South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 10:32 PM   #1  

Question Concerns...(long rambling)

I've read many diet/nutrition books-everything from detailed programs to anti-dieting and this is what I've come away with. I don't believe that weight loss is ALL about calories in and calories out bc I feel this is too simplistic as some foods will actually TRIGGER cravings. In fact I recently read that bc of Neuropeptide Y, whatever you eat when ravenously hungry will be imprinted as a strong ongoing crave-leading to the belief that it's not as about willpower as one might think-some foods will work against you creating a physiological drive to consume that food (this all depending on your own food history). Which is why it's always best that if you really need to have this food it's eaten directly after a balanced meal. (which goes against anti-dieting's thinking of : eat what you most want when you're adequately hungry)

I DO believe that SB like most WOE drastically decreases calorie consumption-especially in phase 1 and that your body will eventually adjust to it (metabolism slows) Now it is widely accepted that it takes 3500 calories in EXCESS to what you normally consume to gain 1lb of fat-soooo here comes my concern-after only 10 days of drastic reduction, why should phase 2 be so volatile? How is it that all of a sudden, a few too many strawberries, or not enough vegetables can lead to a plateau or a sudden weight gain? These were NOT the issues that caused your/our initial weight gain. And obviously we are not talking 3500 EXCESS calories-so it shouldn't be fat gain, and if it's water weight, why?

I understand the role of insulin control in this WOE but I don't think anyone should fear gaining 3lbs overnight from eating a baked potato (also the glycemic index should not be relied on too heavily as glycemic load is much more important-for instance for a carrot to have the GI noted affect on insulin rise, you'd have to consume cups and cups of them-just an example) It is noted that eating fat with high GI food changes their affect on your blood sugar.

What attracted me to SB is that I believe this WOE will definitely help conquer cravings (and other health issues) but I'd hate to think that I'll never again be able to have a non-SB meal without having to revert to Phase I again. Could a person just cut out processed foods and sugar-but still eat fruits, limited whole grains etc... and have the same results? ANd if they did I"m sure one food would not undo them (unless that food triggers future cravings) so what happens during Phase 1 of SB to then make us SO sensitive to the carbs we reintroduce?

EEK! SOrry this is so long-I guess the bottomline is, how come Phase 2 seems so much harder to lose weight on? ANd for those now on it, how much fruit and whole grains were you able to reintroduce? And if you had sugar or pizza one night did you have to start all over again???? ( I never "plan" on reintroducing trigger foods but would like to know that if I eat something non-SB it will not undo my efforts, it would not be a 3500cal binge which is what would require actual fat gain on other WOE)

Thanks so much!
Old 07-10-2005, 11:59 PM   #2  

Hi Jess, not sure I can answer your inquiries in total.. but I did phase 1 for the prescribed 2 weeks and move to phase 2. I've introduced all kinds of carbs back into my eating. Sweet potatoes, WW bread, WW pasta, fruit (with no limits on portion)...dark chocolate.. etc: I havent had a problem .I seem to average a pound or 2 a week loss. I do however combine SB with calorie counting keeping my daily intake between 1200 and 1500 a day. Even on Phase 1 I was able to meet that caloric goal..it was hard but I did.
I've gone off plan a few times, had non-SBD meals (I dont believe in Never having something I really want so I have it..) but would go right back to phase 2.. I havent gone back to 1 at all... Some folks feel that their cravings get outta control, eat more than they should, experience a gain or cant get passed their cravings so they go back to Phase 1. And we have folks who do phase 1.5 to include their fruits, and WW bread or pasta....
As far as trigger foods, I think those foods differ for each of us.. One of my triggers is nuts.. so I stay away from them since at this point I dont trust that I can control my portions..

The body is 97% water...and it is a very efficient water pump..a few salty or sodium laden food will cause the body to retain the water to flush the sodium and salts from the cells.. I know that I am watching my calories and eating good healthy food, so I don't pay the scale much mind every day.. to me it's just measuring the amount of water in me at that particular moment.
Hope this helps some
Old 07-11-2005, 08:58 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Jess, it's a really good question.
I think one of the factors is how much you need to lose. Obviously if you have a lot to lose, the weight is going to come off faster.
I'm not on SB at the moment (just can't get it together because of depression issues), but I've thought about going on Phase III. I suspect I'd lose weight even on that, because the WOE is much better than the way I'm going right now.

