General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 04:19 PM   #1  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Default where to buy unusual sizes of bras?

I'm hoping some of you ladies can help me here . . . I am naturally endowed with breasts that are far too big for the rest of my body (especially now that I've lost a lot of fat off my back!), and I absolutely have no idea where to go to find bras in my size.

I used to think I was a 36DD, then after losing weight I managed to fit into a 36D. Since then I've realized that the band is really far too big, and I tried on a 34DD that also felt like the band was too big. After re-measuring myself last night I discovered that (assuming I measured right) I am somewhere around a 32DDD or a 30E. Do stores that sell these sizes exist other than online? I'd love to be able to try before I buy.

If you don't know of any stores I could try on bras in these sizes at, what is the best place to order from online?
Old 07-29-2005, 04:37 PM   #2  

Why don't you go to Victoria Secret and have them measure you. The correct fit is so important, I'm a 38C and use to be a 38DD.....
We also have a store here at a mall called Bra World......they measure too.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:23 PM   #3  
slow and steady

I've been to Victoria's Secret -- the problem is that they want to make money, not to give me the best bra possible, and they don't carry anything bigger than a DD. In fact, they always try to talk me into buying something with a bigger band and smaller cup, saying "it fits the same" when it really doesn't! Thanks for the advice though!
Old 07-29-2005, 05:29 PM   #4  

You might want to try upscale department stores -- they may not carry a wide selection in your size, but call around and see which stores might have experienced fitters on staff. Then at least you'll be armed with good info about your size, even if they don't carry what you need.

You might also look for specialty lingerie stores in your area. These are usually independent shops -- not chains. The one here in my town doesn't sell trendy stuff like VS, but nice things. A lot of their clientele is 80-year-old-ladies who never gave up wearing girdles, but they get a lot of younger women who are simply harder to fit.

Once you know what size you need, you could also go to this web site: www.ladygrace.com. They carry things in the size range you mentioned.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

yeah, definitely go to a store and get measured. I know JC Penny and Marshall Fields do it, and I've been measured at Victoria's Secret. At that time (probably close to 5 years ago) I thought I was supposed to be wearing a 40 D, and it turned out I should have been wearing a 36 D. It was amazing how much better my bras fit.

Those stores may not have your size, but at least you can be measured to know your correct size.

~Liz
Old 07-29-2005, 06:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 306/294/170

When I was a 38 G. Yes. G. I was lucky enough to have a small boutique in my small town that sold them there at the store. That was 10 or so years ago but I would say skip the dept. stores and go for small boutiques (call first). Also, I think you may find some information on beautypluspower.com.
K
Old 07-29-2005, 07:43 PM   #7  
Trying to ditch the yo-yo

Height: 5'6"

I used to be a 36DDD (now a 36DD) and I always had to go to independant boutiques to find bras that fit, department stores and lingerie chains just never carried my size. Some stores I went to would even order bras in my size for me to try on, and they didn't pressure me to buy them if they didn't give me the shape I wanted (I'm really picky about what my bb's look like when they're covered with clothes). The bras are likely to be pricey, but having a good fitting bra is well worth it I think!
Old 07-30-2005, 07:25 AM   #8  
slow and steady

Thanks for the advice everyone! I looked in the yellow pages and called up a boutique in a neighboring city (nothing in Rhode Island is ever far away!), and they told me they carry up to H in bands from 30 to 56, so it sounds promising! I'm planning to go this afternoon, I'll let you all know if I find anything good. Thanks again!
Old 07-31-2005, 01:17 PM   #9  
slow and steady

Just an update -- I found a great bra at the shop I went to, and a new sports bra (called the "shock absorber"!). I ended up getting a British size 32FF for the regular bra and 34F for the sports bra. I have no idea what those correspond to in American sizes, but the American ones they had me try on were 34DD and 32DDD, about what I expected. I really like the British bras, they fit differenly (and better). They are tighter and lower across the back, and the middle part between your breasts fits tight against your sternum. SO much more comfortable than the American ones!

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Old 07-31-2005, 02:47 PM   #10  

About fitting at your sternum: That's so important, and I discovered that only a few years ago. For me, it's not so much about the size but the STYLE of bra. One thing I've learned lately is that The Girls look GOOD in certain styles, and I find them comfortable, and NOT in others. I've learned to be really picky about the style of bra I'll even try on. I think that's something a lot of women overlook, and are unhappy about their bras not because of the size (or not only because of the size) but the style they are wearing just isn't suitable for their particular shape. After all, breasts come in a WIDE variety of shapes, positions, etc. and not every bra type is good for all women.
Closed Thread