South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 01:47 PM   #1  

Default Coworkers are eating themselves to death

Now that I know a little bit about nutrition, it drives me crazy to see what my coworkers are eating and feeding their families. I overheard an overweight diabetic guy near me talking to his 89 year old mother. He told her that there was no way the steak fingers and tattertots from Sonic he fed her for supper made her sick. I was thinking she probably had a ball of grease in her stomach.

Tomorrow we are having an appreciation luncheon of hot dogs and chilli.
I'm sure it will be the weiners that turn the white bread buns red, canned cheese, and a big can of chilli with a thick layer of grease on top. I'll be bringing my own lunch.

How did we get so stupid about food?
Old 08-03-2005, 02:04 PM   #2  
Kyemom

You are so right, mother. I hate to see the way others eat. There is candy sitting all over this office, and people consantely stuffing their faces with it. There are only 12 people in this office, and they ate a whole bag of Hershey's miniature in 2 hours. And, they al eat those Hungary Man dinners for Lunch....yuck!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2005, 02:46 PM   #3  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

I agree completely! My bf used to live on fastfood, potatoes, and grease. We have a long distance thing so I can't always be there to make sure he eats healthy but he has been trying more this past year though, he's been bringing salads to work and trying to eat more veggies. Baby steps, I guess!

I believe in personal responsibility about what people put into their and their families bodies, but I also believe in corporate responsibility. Those junk food ( it's not just fast food) giants got to be that way by duping the public into thinking fast, easy, processed, and chemically loaded foods were the way to go. But, like the cigarette companies, their day will come. We as consumers need to demand healthier choices and not patronize companies that do not listen to this demand.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:00 PM   #4  

Agreed!
Old 08-03-2005, 03:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Yes, oh my gosh, and you have to control yourself so you don't but in and tell them how bad they are eating....

I hate when I'm eating my well balanced, sbd friendly lunch, my co-workers eating their burger and french fries, fried chicken, or meat lovers pizza whine about not being able to lose weight. Then go back and get a large frozen yogurt because yogurt is healthy. Well, it might be in an 8 oz portion and if it were sugar free/fat free but you're throwing back 20 oz of full fat and full sugar yogurt not to mention the candy sprinkles you added.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:18 PM   #6  

The government should really take some steps to educate the public about nutrition. I thought my doctor could do it, but I've learned more from the SB books and you gals than I ever did from my $110 for 5 minutes physician. My grocery store has shelves of all different types of white bread and just one kind of 100%WW bread. When I go to buy clothes the stores seem to have lots of big womens sizes and few regulars. I'm sure there's a connection.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:26 PM   #7  
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy!

Funny you should mention the government Proudmother. I work for the Federal Gov. and you should see the amount of over-weight workers in my building. The most exercise a lot of them get is walking past our "on-site" gym to walk outside to smoke. I've never worked at a place that had so many employees undergo gastric bypass surgery. Sad, but seeing the treats on everyone's desk explains it all.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:53 PM   #8  

it takes years to get a drug approved but any idiot can package a twinkie and have it on the store shelves next week. in 2 weeks it will be on every desk in my office.

remember the lady that tried to sue mcdonalds for making her kid fat. i'm starting to see her point. a big mac should have a warning label: this crap can kill ya.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:01 PM   #9  
make your time

S/C/G: 184/184/140

Unhappy

Our office always has some very hard to resist treats in the breakroom--there is a small catering business in the same office building and she brings leftovers all the time--gourmet treats! This is the hardest time of the day for me at work--(hence the checking in now!)--afternoon sugar craving. I am the only person in the office who doesn't go out to lunch everyday --who has the money or needs the extra cal/fat to eat out every day?! I no longer get invited to go out to lunch, b/c I kept insisting that we go somewhere that sells salads with more than iceburg lettuce and cheddar cheese! We sometimes have office potlucks, so I always bring salad, veggies or fruit so I at least know I can eat something guilt-free.

Somedays I am just so proud of myself for avoiding temptation at work that by the time I get home, I start thinking it's okay for ice cream--y'know, like I've already used up all my willpower!
Old 08-03-2005, 04:36 PM   #10  
prepare for the BEST time

I work in a large medical complex, where pharmaceutical reps. visit daily, bringing gourmet sweets, pizza, chinese, and yes, cheesesteaks, lasagna and pastas.......they congregate in the CARDIAC area, where the line-leader who was morbidly obese underwent gastric bypass....we all cheered her on and watched her shrink 2 years ago. Unfortunately, it seems that the surgery is no longer working.....or she didn't change her mindset.....she has more food in her office area than I have in my pantry, and is constantly eating and planning the next luncheon.....her time at work is consumed with food and she's constantly baking cookies to bring to the office. Mostly she pushes food at people. She doesn't see herself. Sadly, she's digging her own grave with a knife and fork, she has multiple health problems stemming from the extra load.

I'm no saint, I will indulge once or twice a week, but I know how true the saying is "you are what you eat"....I'd rather be a tomato-romaine and veggie soup, than a greasy cheesesteak or a plumpy lasagna.... I'm working hard to get to my comfortable weight so I just avoid the area completely.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:40 PM   #11  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Proudmother, it's so hard to realize what we've all been doing to ourselves for so long! But now you can be the voice of wisdom crying in the wilderness! I know, pretty dramatic...but use your new knowledge to talk with others. Don't give them unsolicited advice, but take every chance you can to respond to their questions with factual information that will help them make better decisions. And bring lots of tasty SBD safe food with you to office and family functions so people realize how good you have it on this WOE.

I hope that our nation can figure things out sooner rather than later. It's literally killing us to keep eating this way!
Old 08-03-2005, 04:51 PM   #12  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

omg, this is so timely for me.

Today the whole cubicle row ordered in from ANOTHER fastfood place, these people don't know what bringing in a lunch is if it doesn't involve a menu and a delivery man!

I was just thinking on a lot of these things, and how much it sucks to be the only healthy person, because lunch time is such a challenge, but I fight it everyday, some days I lose. (I'm human)

Thanks ladies for all your thoughts, you ladies are some smarties!!!!
Old 08-03-2005, 04:53 PM   #13  
Kyemom

roflmoa.....Well, guess what???? I have just been given the duty of shopping for the office snacks!!!!! Oh, boy are these people in for a shock...come next week, there will be a lot more healthy stuff in this place!!!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2005, 08:46 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Keep us updated on what you buy, it will be interesting to see how you fill up the area. You may be surprised when people actually like the good stuff. Many times, they only eat the junk foood because they are in a hurry and didn't bring anything from home and have no time to run out and get something.

Old 08-04-2005, 08:55 AM   #15  

Height: 5'-2"

I'm caught between two groups of friends. One that LOVES to eat. (And I'm right there with them.) And the other is a group of environmentalists who are either vegetarians, or, at the very least, eat only healthy, organic foods. I need to hang out with that group more often... they're all slim and fit.

I hate that the big corporations have moved into the schools with their junkfood under the guise of helping to fund the education system. It really says something about our governments. They give huge tax breaks to the corporations, but "can't afford" to adequately fund our schools. Give me strength.
Closed Thread