General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 07:33 PM   #1  

Default I feel lucky!

I just found gas for $2.59 a gallon.

What's it where you are?

Last edited by KarenH; 08-17-2005 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:23 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

$2.52 for the cheap stuff right across the street from my house. I only feel lucky that I'm not in Europe when it comes to gas prices. In Venezuela it's about $0.10/gallon.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:44 PM   #3  

Ten CENTS?!?!?! Maybe it would pay to drive over and fill up?
Old 08-17-2005, 10:14 PM   #4  

Last time I filled up it was $2.59. That was several days ago. Since I am currently only driving about 5 miles per day, it's ok, but when school starts in a week and a half, I am going to be driving the 160 miles 5 days a week that my husband already drives.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:21 AM   #5  

I spent about a month in Venezuela - part of the time camping with a stove that uses gasoline. Nobody speaks English and my Spanish is marginal at best. We had a cab driver taking us to a fairly remote area where there wouldn't be any gas around and needed to get our stove filled up. We gave him about $5 and asked him to get us a liter (half gallon or so?) while we were eating lunch. He came back and gave us the money back sort of laughing like it was a big joke. We kept trying to tell him that we really needed that gas or we weren't going to be able to eat for a week. We were finally made to understand that when he went to the gas station they just gave him the gas for free because they didn't have a denomination of money that small.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:27 AM   #6  

Wow, Julia!! Wow!
Old 08-18-2005, 10:34 AM   #7  

$2.54 in NE Arkansas.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:57 AM   #8  

I don't want to get into the politics of gasoline prices but...Venezuela is a huge oil producing country and my understanding is that they basically try to keep their economy going better by pricing gas at about what it costs to produce. Mexico on the other hand, is also a big oil producer and there is only one big gasoline retailer (Pemex-which I think may be gov't owned). Gas there was more like $3.25/gallon back in January, when it was about $2 here. Ironically, the stations closest to the US border were about the same as US prices - I guess because they had to compete. It cost us way more to drive to the Guatemalan border than it would have to fly -maybe even first class. Unfortunately, that pretty much rules out driving down to fill up (unless you can get a ferry from Miami )

Oh yeah, and compare that with most of Europe where it's somewhere between $5-8/US gallon-although some of that huge price is due to the weakness of the US$ (some of our UK friends can chime in here with something more specific). There's a pretty sizeable movement in the UK toward converting cars to run on a natural gas instead of gasoline.

Can you tell I like to travel a lot?
Old 08-18-2005, 10:58 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

It's $2.48 here (I'm in Okla.). It is now costing me over $200 a month just to drive to and from work. That's not counting any other driving.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:18 PM   #10  

It's $2.82 here in El Salvador.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:14 PM   #11  

I wish I understood all the politics of the oil thing JuliaTN.

It amazes me that with all the bright minds in the world (not mine, but others...ha-ha) that we couldn't come up with alternative fuel sources. For goodness sake, we can send pictures through electrical lines around the world!!!

Just venting.....$2.89/gallon here in Wisconsin...oy....
Old 08-18-2005, 09:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

Its $2.66 here for regular, at least according to michigangasprices.com, its crazy, and it sucks!

~Liz
Old 08-19-2005, 10:12 AM   #13  

In my previous post, I was wrong...it's now gone up. (I knew it would.) It's up to $3.09 here. Sucks. lol
Closed Thread