Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 01:40 PM   #1  

Default Low Carb Alternachicks???

Hello all,
I read a thread recently where someone was asking if there was interest in a low carb group specifically for the alternachicks.....I thought it was cool & noticed that it had been "closed" to start one somewhere else. I can't find it though. Anyone know what I'm talking about? If so, where'd it go? If not, wanna start one? I know there are some low carb groups in the main forum but I liked the bios I've read so far for Alternachicks & thought I'd like to keep hanging out here.
As to ATkins, or my version of it...lol...it's the only diet I've ever really lost much on. I recently went back on the bandwagon & today has been yet another reinforcement for why I like to stick with it. I started cutting most of (not all) my carbs about two weeks ago I think. Most of my carbs have been from things like tomatoes & broccoli....grilled onions, etc. I have (as is usual with lower carb diets) felt almost zero cravings for food not on my diet since day three or four. I have a ton more energy & feel like my hypoglycemia has been much more controlled. The last couple days I have not felt a pull toward my beloved baked goods at all! Well..this morning I walked my dog too long on the beach & was running late. I did not have time for my usual bacon & eggs breakfast so I headed out & grabbed a bacon & egg croisanwich. Bad, bad move. I felt like I was starving in about an hour & thought of nothing except food until I got home at noon. I seriously thought about every single store I could stop at to get crispy kremes or mountain dew that I passed! I just devoured two entire bowls of pasta with cream sauce. It tasted good but not THAT good. I'm currently Stuffed & thinking hey, tiramisu or chocolate cake would be JUST what I'd like right NOWWWW! If I don't stick with my diet from the time I wake up, I'm lost. I find I can cheat a bit but it's best done late at night so that I go to bed before I go overboard. Probably not typical advice but it works for me.
I know that reduced carbs (good carbs vs bad carbs) diets like south beach are better for many people...and probably much healthier in a nutrient sort of way. I just find that for ME, I don't have the self control for it. I have to really cut back on carbs or I just keep going back & binging on them.
Anyone else feel this way? anyone feel like talking carbs?

Dawn
Old 07-12-2005, 03:54 PM   #2  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I'm doing a combo of South Beach Diet and Weight Watchers. I find I gain quickly if I am constantly eating rice/pasta/bread and potatoes.

I also find if I eat carbs at lunch time I get headaches and can't focus very well on whatever task I am doing. It's better if I eat carbs in the morning.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:02 PM   #3  

It's funny that you mention the headaches....I had more carbs at lunch (followed by lime pie & a chocolate eclair afterwords) than I've had in ages. Now I have a Splitting headache! ugh. Maybe drinking more water will flush it out. can't hurt to hope. I can certainly say I have not gotten as much done this afternoon as I normally do! I definitely cannot do carbs in the morning though....it just sets me up for craving them all day.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:14 PM   #4  

wooohoo! I lost another five pds sometime or other. Weighed in at the docs today! Yippeee! After everything I ate yesterday that's a miracle!
Old 07-16-2005, 06:57 PM   #5  

Congratulations Dawn!
Old 07-17-2005, 05:55 PM   #6  

Good 4 U!!! that's great Dawn!
Old 07-17-2005, 06:13 PM   #7  

Height: 5'-2"

Dawn, congratulations!
I'm doing South Beach, but I'll talk carbs with you.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:40 AM   #8  

I managed to have a mostly carb free weekend except for a hamburger bun. Other than that I stayed op
Old 07-19-2005, 09:20 AM   #9  

Wow...I did not know that you were cutting that many carbs Mauvais (what AM I supposed to call you by the way? I don't think I've caught your name & your screen name is long...lol) You did a lot better than me, I cheated left right & center over the weekend. I even had chocolate & a pastry! I don't worry too much about weekends so long as I stick with my diet during the week though. And when I went to the doctors on Monday I was down to 128 so I lost a few more pounds. I've been slacking on my exercize though so maybe I just lost some muscle...my clothes are not really fitting THAT much looser yet. Anyone got good dinner plans? I'm trying to figure out what to do for supper. My roommate is being drawn into Atkins against his will....hee hee. I'm thinking either crockpot mock chuck steak with a cream of mushroom base or else something to do with chicken. I don't use mine all that much now but when I am working or in school it's about the only item in the kitchen that gets used. Any other crockpot fiends on here? Technical question about the site: anyone have problems with the code for their little weight tracker thingy? When I cut & paste mine to a document to save so that I can grab it later...it never saves it. I go & open the doc & nothing is there. Anyone else have that prob? Is there someway to save it on the site?
Old 07-20-2005, 10:50 AM   #10  

Mauvais or Mauv is just fine

Yep! I have cut all those carbs out for the next 2 weeks and I'm cutting out sugar The I will re-introduce the whole wheat varieties pasta, bread and cereal but in small quantities - i.e . once per week as per the SBD book. Still counting my points and going to my WW meetings though - and my weigh in last night was great! Lost 2 lbs!

I have to admit that weekends are my toughest challenge but I made a huge effort last weekend not to eat out (except for the burger place on Saturday) and to keep regular meal times.

Hmmm... I don't have a tracker so I'm not sure what happened with yours. I will check into that to see how that works.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:24 AM   #11  

Mauv, how MARVY! Down 2 pounds ...excellent ! ... It's interesting how some of us combine and blend different weight loss formats.. I do SB, no refined carbs or sugars... and count my calories... and use some of the WW receipes...
Hey ! Whatever works ! DH is on Atkins... he does real well with it..now then, I tried it about a year ago.. DH Lost 7lbs the first week... and I FOUND them all..I gained 7 lbs ! Figured that it's not something that works for me.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:12 PM   #12  

Thanks Schatzi!

Dawn did you check this out http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56332
it might help you.

Okay, so I tried it out myself this evening. If you make the tracker then copy and paste it into your signature in the user cp section then save it you can then go back and edit your signature later to change the amount of weight loss - it worked for me!

I didn't want to keep the tracker so I just deleted it from my signature....
Old 07-21-2005, 09:23 AM   #13  

Thanks Mauv! I'm off to the grocery store in a few minutes so I will fuss around with doing it later. Congrats on the 2 pounds! Do you like the whole wheat pasta by the way? I have tried the soy based pasta that atkins espouses, hated the texture, would rather not have pasta. I have tried Spelt pasta, which this fitness chic named Teresa Tapp suggests for people with O Positive (me) blood have. I'm not sure what her rationale is but she claims O's digest spelt better than wheat. Anyways, I've not gotten around to checking the glycemic rating on it but it tastes really good. Thanks for the congrats Shatz!
Old 07-21-2005, 10:18 AM   #14  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

S/C/G: 260/176/175

Height: 5' 10"

Hi everyone - just putting in my 2 cents. I follow the zone - mostly. What I really like about it is that I dont give up a food group - I simply tweek it in favor of better choices or more bulk/less calories. I only buy multi grain bread - the kind with all the seeds in it - and I only eat it with specific recipes - granted the zone requires some planning and sometimes I just eat a apple rather than making a whole recipe - but the main recipes I make are all around 350-450 calories (I have snacks that are less but then I have to eat twice) and I dont get headaches and I dont get hungry or wierd cravings - I do eat at 4-5 hr interval 4 times a day and that helps. WATER WATER WATER.

But you are all correct that what works for some wont work for others - I tried atkins and there was just not enough fiber if you get my drift -so I felt ucky. So I dont just choose good carbs, I combine with fat and prot to slow them down.

I have tried Whole Wheat macaroni - bulk - it was ok - but kind of gooey. And I used to eat the low carb whole wheat tortilla's but they tasted weired and the whole net carb thing doesnt apply to my plan.

I like the Best Foods 2g fat mayo - not horrible and a decent substitute.

And I use no cal butter spray on toast, pasta and veggies - that is pretty good (tastes like micro popcorn butter)

I eat brocoli, cauliflower, lettuce, tomatos, no sugar added applesauce, apples, oranges, tuna, chicken, fish, oatmeal, cottage cheese FF, (a lots of other things) I add unflavored protein powder to smoothies and my oats to balance it out, last night I had a cheese burger using 7% fat burger, FF Kraft sliced cheese, lettuce, tomato, ketsup, 2g fat mayo, on a Whole grain bun. It was yummy, balanced and low GI.

I can take just about any ingredients and make them work - I made up a cool spreadsheet in Excel - I am a number freak.

Blah Blah Blah - have I bored you all to death yet - sorry for the ramble.

Later.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:02 PM   #15  

Hey PJ,
Oddly enough....I find that I eat a LOT more fiber now than I did when I was not on Atkins. I think its because I don't ever do Induction though. I lose plenty of weight on maintenance...plus I'm not sure I really do THAT in a strict fashion. For instance, I think your supposed to stick with a cup or so of greens (can't remember if its per day or per meal) but I eat a pretty big bowl of them. I generally have a salad with both dinner & lunch now....or I'll have veggies & dip instead. It seems like as long as I up my protein intake I can get by with eating more veggies than your supposed to. I have dropped carrots out mostly though...and fruit. I don't miss carrots THAT much & fruit tends to make my mouth break out...too much acid, so I don't miss that all that much. On weekends I like to have blueberries or strawberries with cool whip, I just can't do it too often. Oddly, I found out from my doctor that bananas are one of the most acidic fruits, pretty strange huh? I just love the fact that I can have things like pudding with heavy cream & cream cheese as a base....and heavy cream in my coffee with splenda...and still drop sizes. When I try to do diets like south beach or w/w I tend to find myself seduced by those cute little pasta servings....next thing you know I'm eating an entire bowl of macaroni & cheese all by myself again! As I mentioned someplace else, I do let myself be bad with the pasta most weekends but at least I'm going back to my diet on Monday instead of just giving up like I used to.
Closed Thread