Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-12-2005, 08:28 PM   #1  

Default Hi newbie looking for help

Hi I'm new here. I have to say this is a really great site. You all have such great info and so much support.
Well I'm 45 212 lbs. I'm planning a once in a life time trip to Paris with my sister in May of next year. I have been trying to lose weight anyway, but I was hoping this would give me the kick in the butt I need.
You see I hate the way I look I don't like to go to social events etc. I know if I don't loose the weight before Paris it will ruin the trip and I will be miserable. I know it shouldn't but I know me and it will.
Do you think it is possible to get down to 140 by May with made healthy food choices and walking 45 mins every morning on a treadmill ?
The sad part is I starting losing weight before and it changed my whole outlook I was less depressed and actually had happier times. Now you think that would keep me going but I've manage to put 15 lbs back on
I already know no to low carb diets are not for me. I can do the switch to whole grains though.
I would really like input on how all of you are achieving your weight loss.
Thanks for any help.
Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:49 PM   #2  
CE

I don't know if you can lose that much by than but everyone is different. I have been doing the this for 8 mths and have lost about 26 pounds but I was very active before I started. I would also set a smaller goal. Try for 10 pounds in one month or something like that. If you just have one long term goal you have nothing to look foward to now and also you might get fustrated easier. Just remember to take it one day at a time. One pound less is still less. Good luck. Keep us posted.
colsnanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/262.2/190

Height: 5'10"

It may or may not be possible to lose it all by May and as far as I know there's no real way to predict that. To get to 140 by May 1st, you'd have to lose 2 pounds a week, every week. Average is 1-2 pounds a week. I lost a lot faster than that at first, but I've really slowed down now. I think most people do when they get closer to their goals.

BUT, even if you don't get quite to 140 by May, you can still lose quite a lot between now and then and really improve your health and your self esteem and appearance. One thing to keep in mind is that even if you don't get all the way to your goal by your trip to Paris, you will still look and feel better than if you don't lose anything at all. Right?

I agree with the above poster that it might be helpful for you to set a smaller goal to keep in mind now. That's what I've done and it has really helped me. I know a lot of the women here have "long term goals" and "short term goals." I personally find it helpful to have a "time limit" on my short term goal, because it keeps me motivated. But I don't have a set limit for my ultimate goal weight. I'll get there when I get there.

I really think you can lose quite a bit between now and then if you stay on track. Are you keeping track of your calories at all? There are several places online that you can track calories, or you can just write them down on paper. I use http://www.fitday.com/ for my calories. That might be helpful for you too. There is so much support here, I'm sure you'll find that this board helps you to get to your goal.
gray eyed girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:38 AM   #4  

Thanks, I have been setting short term goals. My first goal is just to get under 200 lbs. I have seen on the board that some people have achieved
that kind of weight loss. I do realize that is the exception not the rule.
You're right in the fact that even if I don't hit my goal I should be feeling a lot better about myself. It is nice to have a place where people actually understand. I also know for my health both mentally and physically I have to do this.
I wasn't sure since I'm asking for what works if I should have posted under success stories or here. If you post on one board is it necessary to post on others or do the people in the forums usually frequent all boards ?
Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

I think setting smaller goals is what is helping me actually do it this time.

I've set 10 lb goals, and am on my second one now, and am just 1.5 lbs from achieving it. I've been setting it for about a month to loose 10 lbs, but so far, its been more like 5 weeks.

I had originally wanted to loose 70 lbs by Thanksgiving (I started around June 6th) and have realized that is most likely not going to happen, and changed my goal to Dec 1... and even then I don't think that is possible for me.. but even if I'm close to that, I'll be happy

I think its doable,but like someone already said, even if you don't make it to 140 by then, you'll feel better having done something now, rather then doing nothing.

Good luck!

~Liz
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote