Old 08-01-2005, 09:16 PM   #1  
30lbs gone forever!!

Default What do you think of my new exercise plan?

My weight loss has slowed down considerably, so I figure it's time for me to start doing more exercise than just walking. I'm joining a gym when I get paid at the end of the week and I will start going next Monday (the 8th). Anyway, here is what I have planned for a workout.

Monday - 1 hour
30 minutes fast walking
15 minutes weights
15 minutes high impact cardio

Wednesday - 2 hours
30 minutes fast walking
30 minutes swimming laps
30 minutes weights
30 minutes high impact cardio

Friday - 2 hours (same as Wednesday)
30 minutes fast walking
30 minutes swimming laps
30 minutes weights

Sunday - 2 hours
30 minutes weights
1 hour swimming laps

Does that sound ok? I'm kinda new to this stuff, so I was hoping some of the gym veterans here can give me a little input. Now all I have to do is go shopping for some new sneakers and a couple new pairs of sweatpants because the ones I own now are so baggy I'd be embarrassed to go out in public wearing them lol.

Last edited by krysidaisy; 08-01-2005 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Edited cause the chart I posted was wacky lol!
krysidaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Hi Krysi-

I think it's really up to you to decide how much/often you want to work out. The workout plan you outlined sounds great! you might find that when you start doing it regularly you'll want to switch the order/activities, and that's fine. Personally, I try to fit in what I can, and it helps to go at approximately the same time every day- makes it more of a routine than a general "i'll go after work" idea- which, while it probably works for a bunch of nicely motivated and inspired people, just won't for me. I've also found that it's helpful to do two or three different things for cardio, as long as I'm consistent about the intensity- it breaks it up on the days that I feel sluggish.

Anyway, before I babble on more, I'll just say good luck and let us know how it goes! Sounds like you'll really be working out like a pro.

Let us know how it goes!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:32 AM   #3  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Hi, Krysi! That's a great schedule -- it really looks like you put some thought into it, and you're committing 7 hours/week to exercise, which is great! Just a quick note on the weights -- just ignore me if you've already planned for this -- I don't know if you're planning splits or full body workouts, but you'll probably want to make sure you give your legs more than 2 days recovery. They're a larger muscle group, and if you really work them properly, you'll probably find that you can't hit them again 2 days later. You may know this as well, but make sure you're getting enough protein to fuel the rebuilding of your muscles! You'll want to consume some protein (along with a simple carb) within an hour of doing weights in order to get the most out of your efforts. You might want to add a little stretching on your off days, since your sore muscles might get tight. (Certainly the swimming will help with that on those 3 exercise days that include it.) Have you lifted weights before?

Seriously, your schedule looks great! Great job! I hope you join us in the weekly exercise thread -- it's so motivating and interesting to hear what others are doing. Enjoy!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:33 AM   #4  
30lbs gone forever!!

Dana - I'm better off to schedule my exercise too. Most days I do fine without scheduling, but if I'm not feeling 100% when I wake up in the morning I can usually find an excuse to avoid exercising if I haven't alloted a specific time to do it. I'll be going to the gym in the evenings from 7-9 on the 2 hour days and from 9-10 on the one hour day.

Varying the cardio does sound like a good idea, I really like the eliptical, so I'll probably spend a good deal of my 30 minutes on it..... maybe 20 and then 10 minutes on something else. That way hopefully I won't get bored of the eliptical and stop doing it, it really kicks my butt, but in a good way.

Oh, and I probably will vary the times of the activities on a daily basis, doing whatever I want to do most absolutely last keeps me working through the stuff I don't like.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-02-2005, 03:48 AM   #5  
30lbs gone forever!!

Sarah - Thank you for the advice on the weights, I'm mostly clueless when it comes to weight lifting lol. After your advice, I think I will alternate working out my legs and arms with the weights. I think Monday and Friday will work for my legs and Wednesday and Sunday for my arms. Boy I'm certainly going to have this well planned. I had no idea that eating protein and simple carbs before lifting weights would help! Maybe I should check out the weight lifting forum here.

I've been meaning to start pilates for a while now and have never gotten around to it, maybe I'll use a beginners video as a stretching routine for my off days.

I have lifted weights before, but I never stuck with it, and I was only working on my arms. It was when I first started trying to lose weight this time, and in the first three weeks I lifted weights I gained 6lbs! I know it wasn't fat I was adding, but I just couldn't handle the gain when I was trying so hard to get started. I feel a little better about the idea of maybe gaining a few pounds now that I have lost 25.

I'll definitely be joining the exercise thread, but not until next week when I start to have something interesting to post. I know it'll help to keep me accountable, because this site has a tendency to do that.

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-02-2005, 01:49 PM   #6  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Hi, Krysi! I think your Mon, Fri/Wed, Sun split sounds great! You might want to add in some exercises for your back and shoulders on upper body days -- you'll find some great ones at ExRx. (Or I can help, or the LWL folks can help.)

I apologize; I wasn't at all clear about WHEN you were to consume the protein and simple carbs Those should be consumed within an hour AFTER you do weights, so your muscles have the fuel required to rebuild. When you lift, you're tearing the muscle fibers, and the growth and progress comes from the rebuilding -- which, coincidentally, is what causes the soreness, so when lifters say "no pain, no gain" they really are telling the truth!

On a separate note, I hope that you're working towards lifting as heavily as possible. That's where the real progress comes from -- not lifting 2 pound weights! You have to start small though, and work your way up, so don't push yourself too soon. Just know that you should be able to increase the poundage pretty regularly, depending on how often you're lifting and how effectively you're working that body part. There are some different approaches, but it's generally accepted that the appropriate weight is that which you can *just* lift 12 times. Then when you can do that without difficulty, it's time to switch up! (And celebrate!)

The weight "gain" is usually just water retention within the muscles -- which dissipates over time. It's important for folks (not saying you! ) to be mindful of overeating when they're lifting, because it can make you hungrier.

Good luck, and have fun!

Last edited by lessofsarahtolove; 08-02-2005 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Saw I had a CRAZY typo!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 11:14 PM   #7  
Laura

Good Luck!!! You can do it!
alphabetsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:47 AM   #8  
30lbs gone forever!!

Sarah - Ah, ok..... the protein/carb thing makes more sense now!

About the amount of weight I'll be lifting, I'm definitely working towards being able to lift as much as possibe. I'd feel kind of silly lifting 2lb weights! When I was lifting before I was lifting as much as I could 10 times, and I found that I had to bump the amounts up sooner than I thought I would.... after a week actually.

About overeating, I'll still be keeping track of my calories with diet power, so I should be able to keep a handle on it. Actually being a little more hungry might be a good thing for me though, because now that I'm eating healthier foods, I'm having a really hard time eating enough calories! Most days it's a struggle to get 1000 calories into myself. For example, today I feel like I pigged out completely, but I mostly ate veggies and kashi cereal so my cals are still soooo low.

Thank you so much for your help though, I really appreciate it. You're a huge source of motivation for me, you're always so positive and upbeat and your advice is always right on target.

Laura - Thanks for the encouragement.