South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 06:17 PM   #1  

Question Anybody here that was on Atkins but turned to SB?

I've been on Atkins on and off for 4 years. Even though I've had great results and have kept off the weight that I did lose, I know it's not something I can do for life. I got the SB book and read it cover to cover. It seems so much more sensible, healthy and something I could so stay on for life. Now, my question is, when you went off of Atkins and onto SB, especially when you got to Phase 2, did you see any initial weight gain because you started eating more carbs, even though they were good carbs? If you did, did it eventually come off again? I just wondering. I mean, I don't mind losing weight slowly or even gain a little a first as long as it goes back off. Anyways, any problems with the switch?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 08-17-2005, 06:20 PM   #2  
it's always something

I can't speak from personal experience on this, but we did a huge survey of dieters last year and we were surprised by the number of people that moved from Atkins to South Beach. They seemed to do well with the transition, so you should be able to do it just fine. Hopefully some of them will share their experience.

Congratulations on your 68 pound loss!!!
Old 08-17-2005, 06:38 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome to The Beach. The transition can cause weight gain UNLESS you are very careful adding back carbs. Check out the FAQ to see how to do it.
See Phase II Emergency Handbook.
This certainly is a healthy way of eating and one we can follow for our whole life.
68 pounds! Good for you!
Old 08-17-2005, 09:20 PM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Sherri, I'm not much help, as I've only ever been on Atkins for about 4 days in a row.
However, I do want to welcome you to the Beach!
Old 08-17-2005, 09:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 223/193/123

Height: 5'0"

In the spring of last year I went on Atkins for a few weeks but ended up stopping after my brother-in-law went over the SB plan and the differences in how the diets/WOE worked. South Beach made better sense in relation to cholesterol and heart health and it sounded far easier to stick with as a life change. I did start SB last year and found it to be so much easier to stick to up until I got pregnant. Now I am back at it wholehearted and I believe it is worth any initial slowdown you might have in the first few weeks.

My FIL and MIL stayed on Atkins for about 1 3/4 year and they also ended up switching. My MIL gained a bit back at first but my FIL did pretty well. Right now they are off plan but my BIL and SIL have stayed on it religiously for 1 1/2 years and are doing great. They did not have much to lose but did it for health reasons for the most part. My BIl's cholesterol has gone down and his energy level is through the roof.

I don't know if I have been any help but I want to wish you great success!
Old 08-18-2005, 01:06 AM   #6  

Just had to pop in and say how awesome your stats are Sherrita!! I did Atkins once about 2 years ago for about 2 mos. The weight came off fast at first, but at the end of that two months I felt awful...didn't ever want to see meat or cheese again and had an all out carb fest for weeks...I didn't have the discipline to stick with it.
I love south beach. I haven't had any of the awful feelings I had with Atkins and it is so much easier to stick to!!
Old 08-18-2005, 10:46 AM   #7  

Wow, thanks for the responses! I checked out the Phase II Emergency Handbook and that helped alot! I feel more confindent now when I go into Phase II and know just to take it easy. Thanks everybody!
Old 08-18-2005, 12:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 223/193/123

Height: 5'0"

Let us know what you think of the differences, if you notice any, as you get going. I look forward to seeing your progress!!!
Old 08-18-2005, 01:06 PM   #9  
beachbum

Hi

I was on the Atkins diet before going back to WW for 2 year. I couldn't take that way of eatting for life even though I lost 10 in 2 weeks.After WW I decussed my weight with my doctor and he suggested to try the south beach.WALLA!! I starting losing again after maintaining & stalling on the WW plan. Lost 2 lb the first week, 2 the second and 2 the last week of Phase 1.

Hugs BB
Old 08-18-2005, 01:25 PM   #10  

I hope SBD will also kind of kick me out of this plateu I've been on for 2 months. My husband and I started phase I this week, and so far so good. I guess I'll see on weigh in day.
Closed Thread