South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 07:21 AM   #1  

Default Back on the Beach HELP!

I know I need support. This morning I am making a decision between Weight Watchers and South Beach. I was successful last year on SB, but gained back 8 pounds. I tried to do SB again starting in June, but the summer fruits looked too good, and I just stopped dieting.

Now, I need to regain my self-control. SB seemed easy last year, but confining (especially the first 2 weeks without breakfast cereals or oatmeal.) However, going to meetings with WW is a pain and more expensive, but they have more variety of foods.

Does the SB online help at all or is this web site very similar? I know this site is supportive. Maybe I need a buddy. Last time, my buddy gave up after 1 week. Perhaps I need someone who is similar to me in weight loss needs.

Obviously, I'm LEAN(ing) towards SB, but would someone please WEIGH in on this decision to help me out.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:49 AM   #2  

Hi Carol

I am a huge fan of SB, I have been on it for just under 5 weeks and have dropped 14 pounds. I have tried different diets in the past and just couldnt stick to them !!

I didnt find phase 1 to be bad at all and I am a huge fruit eater and also love my wine with dinner...both of which I missed very much but I got through it all right. I sat down with my SB cookbook and also looked into this sight which a friend told me about. I thoroughly searched through all the phase 1 recipes and made a list of what I needed and had my dinner meals planned for the week. That makes it easier in my opinion if you know ahead of time your meal plans and have ingredients on hand your less likely to "change your mind" and fix something off plan.

My hardest meal was breakfast...I like eggs but didnt want them everyday. I made some of the recipes I found and they were good but still had an "eggy" taste to them. Needless to say, I was happy to start p2 to get different breakfast foods but for dinner my meals are still mainly p1 except the occasional jasmine rice I make with a shrimp dish.

I have a few friends who have been successful on WW but most say keeping track of points is a pain and the fact that you can have "dessert" foods makes it hard to stick too!! I have never tried the WW diet myself but I am fairly certain I wouldnt have stuck to it!!!

Good luck in your decision!!
Old 08-01-2005, 08:09 AM   #3  

Default You're Very Persuasive

Thanks for the response. I just had my eggs for breakfast! I forgot about the wine! Planning sounds like the thing to do. That will probably take the same amount of time as going to a meeting.

I think I made my decision. Now I need to have great ideas like yours to help me get by. I have time to plan today. Tomorrow, school starts for me and I'll be planning for the next 40 weeks again.

I'm 53 years old, weigh 168 at this moment. I weighed 160 at my lowest during this year and was very happy. Then, food and cruise happened.

I keep on getting to the starting gate, start to gallop, but then falter before I even get half way round the bend of Phase 1.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:15 AM   #4  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

I tried WW a few years ago and it was a pain. In the meetings I felt like I was being lectured to like a child and keeping track of points was a pain. Plus they, or at least they did then, allow white flour and white sugar which is not healthy at all. Yes, the first two weeks are strict on SB but that is so your cravings for the foods that made you fat will go away...and they do. I guess some people enjoy the support at WW but I find this site is good for that. Plus there's no way in h**l I'll ever get up and weigh myself in front of a bunch of people again! I think you'll like SB if you can get through the first few days, after that P1 sails right past and b4 you know it you're on to P2!
Old 08-01-2005, 08:34 AM   #5  

I like this forum more than the paying one and have heard that a lot from most people on here. I tried WW for a short time and having a little piece of this and a little piece of that ended up being more than a little. I needed something more structured and my blood sugars during WW were still all over one second fine and the next feeling starving and had to eat a ton to feel better. SBD is the first plan that hasnt made me feel like that. Good luck in whatever you decide!
Old 08-01-2005, 11:43 AM   #6  
HERE I GO AGAIN!

S/C/G: 182/182/130

Height: 5'3"

I got off SBD when my dad got sick. I was with him constantly at the hospital. And although I did fine for a couple of weeks. The food choices were limited so I got off of it. He was in the hospital 2 months. I just got back from vacation yesterday and immediately went to the store to get the foods for Phase 1. I remember how wonderful I felt while I was eating right and how great the plan was when I finished phase 1. I figure I can do anything for 2 weeks...and it does help get me over the cravings for sugar...Big plus!!! I am back on it today!!!! I did try WW a year or so ago and got very tired of counting points....also if you eat all your points but are hungry later....too bad. I didn't like it.
SBD for me!!! Good luck to you!!!!! You can do it!!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 11:55 AM   #7  

I am dealing with the same thing right now. One day I will think that WW is the way to go but then I feel like I have too much freedom, so then I want to do SB. Then I feel too restricted! It's crazy. If I could ever get past the first 3 days on SB I know I will love the results, all of my friends have done amazing. And all of the counting points and worrying about food 24/7 on WW is driving me crazy! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Jacquerlyn
Old 08-01-2005, 12:02 PM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome new chicks and returning ones. Be sure to read the revised food list in the FAQ section. Yes, Phase I is slightly restrictive but is certainly doable for two weeks.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:10 PM   #9  
SBKYMOM

Default New - on South Beach!

Hi, I could use an experienced South Beach buddy here. I'm on day 4 of Plan I. It's going well, and I've tried 2 of the recipes: flank steak and salmon, and they were wonderful for dinner. Just need a support buddy - with good food ideas. Thanks!
Sheree'
Old 08-01-2005, 04:18 PM   #10  

Welcome to the beach! We tend to be one big support group here. We have a daily thread that most people post in and then you can always start a thread whenever you have a specific question. There are lots of us who have been on South Beach awhile that will be glad to help. There is also a thread that was started for people who started phase 1 today (or close to today).
Closed Thread