Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 08:27 AM   #1  

Question Wavering...

Hi. I'm Misty. I am a 28 year old SAHM mom of Audrianna (AJ) age 2 and Ben age 10 months.

I joined WW in 2002, quit without much effort. I had my daughter in April 2003. Then in December 2003 I joined again, but that very same night I realized I was pregnant again. So I didn't go back. When Ben turned 6 weeks old I started WW on my own. I did well, losing about 20 pounds by December then I had my gallbladder out. I got tired of WW and frutrated with the ups and downs I was having from having been sick. So I tried Oprah's boot camp...I didn't fair well, then Dr. Phil, considered slim fast but realized now it has aspartame in it so I can't drink it. Then back to WW, but my stuff is falling apart. I lost A-C of the complete food guide b/c the pages fell out. So I decided to try fit day, which is neat software but I'm having a hard time sticking to the whole calorie counting thing. Plus WW is so engrained in my mindset.

So here I am debating. Meetings here are on Tuesdays at 6:15. There is no gaurantee that my husband will be home in time to take the kids for me. I am having a hard time justifying the money b/c it seems I keep buying all this weightloss stuff (books, memberships, dvd's, software, weights etc) and never seem to stick to anything. But I feel like I need a time to get away from the house, a time to focus on myself. I need the support, my husband tries but doesn't get my frutrations.

So here I am sitting on the fence post trying to decide if I should join WW again, or try to work with what I have. I am embarassed to be a two time drop out going in for the third time. My husband gets annoyed with the cost factor, and pointed out to me my failures in previous attepmts at meetings. Plus add in the gas factor b/c we live in the sticks and meetings are 25 minutes away.

Plus I am looking for some new friends and support here, b/c I am posting on the Dr. Phil/Oprah board but it's down to just two of us for the most part. I'll still post there, but I was hoping I could find a place here too.

So anyway...How do all of you feel about meetings? Have you tried doing it on your own? What helped you decide to go to the meetings? Do you do core or flex? I am not familar with core they only had Winning Points and then Flex when I went. Any ideas, advice or information would be ever so helpful I am famous for my indecision
thanks ~misty
Old 07-04-2005, 09:06 AM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

1) Have you tried W/W online? It is about $30 for 3 months (there is a registration fee) and you have all the tools you need online including a data base for the food as well as a journal online.

2) Are you eligible for the W/W at home program? They send you all the materials that you would get if you went to the meetings.

However neither of these programs will you ever officially become lifetime but you could do it until you are within 5-10 pounds of your goal then start meetings.

Many people have success on these 2 programs.

Also have you tried to walk into your local meeting area and purchase the new Food Companions/Dining Out Companions? Some places will let you but others you will need proof of the online or at home program and still others will not let you at all.

Then there are several areas on the Internet that have great support forums..here, W/W official site, even Dotti's has a forum.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:31 AM   #3  

HI Misty!

WELCOME!!!

This is how I see it and just my .02!

You area here and trying again for a reason - you want to CHANGE! Do you know what the definition of insanity is? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result!

That exact saying is what launched me this time (with a past failed WW attempt, past Slim Fast attempt, etc..) I actually started the weight loss on my own, but after 4 weeks on my own, could feel myself slipping back to my old ways and joined WW. Now that WW meeting is my LIFELINE and a PRIORITY for me.

I too in the past had worried about the cost then figured out what I was spending in fast food and/or other things I surely didn't need to be eating, my weekly fee was well under that amount.

At least your youngest is just 10 months old and you are realizing you need help and support - my youngest is 8. Don't wait that long.

I know, I mean REALLY know that weight loss is 1 lb at a time - that's how I have gained it, that's how it's coming off!

Speaking from experience, GET TO THAT WW MEETING at all costs (finding a back up sitter if your husband's not home, meeting your husband AT the meeting to exchange kids with him)....be creative, we all do what we REALLY want/need to do!

Plus stay on this board and learn/get addtional support, you're at a critical stage!!!!

Hope this helps!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!

....M

p/s you can't lose weight and make excuses at the SAME TIME (I have that posted up at work where only i can see it)
Old 07-05-2005, 08:19 AM   #4  

Thank you!

I tried the online program a couple of times. The second time the journal kept dropping entires. I emailed numerous times and the help desk people just kept telling me HOW to enter stuff. I knew THAT much, sheesh. I wrote and said fix it or give me my money back. I got my money back.

We live way, way out in the sticks, so we don't qualify for the at home program. In fact to even get the e-tools for members we have to photocopy our little book and fax it to WW. This is b/c the meetings here are not part of WW international franchise they are part of the Rochester/Syracuse New York franchise or something. We don't qualify for alot of the promotions and stuff either.

I am going. I don't care if I have to take the kids with me a bring a coloring book for the two year old. I am depressed and angry and I need something to do for myself. The way I look at it is my husband spends thousands on learning to fly. This is for my health and self esteem. I deserve it. I need to be around adults sometimes. I have two kids and I babysit two more.

Thanks again! You'll be hearing from me b/c I am going to need alot of support. This looks like a great place with lots of great people!

~misty
Old 07-05-2005, 10:19 AM   #5  

THERE YA GO!

You CAN do it!

Something I am doing is Journaling - the old fashioned way (via pen and paper) :-)
and it's WORKING - I write it all down and really keep myself accountable - going to meetings will do that to as well as inspire you.

I also buy the WW Magazine - VERY inpirational as well!

I have to go to my meeting today - tad nervious, holiday weekend and all!

............HAVE A GREAT DAY!...........Mara
Old 07-05-2005, 01:31 PM   #6  

hey Misty! good luck you can do it!!
Old 07-05-2005, 03:36 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

Misty--

Strike while the iron is hot! You'll feel better once you get to the meetings. Do you have someone that could watch your children while you attend a meeting? One of the things I learned is that I need to take care of myself in order to take care of everyone else--it sounds a little selfish but you really need to feel good in order to keep up with the kids. I joined 7 years ago and at that time my youngest was 7 and my older son was 13. I feel good and as I told my DH when I first joined, I'm investing in myself and I want to be healthy for my kids.

I find the meetings helpful in getting new ideas about food finds, support, motivation, etc. I continue to attend weekly meetings even though as a Lifetime member I'm only required to weigh in once a month. You can do it!!
Old 07-06-2005, 08:39 AM   #8  
Chuggin' along...

Misty,

Good for you! I never officially joined WW, but learned about the program as a 200-pound 15-year-old when my mom was a member and had great success. I didn't feel comfortable going to meetings then (she attended with friends who happened to also be my teachers, and I couldn't handle that at 15). But I learned how to "do" weight watchers, and with my mom as my weight loss buddy, had great success. What I learned is that support is absolutely essential! Losing weight alone is a lot harder. This is important for your mental and physical health and well-being. Best of luck!

~Megan
Old 07-06-2005, 09:34 AM   #9  

I DID IT!

It wasn't embarassing at all. Everyone was nice and the focus wasn't on us new people but on the woman who lost 101 pounds! And you know for once when I got home my kids were excited to see me. Usually they are runningf or thier dad. Maybe they need a break form me once in a while too!

I am excited and looking forward to getting to know the group better.

Thank you all!
~misty
Old 07-06-2005, 10:41 AM   #10  
Alis Volat Propriis

Misty, good for you! I'm proud of you! That first step is always the hardest, and you did it and you feel good about it. Just wait until you're working that program as part of your everyday life. it's such a great feeling of accomplishment. And what better gift can you give your kids (and your hubby) than a confident, healthy mom and wife who knows how to take care of herself, even when taking care of herself means getting away from them once in a while? LOL Good for you! We're here for you.
Closed Thread