Old 07-29-2005, 07:46 AM   #1  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Default Eggs is eggs...?

Right, yesterday I ate 4 eggs!

You see what I'm wondering about is...

They supposedly have lots of cholesterol in. I say supposedly since I have read in some places that the cholesterol in eggs is not the same as cholesterol in the blood, and eating lots of eggs does not necissarily raise your choelsterol.

Anyone have any definitave answers on this?
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:34 AM   #2  
it's always something

A study published by the Harvard School of Public Health found no relationship between egg consumption and cardiovascular disease in a group of over 117,000 nurses and health professionals that were followed for eight to fourteen years. There was no difference in heart disease relative risk between those who consumed less than one egg a week and those who ate more than one egg a day. Saturated fats, on the other hand, are much more likely to increase blood cholesterol levels than consuming cholesterol itself.

I would suggest having your cholesterol checked regularly by your doctor or an area wellness center, and monitor your diet around those times so you can see what affects you personally.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:58 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Eggs are NOT fattening (if they were, I'd weigh 300 pounds, since I eat them EVERY DAY for breakfast, and have done so for a few years now - 1 whole egg + 3-4 eggwhites).

Eggs are no longer put down by nutritionists - in fact the American Heart Association says it's okay to eat an egg yolk each day (the yolk contains the majority of the cholesterol found in eggs).

A large egg contains a mere 70 calories - I wouldn't call that 'fattening'.

As far as Eggland's Best, if you want to pay almost $4 for a dozen eggs, go for it...speaking of specialty eggs here's an interesting article which appeared in the papers recently (25 July 2005) titled "Specialty Eggs are on A Roll":

Quote:
Speciality eggs are on a roll
FOOD

By AMY COLBERTSON
Knight Ridder Newspapers
It's what a chicken eats and where she lives that determine the "organic" and "Omega-3" labels on these eggs.
Fort Worth Star-Telegram Photo/RALPH LAUER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See related story:
Perfect anytime

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Remember the days when shopping for eggs was just a question of large or jumbo?

Today's supermarkets present dizzying choices: "free-roaming," "Omega-3," "100 percent organic," "cage-free," "compatible with cholesterol-reducing diet," "natural sunlight," "hand-gathered," "vegetarian diet," "high vitamin E," "humane harvest" and "vegetarian hens with roosters."

A trend born of the egg's new and improved nutritional rap and fueled by the zeal of low-carb dieters, these designer eggs bear designer prices. So what makes them different? It boils down to two things: what the hens eat and how they're housed.

The specialty eggs getting the most attention are from hens fed a diet engineered to cut down on the yolk's fat and cholesterol and to boost certain nutrients -- especially omega-3 fatty acids, which studies have linked to heart, brain and eye health.

Flax, kelp, marine algae and vitamin E supplements are most often cited as the diet additives that enhance eggs' omega-3 nutritional profile. Marigolds boost the amount of lutein, which may promote good vision, as well as giving the yolks a more intense hue.

The nation's top-selling enhanced eggs, Eggland's Best, boast 100 milligrams of omega-3 in each egg, almost three times the typical 35 milligrams, as well as 25 percent less saturated fat than ordinary eggs. They also claim 180 milligrams of cholesterol, as opposed to the typical egg's 215, and 10 times the amount of vitamin E.

Eggland's Best says a special diet of grains, canola oil, rice bran, alfalfa meal, kelp and vitamin E is what's behind its pumped-up eggs, which generally cost more than twice as much as regular eggs.

The cost doesn't appear to be deterring buyers. Eggland's Best reported a 21 percent sales increase in 2004.

Are the nutritional claims accurate? Last year, Consumer Reports tested the amounts of the omega-3 fatty acid DHA and vitamin E in a popular specialty brand, Gold Circle Farms cage-free eggs. The tests found the nutrients to be in line with the claims on the label.

In terms of whether the benefits justify the cost, though, the picture is a little less clear.

