Old 08-01-2005, 07:56 PM   #1  

Default question about joining

Hi, I am hoping to find out a little more about LA Weight Loss. I have had friends who have done it and really liked it, but they had a lot of weight to lose. I on the other hand have only about 10-15 pounds to lose...in fact, I am not technically overweight for my height. It's just that I have put on 15 lbs in the last couple years, and it doesn't fit my frame too well, and I am in a constant battle with over eating and binge eating. I need something more structured than I can come up with on my own. But since I am not technically overweight, I didn't know if this is the program for me? I'd like to try it, but do you see just average weight people in the centers? I called tonight and they say they have no minimum weight to join, like weight watchers does, but.... I could join weight watchers, I am far ennough over their limit (you have to be at least 5 lbs over a certain #, I am 11 over it), but I don't know that I want to have big meetings to go to... I don't know. Just looking for your opinions. Thanks!
Liza608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:13 PM   #2  
FirmingDi

S/C/G: 228/228/135

Height: 5'7"

Hello. LAWL can be expensive to join, although less when you have less to lose. You may want to see if you can find the details here for the green or gold program and try that. Some people on this board do the program without joining the center and a bunch buy stuff/plans off eBay.
firmingdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 02:16 PM   #3  

My friends unfortunately did it a few years ago, so I don't think their info is up to date. Otherwise that would be a great idea. I guess maybe I'll just wait till I see the program stuff on Ebay...I looked last night and only found products, not any actual guides to the program.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:44 PM   #4  
FirmingDi

Here's the rough description on the older progam as describe on another site, but they customize it for your weight and goals when you join. You can search the thread to learn the difference. Keep checking eBay and search under LA Weight Loss.

The basic meal plan is similar to that outlined below:

Consists of 2 PROTEIN SELECTIONS, 3 FRUIT SELECTIONS, 3 VEGETABLE SELECTIONS, 2 STARCH SELECTIONS, 2 FAT SELECTIONS, AND 2 PROTEIN SNACKS.

Selections are made from the following food groups.

PROTEINS
2 Servings Daily
The following foods must be measured to equal 4 ounces:
steak * beef * lean pork * liver * ground beef * lamb * veal * ground turkey * crab * salmon * fresh tuna * swordfish * 1 % cottage cheese * canned tuna, low sodium *
OR
The following foods must be measured to equal 6 ounces:
chicken breast * turkey breast * codfish * flounder * shrimp * bluefish * sole * scallops * whitefish * red snapper * haddock * lobster * grouper * yellowtail * orange roughy * striped bass * halibut *

Two eggs or egg substitutes may be eaten in place of one protein
1 ounce of low fat hard cheese may be eaten in place of one protein

FRUITS
3 Servings Daily
apple * lemon * orange * tangerine * peach * plum * kiwi * banana, (one
small) * grapes * strawberry * cherries 12 medium * cantaloupe * watermelon *
cranberries * raspberries 1 cup * blueberries ~ cup * grapefruit ~ medium * papaya 3~ cup * pineapple 3~ cup * prunes 3 medium * apricot 3 medium *

VEGETABLES
3 Servings Daily
celery 2 stalks * cucumbers ~ large * green peppers ~ large * radishes 12 medium * tomato 1 small * One cup of the following equals 1 serving: asparagus * bean sprouts * broccoli * cabbage * egg plant * mushrooms * lettuce * green onions * string beans * wax beans * mustard greens * spinach * kale * zucchini * squash * cauliflower *

STARCHES
2 Servings Daily
1 slice diet bread * 1 rice cake * ~ medium baked potato * ~ cup brown or white rice *
You may substitute ~ cup of the following cereals daily for one starch:
Total * Special K * Bran Flakes * (not with raisins) Grape Nuts * Shredded Wheat * Puffed Rice * Oat Flakes * or 1 packet instant oatmeal or cream of wheat. 1/4 cup cup Skim milk is optional each day.

FATS
2 Servings Daily
one tablespoon diet margarine * one tablespoon diet mayonnaise * You must use LOW fat, not fat free.

PROTEIN SNACKS
2 Servings Daily
These will generally be soy-protein based bars.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:47 PM   #5  

Thanks Firmingdi! Are the bars in addition to this, or do they count as part of it?
Old 08-02-2005, 09:24 PM   #6  
FirmingDi

The LA Lites are the protien snacks it refers to. It's not the exact plan. It's the basic and I think they've revised it recently with the free to live program. There's no way I'm typing up all the portion sizes, etc. for my plan. This was easy to copy and paste. Hope it helps some, but the best thing is to sign up for the program or buy a copy somewhere.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:12 AM   #7  
FirmingDi

No, I got it from this diet review site. It gave me an idea what the plan was and the pros and cons we're all familiar with before I joined. Here's the link.

http://www.everydiet.org/la_weight_loss.htm

It's not exact, just an idea.