Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 04:19 PM   #1  
THICK and tired of it

Default Camping recipe ideas

Hi y'all! I just got back from camping over the weekend and I was NERVOUS about going over points with the marshmallows! But I brought my food companion with and figured out that marshmallows are 2 for 1 point- yay!- and that I could have a smore made with lowfat graham crackers, one marshmallow, and 3 of the little hershey squares (1/4 bar instead of 1/2) for 4 points! Woohoo!

I also brought along fat free hotdogs and wheat buns, but now I am looking for some ideas for low point meal ideas for my next camping trip. Any ideas?
Old 07-24-2005, 07:09 PM   #2  

If you had Smore's it sounds like you had a camp fire. What about the Pie Irons that you cook food in and roast over the fire. Go to www.pieiron.com and you will see what I'm referring to and there are recipes there. I'm sure you can adapt to low cal.

Make up some dishes at home, freeze and then take them in your cooler if you have use of a stove. Sloppy joes can be made with Morningstar Crumbies is you don't want to use Gr. Beef. Taco salad, taco's, tuna sandwiches, speghetti, salad. You just plan ahead and don't forget the fruit.

When we camp, I have my own kitchen in the RV so it's not difficult I just have to make easy things as there isn't a lot of space.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:41 PM   #3  

Here's a recipe called Hobo Chicken for cooking Chicken and vegetables that is cooked directly into a campfire. If this is not an overnight trip, you could make the packets up before going. If it is an overnight camping trip, you could have your veggies precut and assemble them at the campsite. Enjoy.
Hobo Chicken

Boneless chicken breasts or thighs
Canned chicken broth
Canned whole or sliced potatoes
Mushrooms (canned or fresh)
Zuchinni, sliced
Yellow Squash, sliced
Salt, pepper, garlic powder for seasoning
Any other vegetables you'd like to include
Aluminum foil (you can either used regular foil or there are now foil pouches that are available)

The amount of ingredients depends on how many you will be feeding. I usually do two pieces of chicken per person. You will need about 8 ozs. of chicken broth per person, the rest of the quantities are up to you. You can also use whatever vegetables you would like to add. That's what makes this recipe so fun, it is the same easy process but can be a different result each time.
Once you have all of your ingredients ready, make little trays out of sheets of aluminum foil. Fold the sides up so that none of the broth or ingredients leak out. Place one or two pieces of chicken in the foil, then add your vegetables and any seasoning. Last, pour chicken broth over everything. Make sure you pour in enough to keep the chicken moist while cooking.
Fold the aluminum foil up and seal. I fold all of the edges to the middle and roll the seam so that nothing will leak.
This is usually cooked directly in a campfire for about 1/2 hour. For cooking at home, you can either cook these on the grill or in the oven. If cooking on the grill, cook them over medium heat for 30-35 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked. In the oven, cook at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked. Cooking times can vary based on the size of the chicken and the amount of extras items you placed in the foil.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:59 PM   #4  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Bump!
Closed Thread