South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 09:54 AM   #1  

Default Hummus

Do you ladies usually buy premade hummus or make your own? I've seen the premade at Whole Foods and wanted to buy it, but I didn't know if it was SB friendly. I've wanted to make it, but I have no idea where I'd find tahini sauce. Any ideas?
Old 08-03-2005, 09:59 AM   #2  
Kyemom

Ok...another dummy question from me...What does hummus taste like...please not another toe jam...lol Ruth!!
Old 08-03-2005, 10:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Height: 5'4"

I buy premade, and have done fine with it. You can get tahini from a health food store.

Kyemom, lol I havent recovered from the toe jam comment yet. Um hummus is kind of hard to describe, its a subtly nutty flavour, with garlic. I hope someone can describe it better than me!
Lets put it this way- its one of those foods that doesnt taste like its healthy - it tastes like its totally sinful!! (to me anyway)
Old 08-03-2005, 10:06 AM   #4  

I buy the Athenos brand. Just look at the ingredients to make sure that nothing is added that shouldn't be. I used to get the Greek flavor but then I tried the one that is Spicy Three Pepper and I like it even better.

I've seen the tahini at my grocery store and I have recipes but I just don't have the time.

I'm not sure how to describe it, kyemom. I'd never had it before and just decided to try a few different flavors. I really love the spicy one with my red pepper strips.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Tahini is roasted and ground sesame seeds. Sort of like sesame butter. Depending on your grocery store-it can be in the asian area with the soy sauce and stuff, it can be in the health food section, I've even seen it by the peanut butter but I think that might have been a mistake-can you imagine some unsuspecting person trying to make a tahini and jelly sandwich

Hummus taste like...hmmm...beans with spices I guess is the best way of explaining it, it's creamy, goes well with vegetable strips and SBD friendly crackers.

I always buy the premade stuff from Trader Joes, the ingredients are SBD friendly and it tastes pretty good. When I make mine from scratch it doesn't taste very good, the flavors don't blend together the way store bought does, could just be the way I make it too.

Have fun!
Sarah
Old 08-03-2005, 11:02 AM   #6  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I buy store brand or Athenos too. Or there is one by Three Shieks (?) that I like as well. Make sure you stick to serving sizes though!!!

Like Barb I like the Spicy 3 pepper but with peppers, I usually just get regular hummus if I want it with peppers.

I think it has the same consistency as vegetarian refried beans, a bit nuttier and mucho garlic!!!
Old 08-03-2005, 12:08 PM   #7  

I have tried the garlic kind and didnt like it at all. Maybe I will try another flavor one of these days
Old 08-03-2005, 03:15 PM   #8  

The red pepper hummus by Tribe is great. I get it at Schnucks if you have one around. I am going to try and make my own though, because it is a tad bit expensive considering how fast I eat it.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:57 PM   #9  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

I buy store brand. Usually Tribe or 3 Shieks, since that's what my store carries. I'm a huge fan of the Roasted Red Pepper in both brands, and sometimes like the Roasted Garlic or the original. Dill (Tribe) is really good too, but I only found it once or twice.

Hummus is wonderful...if you haven't tried it, you have to give it a whirl. It tastes a little like mashed chickpeas, but with the other flavors and ingredients, it's much richer and more flavorful. Very good!
Old 08-03-2005, 06:34 PM   #10  

Yes, the Athenos Spicy Three Pepper is fabulous! I had some (way too much) yesterday as soon as I read on here that we could have it. LOL!
Old 08-03-2005, 07:09 PM   #11  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I have stopped making or buying it as I find I just can't take a reasonable serving.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:56 PM   #12  

Stupid question here, but what *is* a "reasonable serving" of hummus? I couldn't find it on the food lists.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:38 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

2 T. is the listed serving size on the side of the container. It has a lot of fat-good fat but it's still fat. I think the goal is not to eat the entire 8 oz in one sitting .

Sarah
Closed Thread