Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-27-2005, 01:37 AM   #1  
Melanie

Thumbs up All Natural Sugar Substitute

I am a health nut and have been for years. Quite honestly I would take sugar over aspartame or splenda anyday because they have both been chemically engineered and over time can cause quite possibly cause health problems. Anyways, for those of you who don't know, there is a natural leaf called Stevia that first was discovered in Paraguay. The Guarani Indians used the leaf for centuries to sweeten their teas and as a health aid in digestion and other medicinal purposes. In the 1800's an Italian botanist discovered this little miracle plant and spread the word. By the 1960's, Japan banned artificial sweeteners and replaced them with Stevia (also in all diet beverages). Stevia has 0 calories/0 carbs and has a ton of beneficial fiber. It is 100 X sweeter than sugar and can become bitter if you use too much. It's a bit difficult to bake with, but it's possible to use half the amount of sugar and replace the other half with stevia in certain recipes.

You can get Stevia at your local health food store in either powder or liquid form. Because I use it mostly in drinks, I use the liquid stevia as it's easier to mix. It is awesome for lemonade - I use about 9 drops of stevia and one whole lemon's juice and about 12 oz of water and it tastes just like lemonade without the calories or carbs! You can also use unsweetened cranberry juice and mix with water and stevia - it's awesome.

I have had stomach issues off an on my whole life, but after using this daily, I can tell a huge difference. When I don't use it for a few days, I get stomach issues again, so I know it is doing something good!

Just thought I'd share
Melanie

P.S. I use this in hot tea, hot chocolate & plain yogurt as well.

Last edited by Meldiggety; 07-27-2005 at 01:46 AM.
Meldiggety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:41 AM   #2  
Delicious Microwaved!

I use sweetners myself and it bothers me quite a bit that they're not natural. I had never heard of Stevia before your post; I'll have to check it out... if I can find a healthstore near me

If anyone else is curious I found this Wikipedia link on Stevia while looking up some more information on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia

Thanks for the info Mel!
Luciole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:05 AM   #3  

I've tried Stevia and didn't care for it -- didn't taste any better than saccharin to me. I use non-nutritive sweeteners and it doesn't bother me to do so.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:34 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I have tried Stevia as well (you can get it at GNC, or in the health food section of your store, or in health food and vitamin shops) and I liked it.
I don't have any trouble myself with products like aspartame or Splenda, but I do try to limit my consumption of them.
There are a lot of people on the forum here that are familiar with Stevia.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote