Old 07-05-2005, 10:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default Over 50 And Getting Healthy #25

Welcome back, Diane! Tell us more about your trip. Did you end up driving 13 hours straight? I'm glad that it's cooled down a touch and rained for you.

Hope everyone had a good Fourth! We spent it at home relaxing because DH was "cleansing" for today's colonoscopy. Only two little polyps that the doctor thought were probably benign (he's had some pre-cancer polyps and benign is a step up!). So DH won't have to go again for another 3-5 years. With a history of colon cancer in his family, he has to go more often than normal.

Sunday was a lot of fun. We drove out to the country to watch the sheepdog trials. Have you ever seen those or watched a good working dog work the sheep? It was a lot of fun. We put on lots of sun screen because it was sunny and warm all weekend. However, we both could tell the spots where we missed. Ouch!

Hope everyone is well and enjoying good summer weather.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:20 PM   #2  

Hello Everyone,

Sheila, sounds like you had a fun 4th of July weekend. We didn't do anything outstanding. We basically worked a lot around on the farm again. One of our huge maple trees went down in the high winds that did not bring much rain. That was a real chore cleaning up that mess. Daughter next door and I went to a rummage sale at a victorian on Saturday, the house is being sold and we asked for a tour, and got one. The house is a beautiful victorian, but sets on a small lot and has only a one car detached garage. It needs a lot of work, even though a lot has been done with it. I bought a coffe table, that I am going to repaint and fix up for the family room at the garage sale. Went to the fireworks last night with SIL next door and grandkids met our son and daughter-in-law with their two children there, had a nice time. Got late for the kids though, because the firworks did not start until 9:30 pm.

Hello to the rest of the gang. Happy Wednesday.

Bluet
Bluet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:57 AM   #3  

We'll start our vacation later today. Staying tonite at sil in Indiana. 6 hr drive. tomorrow another 6-7 hrs to lake of the ozarks resort for our weekend we earned thru incressing tonnage of feed sold last year over the year before. I'll let you know how a japenese stone massage is.supposed to be hot all week.mil is at Allans brothers till we get back. talk after our trip Bonnie2.
What state are you from bluet?
bon5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:58 AM   #4  
Psalm 91:9-11

Location: I am from 29 Palms, California... but now live in Northeast, Ohio

S/C/G: SW-245.5/CW-209/GW-170

Height: 5'5"

Smile

Good Morning My Dear Friends...
I really hope that you are not upset with me being MIA lately... even my sister read me the riot act this morning for not writing her. She is use to me writing her everyday and I have had a hard time keeping up lately. Just get so tired that it's hard for me to focus my eyes. I think I do need to go for another eye exam - I have been getting "eye fatigue" allot lately. But I am feeling much better today - not as stressed and all caught up with my rest (if that's ever possible - ) Joe and I had a great 4th of July weekend together and really took time to rest and recoup. Didn't go to any parties or anything, just went to church on Sunday & Monday mornings and then came home to work in the yard and play some games... even caught a movie!! We saw *War of the Worlds* ---> Good Movie!! I remember the original and Steven S. stayed with the same story-line (I was pleased about that)... he just had more (& better) affects - awesome affects! On Saturday we went to a HUGE Flea Market and Oxen Roast w/ Mike & Peggy after our breakfast together --- what fun that was!!! I even found a nice dress for only $30.00 to wear to the wedding we are going to on July 16th (yes... another wedding). Last night we had our Photo's taken at the church for a directory, but the pics came out pretty good, so Joe & I ordered a few --- phew, the cost!!!! To get one 2-8X10's and 3-5X7's with a matte finish (+tx) came to $177.00!!! We got them as Christmas gifts for my family... it's been a long time coming. And this Friday we have another Graduation Party to go to... so many this year! Saturday is quiet (so far) and Sunday after church we have a picnic to go to... that will be fun! It's with my Joe's Choir members, great folks!

*~*~*

Hi Sheila, Sounds like you had an enjoyable 4th as well... I am so happy to read that your DH's Colonosocopy went so well! I think I may have to have one after my physical... we'll see what the Dr. says...

What do you think is wrong with your kitties??? Do you think it's stress from all the moving maybe... nothing is familiar to them right now. Cats do that... I hope that they are doing better by now. You posted the illness on 6/27

Yes... I am feeling 100% now and it feels good! Yup! I definitely have *nono* foods and it pays for me to stay clear of them... I stay well and feel well Joe & I get up EVERY morning @ 5am now (except Sundays) to walk anywhere's around 1.5 to 2.25 miles, depending on how we feel that day... so far for JULY we have 7.50 miles in and our JUNE total was 27.75. Not as high as I hoped, but we were so busy in June I was pleased to have gotten in that much. WEIGHT-->Isn't it a drag... it takes nothing to put on a bit of wt. and takes so much work to take it off!! But .5 isn't bad at all!! You are doing great!

My father and mother are holding their own... mom said she is feeling very good these days too How is your DF doing??

You mentioned that the kitty was gone when you went back to the shelter... I too hope it meant that he/she was adopted!!! I hate the thought otherwise... I think that would be the hardest thing about working at the shelter... knowing that an animal died because no one wanted it - it breaks my heart just thinking about it!!! I love my furry kids so much. I have a pic for you of my Guido I think you will love!!! Here it is:

Guido thinks he's a people... he likes to drink from water bottles too!! Look at his cute nose in the bottle!!!

Hi Charlotte, I have heard that *Dollywood* is a great place to go... would you recommend it?? Sounds like you had a wonderful time together!! It is always exhausting when coming back from a trip - you need a day or two to catch up!! I really enjoyed reading all about the fun you had!! I am so happy for you.

Thank-you for the Anniversary wishes... we had a nice quiet day together at home and dinner out w/ Joe's sis & hubby. Simple but real nice! We needed it

August 1st we go to the Dentist and on Aug 8th I go for my physical... so after that I should be all set!!! All I want to hear from the Dr. is that I am as healthy on the insides as I feel!! It will let me know that I am on the right path... You know...

Hi Bluet! Your 4th sounded nice too... allot of our friends stayed home too. WoW a maple went down!!! What a mess... glad it didn't HIT your home!!! We got the strong winds too... and very little rain... we have had cloudy days the last two days, but very little rain. I have to water everything every morning or I'll loose them and we cannot have that happen after all our work

We got in 27.75 miles for JUNE and have 7.5 miles in for JULY so far. I wanted to get in more for June, but we were just too busy

How busy you are these days with your gardens and work... phew! I am exhausted just reading your post

*Prayers* for your DH I see that he is going for surgery tomorrow??? What a bummer that the Dr's didn't think to do that MRI sooner!!! What's up with that anyway?

Your MIL is 92!!! Bless her heart!!! I hope that she is feeling better after that scare! It is so common for the elderly to become dehydrated... they forget to drink water. And when you don't drink your BP will go wacky - bet that's why she passed out like that --- not to mention missing a pill didn't help any. How is she doing today?

Bluet... send me the pics you want to post by e-mail I will be GLAD to resize them for you and post them... I would love to see them & sure that everyone else does too!!! You did get my new E-mail address I hope? (I have DSL now & love it!!) ->> send them to me... I don't mind at all

Hi Diane, I sent you an PM when I visited last with directions on how to post images *IN* your post... did you get it???

What a Cute Professional Picture of Emilee!! And what a good baby! Sleeping like that... and it sounds like Bradley is loving being a BIG BROTHER How adorable!!!

How was your trip to La.? I bet you have a wonderful time I love being HOME too!!!! Trips are so exhausting I know it's good to get away, but I too am a *homebody* and love being home with my hubby and kitties...

I am so happy to read that you are still walking... it's so good for you!! Joe's BP is back to normal and we are thrilled!!! He now takes Calcium with Vit D, Mag & zinc 3x a day, gets to bed by 9:30/10pm and walks everyday... this morning his BP was 116/76... isn't that great!!! I am so happy!

Hi Bonnie2, Belated *Happy Birthday* wishes for DD's 28th (on 6/26) and DH's 60th (on 6/28)... sounds like they had great birthdays!!!

I hope that your trip to Mo. is rewarding and refreshing for you both
*Have a GREAT time!!!!*

Hi Willow, I hope that you are still feeling better and recovering well from your surgery... haven't heard from you in awhile.

*~*~*

Hope you are having a great Wednesday!!!
*Smiles*

<><

*~*~*~*~*~*~*
SunnyD57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 04:17 PM   #5  

Hello,

Bonnie2, I live in Wisconsin on Lake Michigan's shore, about 180 miles directly north of Milwaukee.

Sunny, thank you for the offer to resize my pictures for the forum, I will e-mail them to you this evening when I get home after supper.

Talk to you all later. Hey, Charlotte, the word is isolating. Are you isolating Charlotte? Everyone needs that every now and again. Hope your health is good Charlotte. I suppose you are getting that rain that we need so desparately in the midwest. Rained some on the 4th, but not nearly enough.

Bluet
Old 07-06-2005, 04:58 PM   #6  

Shoot, I mixed up Diane's trip with Bonnie2's trip--sorry about that! So, Bonnie2, is it a totally free vacation? I've heard of that resort. I hope you have lots and lots of fun.

Bluet, that must have been some wind to blow down a large tree like that. Sorry it didn't bring any rain. I think a storm should at least be productive, don't you? How cool that you got a tour of the house. You know, more people seem to want the smaller lots. I just don't like being that close to my neighbors, even if I do like them. In some subdivisions around here, you could probably hear everything that goes on in your neighbor's house during the spring and summer when windows are open, not to mention looking right into bathroom windows. Do you go to fireworks every year? We haven't been since we moved out of Boise where the fireworks display was convenient to our house.

SunnyD, sounds like you had a relaxing weekend. Do they really roast an ox at an oxen roast?? I've heard of pig roasts (very popular in Colorado and Idaho for some reason), but never oxen roasts. Five photos for $177 would be a little over $30 a photo. That does seem kind of spendy, but well worth it, don't you think? Sometimes it's difficult to get a photo you really like so it's money well spent.

I think the cats just picked up a tummy bug. The one that was sickest still isn't quite over it, but the other two are fine. No more vomiting from anyone so that's good. Stain-resistant carpets should come with a caveat about pet stains. For some reason, pet stains just don't come out that well. Aww, Guido looks so cute drinking out of the bottle! You should enter that photo in a cute kitty contest. I don't know if the cat got adopted, but she was so pretty and sweet, I'm sure she did. There are just some things that you don't want to ask at animal shelters, you know? I prefer to think that if they're not there, then they must have gotten a home. I mean, hey, if I like an animal, everyone else must like it, too! Good for you on the walking! I was talking to a guy who took an aging and the brain class and was told that walking a couple of miles a day is the best way for your brain to stay healthy so you won't have memory problems. I better get my walking shoes on!

I'm hungry, but I just got finished having my teeth cleaned and they feel so darn good that I don't want to mess them up. I enjoyed talking to the hygenist, although he, of course, did most of the talking. If you're a compulsive talker, that would be a great job because you've got a captive audience. He wasn't compulsive--just interesting and nice, and he did a good job on my teeth, too.

So I got brave and planted three perennials, thinking I can move them when I decide how I really want my yard. I planted daylilies and a purple penstemon. One of these days, I will get my photos together and get them online. I changed back to my regular computer from the laptop so I've got to sort out stuff again.

I got weighed yesterday and lost about a pound (not quite) so that's okay. I still have a ways to go before I hit that VFT (virgin fat territory). While I could kick myself for gaining weight since last November, it was a good learning experience, I guess.

Charlotte, hope you're doing okay. Have a good evening, everyone!
Old 07-07-2005, 07:58 AM   #7  

Smile Bluet/Bonnie's Garden Pictures

Here are BLUET/BONNIE'S Beautiful Garden Pictures:

Bluet/Bonnie, I have a beautiful photo that you
sent me of you and Charlie...
May I post that for all to see as well?
Or would you rather I didn't...

Beautiful, Beautiful Gardens!!!!!
Love,

<><

*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old 07-07-2005, 07:30 PM   #8  

Bonnie, your garden is absolutely beautiful!! I love the brick path, and the lady holding the flowers, and the cool arbor, and, well, everything! And it looks so darn weed free--how'd you do that? Thanks for posting those photos, SunnyD.

Woke up to a 3:30 am phone call from DD who told us about the attack on the British transit system. She was horrifed and wanted to know why someone would do something like that. Certainly a question I can't answer. My thoughts are with our British friends.

Started a new circuit in my circuit training class today. All I can say is, "OW!" I'm already feeling it so tomorrow will be tough. I had a massage today with a new massage therapist, the only one that my insurance pays for. He was nice enough, but he works out of his home in a decrepit old house that's piled high with junk on the porch, and inside. I was totally put off. The bathroom was filthy, and since I always have to use the bathroom before and after a massage (don't know why, but I do), I know I can't go back there. Wish the insurance covered someone else.

I took the cat back to the vet today. She's still not 100%, and she's been hiding, which isn't a good sign. Also, the other two cats beat her up today, and that's pretty unusual behavior. She has some white blood cells in her stool (vets ask a lot about stool--necessary, but really gross), which isn't normal. I have pills I have to give her--not a chore I'm looking forward to. I had them draw blood, too, just to see what's going on because they don't know why there are white blood cells in the stool. Drawing blood wasn't a lot of fun. They tried three times in her neck, and then on one of her back legs, then on another. Her blood was really thick, which I guess means she's not hydrated enough, although the vet said that clinically she wasn't dehydrated. Luckily, this is my really mellow kitty who behaved very well, although at the end you could tell she was tired of getting poked and prodded. Poor kitty!

Hope the hurricane doesn't come close to Charlotte. How is everyone else today?
Old 07-07-2005, 09:29 PM   #9  

Good Evening,

Thanks Sunny for posting my pictures. There are weeds there Shiela, they are just disguised as flowers. In the fifth picture there is a house in the background. That's the kids "next door" I always told you it was a country "next door". Also the maple tree in the left hand corner is the maple tree that went down. It was a mighty mess to clean up. It actually split in half , one half on the ground and the other half stayed standing. So the whole tree was cut down. Noah counted nineteen rings in it.

I have to go guys, DH's surgery didn't go exactly how we wanted it to go. There was more damage than we expected and the surgery was longer. I have to go check on him. I'll be back tomorrow. Take care everyone.

Bluet
Old 07-08-2005, 08:27 AM   #10  

Smile

Good Morning!

You are very welcome Bluet! I am so very sorry to hear of your hubby and it being worse then they thought! I have been lifting you both and the Dr's up in prayer and you are in my thoughts as well...

Hiya Sheila, Yes... they really had Ox roasting on spits there... we didn't have any this year, but we did the last time we went and it was very good... not much different then beef in texture, but a bit more wild in taste. The line for the sandwiches this year was over a 40 min. wait, so we all just went out for lunch

Oh good... I am glad to hear that your kitties are doing better, sure hope that the sickest one recoups all the way real soon... how old is she? Poor baby!!!! My boys have vomited more then usual this year with all the fur they are shedding still! They have never shed this bad! I am always picking up after them and cleaning with tape rollers... plus I comb them - they luv that!! But it's still so bad. I think that they are even confused by the extreme weather we've been having. Thanx!! That is a cute picture... I luv how his nose is all squished up inside the bottle - he's our character of the 3, can you tell? As for the vomit staining... it's because of the bile they bring up with it. That's why I want to get those fake hardwood floors, they resist stains like that and it would be so much easier to keep clean. Right now we have the hand-held Bissell that we use to clean up after them. Thank the Lord that they don't do that often... I give them that lax stuff to help them pass the fur in their tummies - it really does help.

WoW... it's good to know that our walking is doing so much good for us! I haven't lost any more weight though But I keep on trying... still watching and walking... although, I do think I need to add some wt-workouts in twice a week... I think then I would see some wt-loss again. WooHoo on another pound down!!! You are working so hard at it... I think I need to work harder...

I laughed so hard reading that you were sooo hungry, but didn't want to eat because your teeth were just cleaned You sound like my hubby!!! He's like that too We go on Aug. 1st for our cleaning and go at 8:30 in the morning so we will have the whole day together afterwards. So we go to breakfast after we get done and he doesn't want to eat right away - he wants to enjoy them all clean for a bit... me... I just want to eat! Hence - wt-problem!!!

Your perennials are lovely... I especially like the Day Lilies... they are so easy to keep up - do nothing and they do well I have 5 of them in my gardens 4 yellow (blooming now) and one deep rose (will bloom in a couple weeks) As for the purple penstemon - I think that hummers like those!! They make a beautiful border plant. Hey... where are those pictures!!! Send some to me and I will downsize them for you as I did for Bluet... with the DSL they come though quickly and it takes me no time to downsize them --- I'd be glad to do it for you Sheila

I know exactly what your DD must have felt... I have a friend who's family was there!! She said that her SIL needed to use the potty and so they missed the train - good thing he had that full bladder!! They all (5 in the group) decided to move on and went to Paris. The death count is still climbing in London... terrible!!!

Hello Charlotte... I sure do hope that you are doing okay with these storms coming though!!! It's worry-some when we don't hear from you! Stop in soon!!

Diane & Bonnie2, hope that you are having a good time!!!

*~*~*

Well, I had better get going...
I have cards to make and a Grad party to go to tonight...
making a Tuna, Basil and Tomato Pasta to bring...

*Smiles & God's Blessings*
<><

*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old 07-08-2005, 04:57 PM   #11  

Unhappy

Hi gals!

I was just watching the Weather Channel and they have the whole sate of Alabama under severe watches and evacuations from H-Dennis coming in... people in Mobile, Al (where Charlotte's DD is living) are evacuating. So I believe that's why Charlotte may not be coming on to post!

Lets Keep them ALL in our Thoughts and Prayers
Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Tenn., Miss., Louisiana,
S. Carolina & Kentucky I think will all get something
of this H-Dennis!

H-Dennis is suppose to reach S. Ohio by Wednesday
What a bad storm he is!

*Hugs*
<><

*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old 07-08-2005, 10:00 PM   #12  

Thanks for the update on Dennis--haven't been watching the news and was hoping it was diminish, but it sounds like it's getting worse. I imagine Charlotte is busy getting ready for the storm.

How fortunate that your friend's SIL had to use the bathroom! You never know when a small bladder might come in handy. Not to make light of it, of course, but they were really fortunate.

Have you been keeping track of inches, SunnyD? Even though you haven't been losing weight, maybe you're rearranging things? Exercise is so good for you in many ways nonetheless!

Bluet, how is your DH today? His shoulder injury sure went from being not so bad according to the doctor, to surgery, to even more damage--I'm so sorry. Let us know how he's doing, okay?

Weeds disguised as flowers. I like that! I have a lot of beautiful yellow flowers growing out front of my yard. Funny, though, the neighbors don't seem to think my yellow flowers are as nice as I do.

Saw my new neurologist today after getting kicked off my other neuro's patient roster. The new guy is quite nice, and I like him a lot better. He's sending me to a physical therapist who specializes in neuro disorder so we'll see what that is all about. Unfortunately, it's about an hour drive from my house so my DH has to take me.

The cat's bloodwork was normal, thank goodness, so we'll just keep giving her the antibiotic and hope that she perks up soon.

Tomorrow we're going to watch my friend's daughter play softball in the Special Olympics tournament. She (the daughter) called us up a couple of weeks ago and asked if we'd go. Her parents are out of town for a while so I guess we're substituting for them, although she's only 8 years younger than I am. However, she's developmentally disabled so her mental age is probably in her 20s. I'm crossing my fingers for sunshine!

Have a good weekend, everyone!
Old 07-08-2005, 11:44 PM   #13  

Hi friends,

You are right.........we're preparing for the hurricanes. DH & son are trying to get the shingles on the roof, so the black paper won't blow off. The eye of Hurricane Dennis is headed straight for us. You're also right about our daughter, Paula. She called this evening. They are expecting a repeat of what they had before. She is supposed to fly out Sunday, to go to Iowa for 2 weeks (a job assignment). The airlines called her today & cancelled until Monday. I still worry. Of course, they won't take off if it's not safe, but you never know when something will happen unexpectly. She's baking cookies today, so her little girls will have something from "mom" while she's gone. I thought that was sweet. Please pray for her to have a safe journey & their safety at home. I pray for all in it's path. We are getting a lot of warnings. Being told to store food that can't spoil, because of power going off.