Some types of omega-3 fatty acids are more helpful to the body than others. Many of the high-omega-3 eggs contain only a less potent type called ALA, and some don't contain EPA, which the American Heart Association recommends along with DHA for the best heart benefits.

Certainly, oily cold-water fish such as salmon are a better source of DHA. Consumer Reports notes you'd have to eat more than a dozen of the Gold Circle eggs a week to get the amount of DHA you'd get in two 3-ounce servings of farmed Atlantic salmon.

And even if you're avoiding high-oil fish because of fears of mercury contamination, CR said, fish oil pills are cheaper than the designer eggs.

But Anne Van Beber, associate professor and chairman of the department of nutritional sciences at Texas Christian University, believes it's "always better to get your nutrients in food because they're packaged along with other nutrients that work in synergy."

For someone who won't eat fish, like her son, she said, eggs are an excellent way to get more omega-3s.

"I feed my son an egg almost every day," Van Beber said. She's "a big fan of eggs in general" for their protein, vitamin and mineral content. And, although she complains about their cost, she buys the omega-3-enhanced Eggland's Best or Eggs Plus.

"I really do think in the long run it's worth it to pay the extra price for the DHA, the EPA and the extra vitamin E," she said.

Van Beber is one consumer who thinks the enhanced eggs "taste really fresh and have more flavor," though taste tests tend not to bear her out. A blind taste test last year by the San Francisco Chronicle food staff, for example, didn't find any significant differences in flavor among 19 brands of specialty and regular eggs.

There's little doubt in the minds of many consumers that true "yard eggs," from pasture-raised hens, taste richer than regular supermarket eggs, but it's unlikely that any eggs you'd buy at the grocery came from hens that wandered the barnyard, pecking and scratching. "Cage-free" simply means the hens' coops don't crowd them so closely into a confined space that they can't move around. If the eggs are "free-range," that probably means the coops have openings that let the hens roost outside. "Fertile eggs" indicates the hens get to interact with roosters.

Is it worth it to pay extra for better poultry living conditions? There's probably less risk of bacterial contamination in eggs from hens that aren't crowded closely into cages, but for many, it simply boils down to humane considerations.

There's more on the horizon for designer eggs. In Canada, the Edmonton Journal reports University of Alberta researchers are developing an egg with an immunoglobulin that may reduce allergic reactions to the gluten in wheat.
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:38 PM   #4  
Mel

Then don't eat all the yolks. I eat at least 6 whites a day, and 3-4 yolks a week. Egg whites are an excellent, fat-free source of protein. They can be used in all sorts of recipes or eaten plain (cooked!). If they were fattening, as MrsJim said, I'd be a blimp too. Instead, I've maintained my loss for almost 4 years now and have steady decreased my bodyfat percent and increased my muscle mass.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:42 PM   #5  

From what I've read, eggs do have a lot of cholesterol. You can read the nutrition facts on the back of the carton to see that. However, some people are not sensitive to the cholesterol that is consumed. I was affected by the cholesterol in eggs, but you might be different. Actually, I just eat egg whites now...it takes some getting used to, but now I cant have my egg any other way.
Universityprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:13 PM   #6  
it's always something

I think there's some confusion here The yolks contain the cholesterol, but that isn't the same thing as being fattening. Cholesterol won't affect your weight. Your body needs some cholesterol to function properly. It's used for everything from maintaining cell walls to digestion. Too much cholesterol in your blood can cause fatty accumulations in arteries that can block blood flow and lead to a heart attack. Saturated fats are much more likely to increase blood cholesterol levels than consuming cholesterol itself.

Anything is fattening, if eaten in excess, because consuming more calories than we burn is what causes excess weight. As MrsJim pointed out, an average egg only contains 70 calories. A small apple contains 70 calories. An egg only contains about 4 grams of fat, too, which is nothing to be concerned about. Unless, of course, you fry it in butter or bacon grease

It's all good
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote