Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-22-2005, 04:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 246/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

Default Am I losing too fast?

Ok, I know this sounds ridiculous. Trust me, I am NOT complaining that I'm losing quickly! I just think it's odd that it's coming off so fast, and I've NEVER lost weight this easily, so I wanted to make sure it is healthy.

I just started my new way of eating and exercising, and I have lost 10 pounds in the past week!!! I had already lost 10 pounds in the past few months just by cutting out sodas, but I just no got serious about this last week. I am shocked, because I've never lost weight this quickly, so I wanted to make sure it's ok...lol.

I have been having between 1400 and 1600 calories per day, and from 25 to 50 grams of fat. There have been one or two days where I have had fewer calories, because I just wasn't hungry. CRAZY!!! It's like last week, I had a "moment" where it hit me that I didn't want to live like this anymore, and ever since then, my whole way of thinking and living has changed. I don't want unhealthy foods, and I haven't been binging like I used to. I just feel disgusted and don't want to do it anymore.

Sooo...is it healthy to lose weight this quickly? I know that, usually, water weight comes off fast in the beginning, but what about after the first couple of weeks? Can you only lose 1 or 2 pounds a week, or is is ok to lose more? Also, if you're not hungry, do you have to force yourself to eat? Is it ok to only have like 800 calories or 1,000 calories on some days as long as it is not an everyday thing?

Sorry for the long post!!! I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right, because THIS TIME I AM GOING TO LOSE IT AND KEEP IT OFF!!! Thank you soooo much, guys! I can't wait to get to know the people here...I've been browsing for weeks, and I love it!!!
TatianaHdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 05:13 AM   #2  
NICKI

Well I think for your weight, 1400-1600 cals is too low (ESPECIALLY if you are exercising). I can lose 1-2 pounds a week eating 2000 cals. Everyone is different, of course.

10 pounds is a lot, and like you said, it's water weight. You really don't want to lose too fast. The slower you lose it, the longer you keep it off. Although I wish I could lose 10 pounds every week.

Anyways, trying eating a bit more, and you will be fine. You sound really motivated, and I wish I had that right now!

Good luck and great job!
Sunfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:09 AM   #3  
mmmm.. ice cream

S/C/G: 238/135/125

Height: 5'4"

you are doing great! 10 lbs/wk is too much, you are right, but in the first week it's ok as long as you slow down to 2 lbs/wk, which should happen naturally. once your body adjusts to your diet, you will lose weight more sustainably. i was kind of disappointed (even though i understood the practicality) when after the first three days, i was not losing 2 lbs a day anymore
if you are concerned about getting the right amount of calories for your individual needs, there is this test you can get that measures your metabolism and tells you how many calories you burn at rest. that would give you an idea. but a general rule of thumb i hear is that you should never go below 1200, as this can put you in "starvation mode." i have the same problem (if you can call it that) though, that once i started dieting, i did not want unhealthy foods and am i not hungry even if i have 800 calories in a day. but i try to aim for 1200 regardless of being hungry or not. if you really are not hungry, you could have a slim-fast/ensure or something. good luck with everything!
cadwell125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:21 AM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Going below 1200 calories for one day at a time will not put you in starvation mode. However, doing so too frequently would certainly be counter-productive. As for how many calories you should take in, everyone is different. I was losing weight slowly when taking in about 1500 calories a day, but when I raised my daily calories to about 2000, I started losing weight faster. It doesn't make a lot of sense logically, but your body knows what it needs and kinda freaks out when it doesn't get it, ya know? Stick with the 1400-1600 a day if you are comfortable. If, after a few weeks, you don't like the results, try raising it a little (by maybe 100-200 calories a day--don't go overboard and start eating 3000 ). You just have to keep playing with numbers to find what works best for your body.

As you said, much of that initial 10-pound loss this week is most likely water weight. You may even have a large (not AS large, but still large) loss for your second week as your body continues to adjust to your new menu. If you see these huge losses continuing beyond that, it may be time re-evaluate your plan. Also, sometimes, things just happen. I have been dieting for months, yet 3 weeks ago, I had a loss of 8 pounds out of nowhere. Our bodies are comlex machines and sometimes just do what they want without consulting us I only lost 2.5 last week and .25 this week, so I'm not worried about it being unhealthy, but I haven't made any drastic changes, so who knows where that came from
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:36 AM   #5  

You are eating within a healthy calorie range and are satisfied so I wouldn't worry too much about the initial weight loss being too fast - it WILL slow down. But, if it doesn't do as Jillybean suggests and start tweaking your plan until you are comfortable with your results.

Our bodies are complicated machines and they do things we don't understand sometimes. I've been losing weight since January and this far into the ballgame I'll have weeks where I don't lose an ounce, weeks I gain for no apparent reason (not TOM, no sodium increase, etc.), and every once in a blue moon I'll have a week when I lose 4-5 pounds. Obviously, we want to lower our weights or we wouldn't be doing this but if you are eating healthily, exercising regularly, and keeping your calories in check, the weight will take care of itself.

