Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-15-2005, 12:44 AM   #1  

Default Fitness Routine

Hey everyone. Im new to the board and wanted to just post my work out routine. Since the end of June, I have worked out on the elliptical an hour and then weight training. I do this Monday-Friday, and plan on doing it until school starts back up August 31st. I just want to tone up and loose about 10 pounds or so. I also have limited my diet to only whole grain carbs, and a fair amount of protein. I try to stick to around 1400 calories a day.
Sarah_935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:10 AM   #2  

Thumbs up

Wow that sounds like a pretty intense plan. One thing I might suggest is to do weight training every other day. I have heard that doign weight training everyday is not a positive thing since your muscles will need the rest in order to get stronger. But I think the elliptical plan is great.. I love the elliptical machine too.. wish I could afford the gym quality ones to have at home!

Well, since you shared your plan I will share my plan too , I just got billy's bootcamp and i plan to do the cardio bootcamp (30 mins) 2x, the basic bootcamp (40-45 mins.. that I can do hehe) 2x, and pilates 1x each week and also watch what I eat. I'm not a good calorie counter so I just try to eat foods that are not fried, not greasy, more veggies (i am a veggie freak), alot of fruit, light yogurt, whole grains, grilled chicken, etc.. basically just try to stick to healthy foods..

Anyways, you sound like you are on the right track and I wish you the best of luck... hope you accomplish your goal! I think you will if you stick to it.
DaisyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 12:45 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

There's no problem weight training every day, just not every muscle group every day. You need 48 hours for your muscles to recover. What you are actually doing is making tiny tears in your muscle fiber, and they repair themselves while "resting" for the 48 hours. It's the repair that builds muscle. You could easily do upper body weights say M-W-F and lower T-TH, which would leave the 48 hours between. Then the next week switch and do lower three times and upper twice.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:37 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

OR you can do 4 days splits... and this gives your body plenty of time to recoup...
Day 1 -- legs, abs... no cardio
Day 2 -- chest and triceps, cardio
Day 3 -- back and biceps, cardio
Day 4 -- shoulders, cardio
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:24 PM   #5  

Ilene --

Then, do you take a day or two off, or go right back into day 1 after you finish day 4?

Thanks!
Luanne
mscelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:28 PM   #6  
Mel

Not sure what Ilene does, but most people take one rest day. I do a five day weight split, cardio six days (not very intense on leg day!) and one total rest day.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:38 PM   #7  

So, Mel, what would your 5-day split look like?

Thanks!
Luanne
Old 07-22-2005, 03:09 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Luanne -- I take a day of rest or two days of rest depends how I feel, or whatever else gets in the way of getting to the gym or running... Life gets in the way sometimes, ya know? Sometimes I will take a day off in the middle of the 4 day split... I play it by ear and by how I feel...
This week I did:
Sunday -- ran 6K
Monday -- legs
Tuesday -- abs and core stuff, ran 5k
Wednesday -- chest & triceps, no time for cardio
Thursday -- 6 hours of pulling weeds, I think that counts for something...
Friday -- back and biceps, again no time for cardio
Saturday -- I'm not sure yet, I may do my long run on Saturday this week or go to the gym, it depends on the weather... Too hot it's gym weather, just nice, no humidity it's running weather ....

I love your avatar, my two favorite things, cats and barbells
Old 07-22-2005, 03:46 PM   #9  

Thanks, Ilene -- I like the idea of a 4-day split. I am currently doing a 2-day split, and will continue for another couple of weeks until I feel like I'm back in the "groove", then go to a 4-day so I can concentrate my workout more.

My avatar -- just found it today -- I like it because it represents two things I like about being a woman -- softness and strength!

Luanne
Old 07-22-2005, 04:40 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Well I guess that's why I like cats and weights, like you I like the softness of cats and the strength of weights...