I've also been gone because of my computer. I've had a lot of trouble with it. I can't get into the forum a lot of days, because of it saying "can't find page", or I can read the posts, then try to reply....only for my Internet Explorer to crash. I'm trying to clean it out good. I don't have a lot of time right now, though, for the computer, because of the weather. I even tried to email each of you to explain & my emails didn't go through!

I really enjoying the pictures of Bluet's gardens! I didn't try for graphics, fearing of crashing again.....

Here's something special for all you to enjoy:

http://d21c.com/Seabird44/inspirations/heisgod.html

I hope all are feeling better that were sick. My prayers are with you all. I'm feeling pretty good these days. I'm midway with my treatment, so that helps. Stay safe. I'll be back when I can.

Love you, my friends.....
Charlotte

Last edited by Angel-lover; 07-08-2005 at 11:52 PM.
Angel-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 05:22 AM   #14  
I can and I will do it!

Charlotte I pray for your dd and family and you guys, please be safe.

Good Sat. morning ladies sorry I haven't been around. I am trying to get all my extra cleaning done before Bradley and Emilee start coming which will be a week from Monday.

Bluet loved the pictures of your flower garden. I so love flowers but this Texas heat plays havoc on them. I especially love roses, I bought one this yr. and planted it in a pot and baby it everyday. It is a peace rose and just beautiful. Hope Dhb is feeling well and everything is looking up.

Sunny hi girl sounds like you are feeling good. You guys are doing great on your walking. I have been trying to go at least five times a wk. and have been able to increase now to 3 miles. It is amazing how much better I feel and how much energy I have, just wish I had started this yrs. ago. I hope I continue with it. As far as weight goes I am still going to WW meetings weekly, I am averaging just a half lb. weekly, but guess that beats gaining. Have a fun weekend.

Bonnie2 how are you?

Sheila congrats on the weight loss. It sounds like you too have a fun weekend planned. Have you ever done yoga? I have been considering buying a DVD.
candlelady4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:24 PM   #15  

I'm so glad that Hurricane Dennis lost some strength when he came ashore. Charlotte, I hope that your family is all well and that you all sustained no damage, or minimal damage at worst. Hope you got your computer fixed, too, so you can come on and tell us how you are!

Diane, I haven't tried yoga yet, but I think I might on Thursday. I'll let you know how it goes. Wish I could take the gentle yoga class, but I'll have to settle for the beginning class. Actually, I should be a bit leery of anything with the word "gentle" in it because I chose a dental office once because they practiced "gentle dentistry." I had the worst dental experience there ever!!

We watched two softball games on Saturday. The first game, my friend's daughter's team got creamed, and the second one they lost by one point. While that's kind of disappointing, they really play for the fun of it at Special Olympics. Susan did really well and scored the first run for her team. She also made a couple of excellent plays. My DH said that if the coaches and teams were like that when he was playing baseball, maybe he would have stayed with the sport. All the coaches were so supportive, and the players were really happy just to be out there playing. I was pretty impressed with Special Olympics. We didn't go Sunday, and Susan called to say she didn't play as well. Maybe we were good luck for her!

We ordered our new door on Saturday. It takes a couple of weeks, then they hang it, and then we have to have someone finish it. The door guy said that a clear finish only lasts a year or so, but paint lasts longer. Since we aren't painting the house for a while, we're going to put a clear finish on it to start with. Bought some more daylillies and penstemon for the front yard plus some daisies. My son sent me an e-mail and said the daylillies I planted at his house in May had died. He wanted to know if it was too shady. I said I thought the fact that he watered them twice a day and fed them every two weeks may have had something to do with it. I think he killed them with kindness! Daylillies are pretty darn hardy--don't think I've ever fed one and when I lived in Boise, I only watered three times a week, not twice a day. Oh, well--at least he's still got the spirea and alyssum.

Hope everyone (except Charlotte--we know how hers went!) had a good weekend! Oh, SunnyD, have you ever used a pill popper for your cats? Once I got the hang of it, it's pretty nifty! Our formerly friendly cat hates us, however. Hopefully she'll go back to being her sweet self once we quit stuffing pills down her throat twice a day.