As long as you are doing what you know needs to be done (and this will change along the way so be prepared to make adjustments as you go) don't be too swayed by the numbers on the scale. You have to learn to keep your eye on the ball and let your body do its thing!

Good luck and congratulations on an outstanding start!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 312/174/150

No...it will taper off soon. Enjoy the big drop and keep up the good work.
Burgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 12:11 PM   #7  
Haley

I had this happen too, but it wasn't 10 pounds, I think it was 6, then for a few weeks after that it was 1-2 lbs a week, this week so far I've lost about 5 pounds. I think 1400-1600 calories is fine for your weight, I started out at 223 and my doctor told me it's fine if I stick between 1000-1200 calories, so 1400-1600 is definitely not too low. As long as you're eating healthy and not starving yourself, I don't think it's too fast. But it will slow down, so don't get discouraged if the next few weeks you only lose a pound or so.

I also had that "click" moment. It's an amazing feeling. I finally feel like I'm stronger than food and can say no thanks to something I don't want. I used to just give in and say sure, I was powerless to food, but no more.

Congrats and keep it up!
haleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 01:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I lost a lot of weight quickly in the beginning - which was great (although it wasn't quite as fast as yours )! It was really motivating and what I really needed to stick with it. After a few weeks, the weight loss eventually slowed down to 1 lb a week (some weeks, no weight loss at all).

Quote:
Is it ok to only have like 800 calories or 1,000 calories on some days as long as it is not an everyday thing?
This is just my opinion - but you should probably eat more so you don't worry your body there isn't enough food around and make sure you are getting enough variety of good, healthy foods. I was very successful at 1400-1600 calories. When I hit a plateau, I started eating around 1800 calories and lost 2 more lbs! The body LIKES food

Last edited by Glory87; 07-22-2005 at 01:27 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 01:32 PM   #9  

Wow, thanks sooooooooo much guys! I didn't exoect so many reponses! And I was afraid some of them would be mean...like everyone telling me to shut-up and quit complaning that I'm losing weight quickly...lol. Thank you for understanding!!!

You guys are all such an inspiration to me!!! Thank you so much for the advice! I feel mucb better now. Now I can be excited about the weight loss instead of concerned. Woo-hooo!!!
Old 07-23-2005, 01:27 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 265/262.2/190

Height: 5'10"

I lost like that at first too. In my first 2 months I lost 26 pounds. I've only lost 8 so far this month though. That's still pretty fast for weight loss, although it doesn't feel like it! You will definitely slow down a bit as your body adjusts. My personal experience is that I started at 248 and have stayed between 1400 and 1600 most days also, and it seems to work fine for me so far.
gray eyed girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 02:22 AM   #11  

Well, you're doing GREAT, gray eyed girl, so I will follow your lead then. So, you eat 1400 to 1600 calories a day...how many fat grams do you try to stick to? I have hear anywhere from 10 to 60!!!

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2005, 09:30 AM   #12  

I know your question regarding fat grams was directed to Gray Eyed Girl, but I thought I would throw in my two cents until she gets here.

Generally speaking, 50 grams of fat is suggested per day (only 15 grams from saturated fats). But, more important than HOW MANY fat grams you consume is WHAT KIND of fat grams you consume. There is a big difference nutritionally between the fat found in almonds and that in potato chips, for example.

Also, remember, that weight loss boils down to one thing - calories in vs. calories burned. A gram of fat contains more calories than a gram of carbs or protein. So, the logic is that you can eat more food for fewer calories if you reduce your fat intake. That can be true but, IMO, it is better to look at the whole picture. We need fat (poly and mono are the "good" ones) so that our bodies can absorb various nutrients, it also helps increase the "good" cholesterol (saturated fat raises "bad" cholesterol).

So, while I don't think there is anything wrong with keeping an eye on your fat intake you will probably be better served if you reduce the amount of saturated fat in your diet and increase your intake of poly and mono.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 11:48 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

While I was losing weight, I didn't pay attention to fat grams at all. I was concentrating on only eating whole foods (as little processed or packaged as possible) so fat just wasn't a concern. Now that I'm maintaining, I pay attention only to make sure I am eating enough healthy fats (avocado, dairy, fish, olive oil (and other plant based oils), nuts, nut butters, etc.).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 02:47 AM   #14  

Default wow

I was always told the first weight you loose is water weight. I think as time progresses your body will adjust.
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 02:52 AM   #15  

Thanks for the advice guys! I feel better knowing that I'm doing ok, and having an idea about the fat grams. I'm glad to know that it's ok to eat nuts and olive oil! I think I've been avoiding the "good" fats too much this week, so I need to start adding some back in next week. I'm glad to know 50 grams isn't too much...because I have a VERY easy time sticking to that, but I KNOW I couldn't stick to 10 or 20...lol. That's just INSANE!!!

THANKS AGAIN!!!