Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-17-2005, 12:52 AM   #1  

Default anxiety before surgery

I am new here and maybe posting totally wrong. I have read some of the weight loss posts, and find them useful as I get ready for surgery. I am really anxious about the surgery. Any more words of wisdom to calm myself? I am 223 pounds at 5'3" and in horrible shape. My knees have given out of me totally twice and I have massive lymphedema in legs. Have people had bad side effects? thanks for thoughts, Deevs
Deevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 01:37 AM   #2  

Smile

HI Deevs-and welcome! You'll find a great bunch of ladies here! They have helped me a ton! No question is stupid and you can throw ANYTHING out there and get your answers and support from these people. Do you have kids? How long have you been considering surgery? Well your doctor must have told you that your knees will get better-obviously from not carrying around the extra weight. My surgery isn't till the 9th of Sept, so as of yet I can't tell you the side effects but I have been looking at this thing for 3 years so if you've got questions-ask away! If you have found your way here, then you are on the right track. Write us back-let us know more about you!
tfarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 03:47 AM   #3  

Thanks for responding, Tfarah. I have a soon to be 16 year old daughter. Have been considering surgery for over a year-my sister had it with great success. I am currently awaiting insurance authorization as I just got everything in last week. Glad you have your surgery date. Are you scared? I doubled my body size in my pregnancy, had bad toxemia, and have never managed to lose. 10 pounds and then would give up on diets. Although I don't eat terribly poorly, I don't like to be hungry, and just eat too much to lose weight. I am hoping the surgery will help, as I understand you arent always battling the hunger thing. Anyhow, I'd love some tips on getting over the worry. I keep telling myself I am more likely to get hurt on the freeway, than to have complications, but I have never been good about being real proactive. I tend to be more passive. My recent knee scare (due ironically to too much exercise) was another big wakeup and positive indicator for the surgery. Look forward to hearing more about you and others in this "great bunch of ladies". Deevs
Old 07-18-2005, 09:30 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

deevs - will give you more info later [am at work - busy day], but for right now, being worried is NORMAL..

glad to have you here!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 02:30 PM   #5  

Hi again! I am totally scared! I think I'll probly be throwing up in the hospital that morning! I think you'de have to be nuts not to be scared. But I tell you what-I'm more scared of a heart attack and not seeing my children grow up. Now that alone will make me cry every time I think about it. So, surgery, I can LIVE with that. I am also passive, and tend to put things off. Hense this surgery, I've been looking at it for 3 years! Most don't, they are usually trying to get insurance approval for that long but I've had it and still put it off. I think-"Is this surgery worth dying for?" And my answer is no. But on the other hand "Is this weight gonna kill me?" And yes, it will. So, I'm finnally begining to act on this-it toke me a while to make the decision, I had my family going back and forth between I'm getting it and I'm not getting it. What finally decided it for me was the last diet. I did the post surgery diet that you have to follow after you do this surgery. You know, the liquid/broth diet for 4 weeks then pureed food. Well I did it perfectly. For most people its called STARVATION. But, I figured I had to try everything, so I did. I lost 52 pounds in 2 months! Isn't that great! It toke me 2 months to gain it back. All I did was go to salads and chicken and the weight just flew back on. As long as I starved I was great. Then I decided to go ahead and go with that 1200 calorie diet that is suppose to keep you on the right track. HUH! 2 months-I'm back to me. Of course this last month I have discovered again all the joys of chocolate-and they started making those dang choclate covered nutter butters! So that was it-I am sick of being fat, I am sick of not being able to go to the amusement parks with my kids 'cause my fat butt can't fit in the rides, I am sick of not running on the beach and living on a island where I can everyday, I am sick of not running in the park, I am sick of not fitting in the dang tight bathroom stahls, and I am sick of being uncomfortable at the movie theater in those chairs! I am ready to live! And if I have to brush up against death-then he can kiss my butt as I leave him behind!! I wish you all the luck with everything you decide to do from now on, and I hope I helped.
tfarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:01 PM   #6  
sfmarbury

Hey ladies - being scared is totally understandable. I had my surgery 9 years ago and was crying in pre-op because of the adrenaline rush. You're right - the weight will make you die sooner. I had the surgery because docs kept saying I'd have my first major heart attack at 30 (I'm now 34). I was sure I'd be found dead one morning - not the way to go.

I won't lie - the surgery was difficult, but my life has been so much easier since. I stabalized without diet or exercise (I'm a bad patient!) at 175 (surgery weigh-in was 317lbs) and looked and felt great. I didn't diet to lose any further because I was afraid to ride my diet roller-coaster again. I'm now at 188 with a little dieting because after having my daughter I think I've grown sloppy with my eating habits and my hormone adjustment didn't help. But really, weight hasn't been much of a struggle.

Good luck!
sfmarbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:51 PM   #7  

Thanks for the inspiration, ladies. I am impressed with the spirit and courage exhibited. I work with children, and sometimes give them a little plastic courage medal if things are tough. Guess I need to get one for myself, and follow my own suggestions to breathe and trust. I don't have insurance authorization so this might all be a moot point. I hope not. I will be very disappointed if I am not authorized. I have no other hopes, but I guess I need to work on that as well. Thanks again. I will reread your thoughts, and anymore advice. Deevs
Old 07-23-2005, 03:28 PM   #8  

I just found this sight today. Looks like a great one. My surgery is in 6 days, and I'm beginning to wonder if something is wrong with me. I have no fear. I'm so ready to go. I'm ready to be on the losing side. I'm so ready to feel better and look healthier. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.
Norma J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 03:21 PM   #9  

When is your surgery? I was in your shoes this time last year. I wasn't extremely scared; I was so ready to get it done. I think everyone has some amount of anxiety. It's natural, when you are facing surgery to feel this way. The next couple of months will be difficult, but just keep in the back of your mind that this time next year, you are going to feel awesome!
My4Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:49 PM   #10  

Hello My4 and others, My surgery is August 10th. I can't believe how quickly this came up. I am having two issues. One-I'd really like to lose this weight myself (even tho I havent done this in 16 years of being 220 pounds!) and two-I'd rather have the band surgery. That would be less scarey for me, and I know I could succeed with that, but my insurance does not cover. Anyhow, I guess we dont get everything we want in life. And I am extremely grateful my insurance will cover the bypass. I have felt so terrible recently. Thanks for all your encouragement. Deevs