Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-01-2005, 11:22 PM   #1  

Default Why NOT to get on the scale too often...

I gained half a pound back today, and got ridiculously, irrationally upset about it. Freaked out because I don't have that much time left before I return to school, so I just want to be heading ONE direction pounds wise.

My mom gave me a nice little lecture about weight fluctuating, which I knew already but chose to ignore, and I've calmed down a bit. Tomorrow, it will be back to work.
CA85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:48 PM   #2  
Mom jeans are cool,right?

Ditto. I got on the scale this morning, to see if I came close to my July 1st goal...and woopee, I was actually right on! Then I hop on a few hours later, just to see if it was for real, and was FOUR pounds heavier.
CoolMom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 03:03 AM   #3  

So, is weighing myself 10 times a day too much?

BTW, cool unless you were pigging out like no one's business, I'd get a new scale. My old scale used to do that and it drove me crazy and now big fluctuations like that don't happen since I got a new scale, unless I have a huge meal.
Rtael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 07:51 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA85
I gained half a pound back today, and got ridiculously, irrationally upset about it. Freaked out because I don't have that much time left before I return to school, so I just want to be heading ONE direction pounds wise.

My mom gave me a nice little lecture about weight fluctuating, which I knew already but chose to ignore, and I've calmed down a bit. Tomorrow, it will be back to work.
If you are weight lifting too you could see huge fluctuations in your weight because muscle retains water when it builds.

The pros recommend calipers, inches and clothes for measuring weight loss.

The scale doesn't lie. It just doesn't tell the 100% truth all the time! lol
SOON2BE154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 05:33 PM   #5  
WW Moderator

Here is a great thread all about why the scale fluctuates.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53052
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 05:58 PM   #6  

My weight goes up midweek every week for some reason. But it doesn't stop me from weighing too often. I just know that my honesty with my food log means it's not anything to worry about.

I weigh my lowest, like a lot of people early in the morning...by the end of the day it's not unnormal for me to weigh 3-4 lbs more than my morning weight. When I get up in the middle of the night, it always drops some...

Body rhythms control some of this. Do your "official" weight however often you need (I do mine once a week), journal it, and know if you are being honest with your plan, the numbers will go down.

(Of course this still doesn't stop me from weighing too often. But then, how else could I fret about my midweek bloat?)

Knitting_a_Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 06:35 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Jennifer, great minds think alike... I was going to refer her to that thread too...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:42 AM   #8  

I find it very interesting to weigh in the morning and then at night...I am getting old here. ..and I retain a lot of fluids during the day...sometimes I am 6 or 7 lbs heavier at night ...and then after 14 gazillion trips to the bathroom at night I am back down the next morning !!
shortiemetoo is offline   Reply With Quote