Old 07-11-2005, 10:18 PM   #1  
Ilene the Bean

Smile Sushi ??

I'd love to try Sushi but I have NO CLUE as to what to try... or I worry that places like Cosco that have sushi isn't safe ... What are some names of certain Sushi that I should try... I love fish and I'm not a picky eater...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:06 AM   #2  

Okay, whoops.

Last edited by girl least likely to; 07-12-2005 at 02:01 AM.
girl least likely to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:31 AM   #3  

Ilene - When you're in Ottawa, you could stop at a Loblaw's or YIG to buy and try a little tray of california roll at the deli counter, the easiest variety to start with. (It will be fake crab, no raw fish involved.) It is prepared daily, usually in the store where you buy it. It may not be the most authentic, but is fresh. I have bought sushi at our costco, although they don't always have it. It's a little pricey, but perfectly safe to eat. Again, the assortments they had here had no raw fish. The pickled ginger (pink stuff) is sweet and yummy. The green paste, wasabi, is very, very, hot.

Since much of the roll is white rice, I'm not sure what SB or Atkins would think of it...

Bon appétit
Carla
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:18 AM   #4  

there are lots of types that do not have raw fish if you a new person to eating sushi

'tamago' is a sweet cooked egg omlet sliced onto sushi rice and held together by seeweed
'ume-shiso' or just 'ume' is a sort of pickled plume sushi, really interesting flavor
'Inari' i like the absolute best is a sweet tofu pocket stuffed with sushi rice

many restaurants do some very good non-traditional things with sushi
like using roast sweet califlower instead of rice to make it low-carb
or making more western style pieces
cream cheese, avacado, and smoked salmon rolls are really good

you could also experiment with some sashimi....just the raw fish to see what kind of raw fish you might like in sushi
yume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:50 AM   #5  

The default is called , 'California rolls'.
Well, my friends and I call it default.. Because it's the 'easiest' to eat.

After you've adjusted to the taste of sushi, you should experience all the other types suggested !
titty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:12 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Now how did I miss all these replies ??!! Thanks for the input girls...

Carla -- I did see and try it at Cosco and really liked it... It's really not the raw fish that scares me to eat, it's the fact that if it's real fish I could get salmonila poisoning if it's not fresh... I didn't realise that they made some sushi with fake crab, so that's good to know....
Old 07-20-2005, 12:58 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

Um, Ilene, fake crab is "real" fish. It's made from pollock (caught off the coast of Alaska), and processed to resemble crab. Sorry to put that worry back in your mind.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:38 PM   #8  
Mel

But the pollock is cooked, so stop worrying In fact, stop worrying in general. The sushi in Loblaws or any other large supermarket is made fresh daily from "sushi grade" fish. Don't try making your own from regular raw fish- it needs to be a higher grade and certified parasite-free (sushi grade). It's delicious!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:27 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat
Um, Ilene, fake crab is "real" fish. It's made from pollock (caught off the coast of Alaska), and processed to resemble crab. Sorry to put that worry back in your mind.
and damn!! ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
The sushi in Loblaws or any other large supermarket is made fresh daily from "sushi grade" fish.
I'm gonna try me some sushi soon...

Thanks for the input...
Old 07-20-2005, 06:59 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

Okay, a new one to me. I hadn't realized that it was cooked, but duh, I should have. So go for it Ilene! I have had some sushi that I liked okay, mostly the non-fish stuff.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:33 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

Mel, now that I think about it, I thought sushi was RAW fish, so what's the big deal about the raw fish?
Old 07-21-2005, 12:30 AM   #12  

Most sushi does have raw fish, I think. But a lot of westerners (like me) are too wussy, so things like California roll came into being. I wouldn't eat the raw types except in a Japanese restaurant where it's likely to be fresh. (Actually I wouldn't eat the raw stuff at all...) There's also sashimi (?) which has pieces of fish on top of little lumps of rice, both raw and cooked. I've eaten it with smoked salmon or eel, and shrimp. More expensive sushi uses real crab instead of the pollock. And there is even vegetarian sushi.

Bon appétit. Eet smaakelijk. Guten Appetit. Kali orexi. Enjoy!
Old 07-21-2005, 02:41 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Carla -- I like the ''siggie'' under your name ... Thanks for that info... Can you recommend a good Sushi restaurant in Ottawa ??
Old 07-21-2005, 03:27 PM   #14  

Ilene, there's one on Bank St downtown called Ichiban that is supposed to be very good. I think the Suisha Gardens (Slater east of Bank) is okay too. When I get back to Ottawa I'll check the phone book and check with some raw sushi eaters for further advice.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:17 PM   #15  
Mel

Enjoy, Ilene! Raw tuna and salmon are delish

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote