South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 02:16 PM   #1  
SBKYMOM

Default What's expected?/Normal

Today is day 14 for me of Phase I of SBD. I've only lost a few lbs. I do feel that I've lost a few inches, but my question is - when does it really kick in? I have been really good on this, using the recipes, snacks, etc. What's the usual weightloss for people. I feel that I am eating so much better and aware of the sugar and bad carbs. I've gone by the "foods to enjoy/foods to avoid" lists. I exercise hard 3-4 times a week. Does this diet just not kick in for some people right away? Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks!
Sheree'
Old 08-11-2005, 02:20 PM   #2  

I am not that familar with SB in specific, but I do believe that any diet will "kick in" if you are eating less calories than you are burning off. I know that SB emphasises what it consideres to be the "right" foods to eat, but are you paying close attention to portion control? I think that portion control is one of the main foundations for any successful diet.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:44 PM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Anytime you start exercising, you start building muscle. So your weight can actually go up, but your inches can go down. It's not the same for everyone. A healthy weightloss is approximately 2 pounds per week, but it appears that the more one weighs, the more weight they may lose initially per week. I lost around 5 pounds per week when I started, but as I got smaller, so did the weekly losses. It may also take some people a little more time to notice a loss than others. All our bodies are different.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:21 AM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Everyone's body is different--there is no "normal." All that matters is that you are heading in the right direction, right? As long as you keep it up, your body will catch up. Perhaps you weren't eating too horribly to begin with, so beginning the diet didn't strike you as drastically as it may have some others. I had that problem when I began SB, too--I wasn't one who had been eating junk food much anyway, so cutting out the sugar/carbs didn't do a whole lot for me.

As an aside, you won't really gain enough muscle in just 2 weeks to actually affect your weight--it takes months to build that kind of muscle, but that's not to say you shouldn't strength train...we still need to work the muscles we have in order to keep them and only lose mainly fat instead of losing muscle along the way, too
Old 08-12-2005, 10:27 AM   #5  

I lost 4 pounds in phase 1 but I didn't have water weight to lose (I was on a diuretic). Everyone is different. I don't know how much you have to lose but those who have less to lose normally lose slower.

The important thing is that you are eating healthier and you are going in the right direction.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:22 PM   #6  

hang in there you are doing great.. the weight will come off
Old 08-14-2005, 08:00 PM   #7  

Hi Sheree.. I don't think you have done anything wrong - I just think that results can be varied for each person and it also depends on how much weight in total you have to lose. You sound like you are doing just great - keep up the good work!
Closed Thread