Old 06-25-2005, 12:55 AM   #1  

Default Hi, im new here!

just thought i'd say hello....

so, im a poor grad student who has been successful on low carb plans, but has found it difficult to stick with (especially when money is low and ramen noodles are 10 for a dollar!)

money is relatively okay right now and id like to get back to low carb, but i have a problem....im hooked on smoothies!!!

i have one to two fruit smoothies a day consisting of fruit, ice, milk and/or yogurt....i dont know if im willing to give them up

can i do low carb while still having my pineapple raspberry smoothies everyday??
shatani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 06:41 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Shanti and welcome,

I would say yes, you could have a fruit smoothy a day (maybe not gallon size lol) by just modifying your drink, Experiment ! Select a low carb fruit like strawberries, and you might want to use the low carb yogurt and/or low carb milk. Add more ice to bulk it up. I believe there's even low carb protein drinks (powder) you can add to give it some body.

Glad your here
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 08:33 AM   #3  
Baby Steps

Welcome Doesn't it stink that it costs more to eat healthy than it does otherwise? Sorry, I can't give advice on the smoothie directions. Atkins has one for I believe a root beer float but not sure about smoothies. Good luck and welcome again
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 07:23 PM   #4  

Default Low carb smothies

One thing I have tried is the new low carb yogurt smoothie. It is from blue bunny, thy come in blackberry creme, raspberry, and strawberry. They are only 5 carbs, and they are 10 ounces!! I mix two or three together with ice, and blend them for a smoothie. Also, if I am in a hurry, I put a bottle in the freezer for a bit until it is slushy, and they are pretty good. They cost a $1.22 at Wal mart. I am not sure if they sell them anywhere else. Hope ths helps!
mommyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 01:01 AM   #5  

If you are doing two to three each time or day that is 15 carbs right there! what about the rest of your day?
if you are just starting aktins you need to only be doing 20 carbs a day and these should be coming from vegs.
sissie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 09:09 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

She didn't say she was doing Atkins or did I miss something lolol

Shatani are you just low carbing or atkins, by your post I was under the impression you are just following low carb.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 10:20 AM   #7  

sorry no help I just wanted to say Welcome !
mom2nicolenmatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 12:43 PM   #8  
Married to the USAF

Location: Misery... Uh, I mean Missouri... Moving to Germany in December '05

Welcome! I am a poor undergrad student... soon to be a poor grad student in Germany! I take comfort in the fact that I can indulge in all the cheeses I want to when I tour France!

I just wanted to say welcome!
Candy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:14 AM   #9  
on my way down again

Hi and welcome! Sorry, I can't help you with the smoothies. I only know Atkins and they would be a no with the induction plan, but I don't know for other low carb plans. For me, it not only matters what my daily carb intake is, but what they are from. What I do is add diet sprite, no more than one strawberry, and ice in a blender. That's nice and refreshing for me. Again, welcome and glad you are here.

PS There are DeVinci sugar free syrups for flavoring of drinks and food.

Last edited by Sonnet; 06-28-2005 at 01:32 AM.
Sonnet is offline   Reply With Quote