Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 03:28 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Thin4Life - Week of July 4/05

Hope everyone had a safe holiday weekend!

We had a busy weekend here--DH celebrated his b-day on Saturday; we went to a 50th b-day party Saturday afternoon/evening. Sunday was spent painting our front porch. What a job that is! We have a Victorian-type porch with lots of curves/points that need to be painted and it's tedious work. I worked outside from 1-6 p.m. and am still sore this morning and I'm only a third of the way done! Yesterday we went to my SIL's for a picnic and watched the fireworks from her front lawn. I'm exhausted today and am looking forward to getting to bed at a decent time tonight!

DH and I bought a bottle of the new rum that is out that contains 1/2 the calories as regular--it's pretty good. 48 calories for 1 1/2 ounces (1 point) and if you mix it with 8 oz of light cranberry juice you have a nice cool 2 point drink I'm all about saving points.

So how was everyone else's weekend???
Old 07-05-2005, 03:57 PM   #2  
si, si signora

Hi Melissa --

Happy 5th everyone.

Nothing much new here. Exhausted from the weekend, guests, campari open, gardening, farmer's market, reading trashy mysteries, brunching, bbqing, etc...

Happy to be back on track. Have had a nice mix of veggies, whole grains and fruit today and planning chicken picatta and asparagus for dinner. Didn't make it to the gym, so I'm going to hit the lake for a three mile walk.

Back to planning.

more later!

lala
Old 07-05-2005, 04:43 PM   #3  

HI Melissa and Lala

Nice weekend here. I think I over did it with the yardwork yesterday, my back and neck are very sore today. Working too many muscles that aren't normally getting much of a work out I guess. It's tough getting back to work today..it seems like many people are out on vacation this week.

Melissa I'm going to have to try the rum. I'm always looking for a low point libation. Mix it with some diet coke and have a nice little one pointer! I'm not sure if you like diet soda or not but have you tried the new Coke Zero?? I did and didn't care for it much at all..I'll stick with the diet coke with lime. You really got a work out this weekend painting the porch. Hope the rest of it goes quickly.

Lala what trashy mysteries are you reading? I'm looking to start something that is a quick easy read. I've got to try campari.....I think I've got drinking on my brain today.

Hi to Susan and Lisa..hope you both had nice weekends.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:08 PM   #4  

Height: 6'0"

Hi, everyone. I had a nice weekend, but it was hot and stormy! Sunday had a scary storm that knocked out our satellite dish and some of our neighbors' electricity. I also worked in the yard and it was rough. DH and I golfed on the 4th, but it was so hot, we were glad for the round to end. Besides, holes 16 and 17 were under water from all of the rain that we've had.

Melissa, what is the name of this new rum? Painting a big Victorian porch? Now that's a lot of work. I don't mind painting, but I like to get it over with quick.

lala, you had a busy weekend, too. We need to return to work to rest. : ) Yes, which trashy mysteries are you reading? I'm looking for some new ones.

Well, DH and I picked his next marathon--the Breakers Marathon in Newport, RI in October. I'm looking forward to it. I've never spent much time in Rhode Island, but I hear the Newport area is pretty. Pam, have you been there much? Also, you seem to be talking about drinking a lot today. Hmmm. I've never had Campari either (not even sure what it is.)

Good news today is I weighed myself and did not gain after a weekend of lots of eating.

Hello to Susan.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:30 PM   #5  
si, si signora

Hi All,

Lisa here's a link to campari.

Trashy mysteries recently read include some by Tamar Myers who writes about the Pennysylvania Dutch and a South Carolina antiques dealer. I'm also reading Sandra Cisnero's Caramelo for book club.

Better day yesterday. Ate well, went for a 1 hour hilly walk, gardened a bunch and went to bed exhausted.

Tonight its garden, pick up for cleaning guy and a sensible dinner.

Trying to stay out of the gym and walk/run outdoors while the weather is nice and not hot.

Melissa -- I love painting, but not fussy stuff. I'll do the porch floor if you want. You must live in a lovely house. Is it older?

Pam -- hope you are less stiff today.

Lisa -- I haven't been to Newport, but liked RI (providence, pawtucket (hey, i like industrial architecture) and you are close to all those mansions. Ooh la la.

Well, back to work. I'm trying to get done here so that I can do something fun this afternoon -- like compose a survey.

lala
Old 07-06-2005, 01:12 PM   #6  

lala, thanks for the info on Campari. I must try it some time. I liked the names of the cocktails, e.g. Joy Ride! I've been reading Patricia Cornwell's books. I recently finished Isle of Dogs which is very funny. Some people don't get it.

Mansions? The rich called them their "cottages." Can you imagine? They look really great; I like old houses anyway.

Good for you for walking. I'm still trying to run. My coach (DH) keeps adding to my running time. I'm doing it gradually though. I just finished reading John Bingham's book No Need for Speed and I learned some good advice.

Hurricane season is here. We're keeping an eye on Dennis. He's supposedly headed to the Gulf of Mexico and I'm headed to my parents' home in St. Pete this weekend.

How's everyone else?
Old 07-07-2005, 11:44 AM   #7  
si, si signora

morning all.

Ack, what a morning. I am hoping that everyone I know in London is okay. Sent out some emails and wondering if my mid August trip is still a go.

I can't believe the state of the world.

Lisa -- sounds like Dennis is a nasty player. Clickhere to watch the track. Some of my colleagues put this together. Pretty nifty site.

Had an okay eating day yesterday. Ran into some bread and cheese, better than fritos. Worse that running into a cantaloupe.

Did a fridge clean out which was good. Did a garden clean out which was better. Our short season plot looks great and our long season is getting there. We need to get some wood chips for the paths. Lots of raspberries though.

Running is great. I'm going to try that tonight, run/walk/run/walk. DP is going to Vancouver, WA and Oregon today. She has a funeral to attend this afternoon (sad) and then going to a wedding on Saturday (fun).

I'm flying to San Diego on Friday afternoon to deal with condo stuff and see the parents.

How is everyone else doing?

lala
Old 07-07-2005, 11:51 AM   #8  

Good morning!

The rum is called Island Breeze and they have key lime, wild berry, and coconut. I bought the key lime.

Pam: I liked the Coke Zero; it tasted more like regular coke to me. I like the Diet Coke with Lime too.

Lisa: Congrats on not gaining! Hopefully hurricane season won't be as bad as last year for you. The painting is coming along--DS #2 and I worked on it last night and we finished the front so now we're working on the side. We still have to get the top pieces but that's not as bad as the bottom.

Lala: THanks for the info on Campari...I wondered what is was and now I know! Good for you for taking advantage of the weather. I'm hoping to get out and walk today--the humidity is finally gone and I want to take advantage of it.

I went for my WI yesterday and was shocked with a 3.2# gain I'm hoping it's due to TOM being a monster this month and that when I go next week it's gone. I didn't do all that bad over the weekend so we'll see next week.

Catch up more later...
Old 07-07-2005, 12:40 PM   #9  

lala, yes, the situation in London is very sad. I hope your friends are all safe. Mmmm, raspberries; I really like them. Last weekend I made a dessert with raspberry sorbet and had fresh raspberries over top--yummy. So, you're running now? Great. I'm still trying. Today I did 3 sets of 3-block runs (that's what my coach said to do). Thanks for the track. I wish Dennis would just disappear.

Melissa, sorry about the gain. Yes, TOM may have a lot to do with it. That rum sounds good. I'm glad your painting chore is almost over. Then you can relax (maybe)?

Tomorrow is my Friday off and I'm headed to visit my parents. DH has to work. I'm going to sing at my parents' new church.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:11 PM   #10  

Hi Ladies,

Today is my Friday also. I've decided to take Friday's off in July...nice long weekends make me sooooo happy. The weather is kind of yuck today and possibly tomorrow also, rainy and cool. Temps are only in the mid 60's.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with a photographer to pick up some pictures we had done of my kids and my sisters kids for our parents. We plan on giving them a framed picture for Christmas of all the grand kids. It was very difficult getting 3 teenagers and one 21 year old together for the picture but somehow we all finally decided on a time.

Lisa Newport is very nice. We went last summer and toured the Vanderbilt mansion, also saw the tennis hall of fame and did some great shopping. My sister and her DH were just there this past weekend. I'm sure you'll have a nice time. Hoping Dennis doesn't prove to be a menace for you.

Lala yum raspberries my favorite. I remember picking them in my grandparents garden when I was a kid. Actually my back is feeling much better today...hopefully it will stay like that for awhile. Thanks for the titles of some summer reads. I might pick up Caramelo.

Melissa I'm going to try the Key Lime Island Breeze this weekend. I'll let you know on Monday!

Hi Susan!

Well ladies I've got a lot to finish before I leave work today so I better get to it. Hope you all have a great weekend!
Old 07-08-2005, 10:11 AM   #11  

Default Barcardi Island Breeze

Can anyone tell me where you buy the Barcardi Breeze at? I live in Idaho and cant seem to find it.
Thanks
Staci J
Old 07-08-2005, 03:15 PM   #12  

Lisa/Pam: Have a great extended weekend!

Lala: I hope your friends in London are safe--it's pretty scary thinking about the magnitude of what happened there. Thank goodness there weren't more fatalities, although even 1 is too many!

Susan: Hope everything is going well with you and that the running is coming along. I really admire you for keeping up with your exercise. I need to work on that.

Emilyellie: We have to buy liquor in a State Store--it's not available in a grocery store, etc. I found it by the regular rum.

No major plans for the weekend--maybe do some more painting if the weather doesn't get too humid. One of DH's rugby buddies is going to "spray" our regular fencing (thank goodness) so I'm really excited that we don't have to paint it by hand. He said it should only take about 3 hours to get it all done. On an up note, I met my friend last night and we walked 5 miles. Now to keep it going!
Closed Thread