When I went on Phase II, I actually continued to lose about 2 pounds a week. I'd initially added back in oatmeal and some berries. Again, I have/had much more to lose than you...
Old 07-11-2005, 02:07 PM   #4  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I've been wondering the same things and I am glad you were able to get our the concerns more efficient and eloquently.

I did phase 1 once. Lost 13 pounds. Then stopped eating the SB way (Phase 1 or 2) for a year. I started SB again beginning of June/end of May. Lost 6 pounds (11 in total). At the end of May, I'd eat breakfast and lunch SB phase 1 then whatever I wanted for dinner (It was just easier is all) and lost 6.

I started phase 2 after the 2 weeks of Phase 1 and haven't shown a loss yet. This weekend I ate pizza (only 1/2 a slice), 2 bagels and didn't drink my water.

I hate to think about going back to phase 1 yet again. I understand the GI and all that but I hate to think that some fruits for instance are bad for me and that I shouldn't eat it ever again.

I don't think I am going back to Phase 1 in totality. I haven't had cravings (plus, I won't have the money this month to pay for everything I'd need). But my plan is go back to Phase 1 by way of breakfast and lunch (and 2 snack, plus water) then eat a reasonable dinner...making good choices.

I will also have to get my @ss back to the gym, which I haven't done yet.

So I gues my point is I feel your confusion!
Old 07-11-2005, 02:22 PM   #5  
Cat Lover

I found the tough part of phase II was lack of structure. In pI you know what you can have and you feel so proud of yourself for following it perfectly. Then Phase II !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was phase II for me!!!!!!! I could have stuff! I could have my enemy: alcohol. Yes it makes me eat! Slows my metabolism and screws up my blood sugar! Oh joy !!! So I think if I ate good carbs like fruit and got exercise DAILY (I think that is essential) I would be fine on SB. I think it would be fine for anyone. I think exercise is key. Perhaps some of us choose weak exercise. I can't just walk, it is good, but not enough.

Thanks for posing such a thoughtful question.

Sandi
Old 07-11-2005, 11:05 PM   #6  

I am a really slow loser, I never lose more than a pound or occasionally 2 pounds a week, except for my first week.
I went on a calorie counting diet prior to starting south beach. For two weeks I ate between 1000 and 1200 calories...the problem? I still had part of those calories in sugar every day...I still had LOTS of cravings for everything I shouldn't eat.
Since starting south beach I have really lost those cravings! I mean I think of things or see things sometimes and think...yummm that would taste good! But then I think about how far I have already come and how good it feels to be in control of food vs food controlling me.
For me, sticking to a structured plan and following the guidelines is what helps me stay balanced and aware of what I am consuming. I went to Wendys today with my daughter...I wanted a baked potato so bad...but I thought about it..and had the chilli and salad as I had planned...I knew if I ate the potato I would feel awful after...not worth it..
As for cravings...I went to Trader Joes and bought an extra dark chocolate bar. I figured since I was on Phase 2 and I could now have chocolate 1x week or so I'd better get some...well I'm happy to say that i have been able to resist it!!! That is like a miracle for me!! I am a sugar, carb, chocoholic and practically lived that way despite type 2 diabetes!!
I hope I maintain the feelings/strength I have had so far...my health is the primary reason...and if I slowly creep down in weight and hopefully get "better looking" that is gravy!!
Old 07-12-2005, 11:30 AM   #7  

what I have found that works best for me at least..is not relying on food alone to help me lose weight...but excercising. It is so important!....I think I am basically on phase 3 and..I eat what Iwant but IN MODERATION...I used to eat a plate of pasta and thats it...IF i crave pasta i get the whole wheat kind and eat it as a side dish..and have chicken/with a veggie....Portion control is most important. If i crave chocolate I have a piece of dark chocolate..ect ect...its all about healthy choices...as Denise Austin says...(sorry to quote her but it is so true) she eats healthy 80% of the time and has her treats...20%..of the time...if you crave something..have it!! just work a little harder the next day!

ok so there is my 2 cents... hope it helps
Old 07-12-2005, 11:33 AM   #8  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

This has been an extremely helpful thread to me! Thanks y'all!
Closed Thread