Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-05-2005, 12:22 PM   #1  

Unhappy Very tired

I started working out 3 weeks ago. I walk 3 miles (1 hour) then I do Tae bo everyday. My calorie intake is around 1400-1500 a day. Plus I breastfeed, I will not go any lower on the calories. For the past 2 weeks I have been very fatigued all day, I will take a nap and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I find that I am very moody also.
Now this irritates me b/c everyone I have taked to, talks about how much energy they have since they started exercising. Or even that exercising reduces stress. Even on the news yesturday they were talking about the benifits of exercising and how it gives you energy.
I go to bed at 9:30pm and get up at 6:00am to workout. I don't have any muscle aches or pain, I'm just very tired almost drained.
I want to know if this sounds normal or if anyone is going through this?
My husband and my mom tell me I might be doing to much That doesn't make any sence since there are people out there that do way more then me and they are fine. My mom runs ever day and she swares she has so much energy.
Rakkoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 12:27 PM   #2  

You can't judge your body on the basis of what others do/feel. If you are tired, you are tired. You might want to discuss it with your doctor -- tiredness CAN be a symptom of other things. But, cutting back might not be a bad idea. I'd also talk to your doctor about your calorie level against your activity AND breastfeeding. I'm on Jenny Craig and I think that someone of your weight and exercise level would be put on about 2000 calories. Breastfeeding clients are also advised that weight loss at a slower rate than "usual" is desired.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 12:51 PM   #3  

How old is your baby? I assume still under a year old since you are still breastfeeding. The younger the baby the more tired the mom. Are you mentally tired or physically tired? When you have a lot going on it can be hard to tell the difference but the answer to that question will help you decide how to proceed.

Funniegrrl is absolutley right. You have to listen to YOUR body not worry with what other people's bodies do for them. I also suggest you talk with your doctor since you are still nursing. It may very well be that an increase in calories is warranted.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 01:01 PM   #4  

My son will be a year old next week. I wil make an appt today to see what they say. Thank you
Old 08-05-2005, 01:15 PM   #5  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I agree with everyone else . . . glad you are making an appointment to see your doctor. Fatigue could be anything from just doing too much, not eating enough calories, PMS (if you are getting your period again after having the baby), mono (hope it's not that!), or just a common cold (or any number of other things that I don't know about). Your doctor will have the final say, but I'd suspect that you might not be eating enough. I've heard that breastfeeding uses something like 500 cals/day, which would leave your total that's not going to the baby pretty low considering how much exercise you are getting.

I'm no expert though, that's for sure.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 02:14 PM   #6  

Well as it turns out I can't get an appt till Sept. I'm positive I'm not pregnant. I haven't gotten my period yet since I had my son. I will try to increase my calories or drop either the walking or the Tae Bo for a time to see what happens.

Last edited by Rakkoon; 08-05-2005 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:01 PM   #7  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Just for reference, I have read that it is possible to get pregnant again after childbirth before you have a period, but since breastfeeding postpones fertility it's probably not too likely in your case. Anyway, I am no expert on any of this (especially having never been pregnant myself - I just like to read about pregnancy!). Hopefully upping your calories will solve the problem!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 06:01 PM   #8  

Well I took a pregnancy test..it was negative. I'm still I don't want to cut back on my exercising. I really want this weight off.
I'm also really happy with myself b/c I've never been this devoted to exercising.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:34 PM   #9  

I'm glad you took a test because I know one person and have heard about others that did become pregnant after having a baby, who were breastfeeding but never got a period. You could be low in iron or it could be your thyroid. Good luck with your dr. appt.

I always took a nap when my kids did - in fact I still have days where I have to have one. Pretty sad.

Rachelle
RachelleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:30 PM   #10  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Another possibility is what you eat to make up the calories - perhaps you could try making a change in your menu, like adding more protein? That might go a long way even without increasing calories.

I just had a household (male) example of what 2 days of a good chicken dish can do for energy. It was puzzling: we eat chicken often, usually baked just with a bit of butter and then added to stir-fry, or in salads or with Madras sauce. My boyfriend was complaining about low energy levels for weeks, neither of us could understand it. He had Italian crunch chicken, seasoned and slightly breaded and baked and he says he feels totally different... Not that I get it, but maybe there is something to it?
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 10:09 PM   #11  

One thing about exercise is that it takes TIME for it to show in improved energy levels. And, for some people it never does that. If you are working out and breastfeeding and caring for a baby, it sounds like there's plenty of drains on your energy. It's a lot to juggle at once! Plus our bodies just need more rest at some times and not others.

I'd look at WHAT you are eating instead of how much if I were you. Are you getting enough protein, enough vitamins, veggies, carbs etc.? Some of us function better with more carbs some with more protein (I'm not talking extremes just talking about more energy after a piece of fruit versus an egg for example). How are your meals spaced? Do you get snacks? Are you getting enough calcium (especially since you are also breastfeeding)? Are you eating enough to be satisfied? I think that's the first place I would look-- in addition to seeing your doctor, which you said you were going to do.

Good luck! And CONGRATS on the persistence in keeping up the exercise!!!!
BellaLumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 01:44 AM   #12  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

I have gotten the same way this last month. Very tired and feels like im drained. I was thinking it was the heat and when someone mentioned Iron, I was asked by a diffrent doctor to take supplements which I dont like taking any kind of pills. I wonder. I will have to look and inquire further on this one.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 06:03 AM   #13  

Here are a couple of web site on breastfeeding, diet, and exercising:

Baby Centre|Diet for a healthy breastfeeding mum

Kellymom.com::Can I diet while breastfeeding?

La Leche League FAQ: How can I lose weight safely while breastfeeding?
SOON2BE154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:08 PM   #14  

I'd say it's a good idea to stop exercising for one or two days out of the week to give your muscles and body a chance to rest up, and I'd imagine you'd be a lot less fatigued. It's not necessarily that you're doing TOO much, you could probably do the same amount of stuff in just five days and take two days off inbetween somewhere and not feel nearly as tired. Just a suggestion.
Rtael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 01:51 PM   #15  

You've gotten a lot of good suggestions here. This is what I would do if I were you:

1. Don't give up exercising. It's important not just to keep yourself fit or to lose weight, but to also boost your seratonin levels as well as to give yourself a break! But I do like the idea of doing it 5 days a week instead of 7 days. Your muscles and the rest of your body also need a break to recover.
2. Walking and taibo are both giving you aerobic workouts. On the off days, you could to some light weights or strength training.
3. Someone said it's what you eat that's important. So do check your nutrition levels and consider taking a good multivitamin every day. I suspect you do need to boost your calorie level.
4. Allow yourself to be tired. We go through changes -- just like the moon and the seasons. You are a busy mom. Allow yourself to rest and not feel guilty.
5. Your body is changing back to normal. Your hormones are adjusting themselves and getting ready to have a period again. That could be affecting your moods and energy levels as well.

Dinah
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote