Old 07-12-2005, 09:26 PM   #1  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Default 2 wks intro - other diet plan - 2 wks intro - will it work?

Hi,

I'm thinking of maybe trying a low-carb diet, and I've done some background reading on Atkins. Since I dislike fat and meat and am not too fond of eggs, I'm kind of put off... But from what I've read, the "introductory" stage is about 2 weeks (i.e. 14 day committment), which I think I could do. So I'm wondering whether I could perhaps do 2 weeks Atkins intro, then some other diet plan (for example the one I'm on now - monitoring calorie intake & no fat), and then maybe do 2 weeks of Atkins again?

Would that be workable? I'm not too concerned about weight loss stopping or slowing down when I go off Atkins as long as I do lose pounds during the 2 weeks on Atkins.

I might add - sugar cravings are no problem for me, I don't have any. Not sure if that would be the case on Atkins (I do love my fruit - and my sushi!!!), but maybe not.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Sushi Penguin; 07-12-2005 at 09:38 PM.
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:10 PM   #2  

I am not to sure how this would work for you. I have been on induction for about 3 weeks now, and it is extremly hard to keep up with. If you don't like meat and eggs, it is going to be extremly difficult to keep up with. For me, the more protein and less carbs I eat the more weight I loose. I try to eat at least 50 grams of protein, and 20 or less of carbs. I am not a big fish fan, so I don't eat a lot of that. You said you like sushi, do you eat other fish, seafood?? You could possibly do it that way. My best advice would be to get the new atkins book, and read it to see if it would be doable for you. Eggs and meat are a big staple on the atkins diet!! I am also not a big fan of fatty stuff, so I eat lean meats, and shrimp, both of which are low or 0 carbs. I don't cook in oils, I use cooking spray, and we grill outside alot. Hope this helps!!

Amanda
mommyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:50 PM   #3  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Thank you very much for your response , I was getting worried nobody would say anything (with thoughts like "they probably all think this is an insane idea, that either you do it and stick with it all the way or not do it at all).

Well, given that I did last 3 weeks on the "Danish Diet", which involves cooked spinach ... I think I could take 2 weeks for the mighty cause of fitting into my summer clothes
I like seafood a lot, especially shrimp and recently started liking smoked salmon. Eggs are not too bad, I do like omelet (but with veggies ) and have no problem trying some egg recipes. Chicken is fine, it's just beef and pork that are

I'd love more feedback.

I've decided to stick to calorie counting for another two weeks, until my doctor's appointment - we're to review my nutrition and weight loss strategies, so I want her to look at stuff I normally eat. She'll probably tell me I need more protein. I'll ask what she thinks of me trying Atkins a bit.
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 08:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

I have another idea for you. Atkins is not the only low carb diet. There are other plans that might suit your needs a little better. Since you mentioned that you like fruit, and you are put off by all the meat and fat on Atkins, you might want to look into the Fat Flush Plan. It is both a low calorie and low carb plan and even during the first 2 weeks you get to have 2 servings of fruit a day. It has some unusual items on it, like a cranberry juice drink made from unsweetened cranberry juice and water (you can use artificial sweetener in it) that you drink several times a day. It appears to allow for some pretty rapid weight loss at least during its first 2 week "detoxifying" phase. I don't do this plan but I have read all the low carb books that are based on good science.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 02:01 AM   #5  

THe eating meat part I thought would be pretty easy for me because we live on a farm, and have a freezer full of home raised meat. I never buy anything from the store except for chicken. I used to not be a chicken fan, but with the different recipies, I decided its ok. You would still be ok to eat just fish and chicken. A typical day for me is eggs and bacon or sausage for breakfast, or just an omelet, lunch I eat a salad with eggs, bacon bits or chicken, spinich, and cheese, and then for dinner I eat meat (pork chops, chicken, or some type of beef) with asparagus and melted cheese over the top of the asparagus, and or green beans. For a snack I eat low carb ice cream, or a slice of cheese. For me I have noticed I don't need to snack more than once or twice a day, instead of my "grazing" all day long. I also have low carb yogurt, and low carb bars. The yogurt is ok, but I am not brave enough yet to eat a low carb bar. They all have a horrible soy taste, and that totally grosses me out. I also eat shrimp on occasion. 99% of all the meat I eat my husband grills outside. I love fruit, so that has been the hardest thing for me. For a treat I take low carb mint chocolate chip ice cream, and chocolate ice cream, and I blend them into a milkshake for a treat when I need one. Who knew low carb ice cream could be so good!!! Anyway, like I said before, go get the book, and see what you think!!

Amanda
mommyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote