat lunch sometimes and really "just can't eat breakfast". They also "can't eat a thing" when they are upset or nervous. I, on the other hand, have never forgotten a meal in my life. When I get nervous, watch out! They don't eat like us.

And I agree, that junk will catch up with them. Just because you're think doesn't mean you're healthy.

Hang in there! Think health!
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:27 AM   #11  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

That's pretty much what I was thinking Slim. My hubby and cousin are both ultra thin. My cousin was gaining a bit, but just told me last night she's back down to 99 lbs. After 2 kids, in her 30s, about 5' 4", and 99 lbs???? But I've seen her, and hubby (140 pounds 5' 11") go all day without eating. I in fact have to nag hubby to make sure he eats. I brought him a junior bacon cheeseburger from Wendy's yesterday at 1:00 and it was the first thing he ate all day. His next meal was mashed potatoes and a frozen chicken cordon bleu he baked at 11:00 p.m. And that was a GOOD day. Normally he doesn't eat until about 9:00 p.m., his one and only meal of the day.

They both eat quite unhealthy. And I can't change hubby's ways...can't teach an old dog new tricks. And granted, he has hyperthyroid which keeps his weight down, yet still, he just doesn't eat. It's the disease that makes him always feel not hungry in his case. My cousin just runs around all day and "forgets" to eat. And she eats unhealthy too, but I've noticed that even of what she does eat, it's not much. She might have a junior bacon and small fry whereas before, I would have a double decker and biggie fry...and still be hungry. LOL
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:33 AM   #12  

I agree, slim me.

I know there are people who have a naturally higher metabolism than most and don't gain weight as easily than the rest of us. And I don't have a problem beating them with their own french fries. LOL.

But, once I REALLY cleaned up my eating habits and began paying more attention at meals in general I noticed a few things. First of all, not ONE of my "naturally" thin friends or relatives EVER cleans their plate. Before, all I noticed was that they really pile the food on. I'd get distracted lamenting that I could never eat that way and stay thin and lost sight of the fact that they weren't eating that much food - they were just getting that much food.

Also, I notice they are all "nibblers". They graze all day long but never much at a time (6 small meals a day anyone!?). I have those friends that can wolf down fast food too. But, what I didn't know before is that is usually ALL they eat in a day. So, while they may not be healthy people, they are still burning more calories than they consume each day-which is the bottom line of being thin.

The people who never workout but are still thin used to really bug me too. This summer was the first I spent at the pool NOT feeling like a whale. You know what I noticed? I was still heavier than a lot of the women there but I looked MUCH better in my swimsuit. Skinny doesn't mean you don't jiggle - and a lot of them jiggled more than me. I try to remember that when I run into them away from the pool. They may look cute prancing around in their size two's but, underneath it all, most of them aren't any better off than I am.

So, friends I've always thought of as "naturally" thin are actually naturally thin eaters. Which is where the difference really lies. I have to make day to day decisions to eat the way they do (small portions, several meals a day, etc.) whereas they just do it.

When it is all said and done we can't really compare ourselves to each other anyway. Even if they can eat and eat and eat without ever gaining a pound doesn't change the fact that I can't. I decided a while ago that I might as well get over it and do what I have to do. I'm not necessarily happy about it but what other choice do I have? That's right, none.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:57 AM   #13  

Height: 5'4"

I'll second both sides of the issue. As a former "too skinny" person, my eating did catch up with me when I turned 30 and I gained 25#'s in about 18 months. And my weight hadn't leveled out at that. I was gaining about 2-3#'s a month there at the end.

On the other hand, my 34 yr old still too skinny ex-boyfriend who weighs 135#'s dripping wet with shoes on (grrrrrr) constantly talks about how much he eats and he will indeed eat an 3/4 of a large pizza for dinner. I always was incredulous at the amount of food that he would eat until I realized that half the time that was all he ate all day. OR the day after he ends up eating a small sandwich for lunch and then a couple of crackers for dinner.
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 10:06 AM   #14  

I feel your pain but have you taken a look at how many fat grams are in the chicken tenders?? Way too many to even look at for me!! AS for McDonalds fries I wouldnt eat them if they were the only food around!! Have you seen the movie Supersize me?? Its an eyeopener I have teenagers that are NOT ever going to eat McDonalds again because of watching that movie!! Teenagers!
My family and I were at a buffet place eating one day and there was a skinny girl getting fat free dressing and this was before I attemped any type weightloss and I though'd she was nuts for doing that being skinny!!
my daugher can eat anything and not gain but I told her that she needs to pay attention to serving sizes because I was like that too in my younger years!! Hang in there you will make goal!! GinaH
dgjp8991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:57 PM   #15  

Height: 5'1"

I totally agree with you jawsmom. That is not the way I am, nor will ever be. I will always have to watch what I eat. I might as well accept that because there is nothing I can do about it. Moaning and compalining "it's not fair" doesn't help. I've done enough of that! You have to work with what you have
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote