PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-17-2005, 05:37 PM   #1  

Post Artifical sweetners? are they really ok for you?

I just wanted to throw out some thoughts on artifical sweetners as SPLENDA seems to be the rage but I am constantly reminded of the facts behind it and wonder how safe it really is?

~The chemical process to make sucralose alters the chemical composition of the sugar so much that it is somehow converted to a fructo-galactose molecule. This type of sugar molecule does not occur in nature and therefore your body does not possess the ability to properly metabolize it. As a result of this "unique" biochemical make-up, McNeil Nutritionals makes it's claim that Splenda is not digested or metabolized by the body, making it have zero calories.

~There have only been six human trials to date

~The longest trial lasted three months

~At LEAST 15% of Splenda is not excreted from your body in a timely manner

Considering that Splenda bears more chemical similarity to DDT than it does to sugar, are you willing to bet your health on this data? Remember that fat soluble substances, such as DDT, can remain in your fat for decades and devastate your health....

Since I have been so bothered by the facts I have looked for alternative natural sweetners and came across STEVIA. It is derived from the herb Stevia leaf. It is 300 times sweeter than sugar but amazingly enough has a glycemic index of 0....WOW!!!!!!!!!!

It helps mantain good bacteria in the intestines and assists the immune system w/ strengthening it. It is pricey ( of course) but when you compare it to the other junk we could use it seems a small price, and the best oart about it is that you only need a very small portion of it ( compared to sugar) ie. 1 cup sugar= 2 TB stevia. I actually found this on my grocery store shelf in the natural living section and can be used for baking, drinks, cooking and sustains on heat or freezing..sounds cool:-) What do you all think and have you used this before?
groovymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 07:23 PM   #2  

There are about a billion threads on these boards in different places on this topic, so you might want to do a search on splenda and check out some of the other threads.

My personal belief about all artificial sweeteners is that they are generally safe for most people. Some people don't like eating any kind of food additives; if so, then it would make sense for you to avoid them. Likewise, some people do claim to suffer side effects; it's possible for any individual to have a sensitivity or an allergy to ANYTHING, including "natural" products. Again, if so, then you should avoid the substance! But, I've seen NOTHING in any reputable pubication that indicates that any of these are harmful for most people. I've been using artificial sweeteners since the time that saccharine was the only thing available, and I've suffered no ill health effects.

I don't know where you got the text from your post, but as a person with something of a scientific background, I find it full of accusations that don't really have much behind them. For example, what does "15% is not excreted from your body in a timely manner" mean? What is the definition of "a timely manner"? How does that percentage compare with other substances and foods? Why is the fact that there have been "only" six trials an issue? Is there some sort of optimal number of human trials? (No.) Besides, it's not the NUMBER of trials that count in science, but the quality of the trials themselves -- how the sample population was selected, how the trial was conducted, what was evaluated, how the data was interpreted, etc.

I'm not picking on you or arguing with you, just pointing out that a lot of these kinds of arguments don't understand how scientific investigations work and how to evaluate information. And, the campaign against Splenda is lead primarily by the sugar industry and the aspartame industry. Doesn't that tell you something?

P.S. I know a lot of people like stevia. I've used it and I didn't care for it, but it's worth trying if you're so inclined.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 08:02 PM   #3  

Hey, groovymommy. My son is growing some stevia sprouts in his window garden so we can try it out. I didn't know they sold it in stores. I'll have to keep an eye out. I have enough problems with migraines that are intensified by most artificial sweetners that I would rather not use them if I can avoid it.
anasazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:57 PM   #4  

Hey anasazee --

In the US stevia cannot be sold as a sweetener since it's never been FDA approved as a food. However, it CAN be sold as a supplement since supplements are essentially unregulated. So, in some stores you might find it in the supplement or health food section rather than on the shelf with the other sweeteners. I've seen it in liquid and in powder form.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 12:26 PM   #5  

I agree with funniegrrl the seems always to be more to the story than we initially here. It just seems odd that the longest trial were less than 30 days on SPLENDA , I seem to have migraines with artifical sweetners..so that is the big reason I searched for alternate sweetners. Doesnt it seems odd that chlorine is used in making the sweetner ? We have learned that the FDA does not regulate the Natural Living supplements ( vitamins, minerals,herbs, homeopathics) but I would have to say I have not ever had any noticeable side effects from any supplement I have taken, but their are numerous medications that the FDA have approved and have horrible side effects that dont always seem to outweigh the illness at times ..And the definition of a "timely manner" is 3+ days..for excretion :-) The info was derived from a doctor studying the effects of sucralose
groovymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 11:40 PM   #6  

Thanks, grrl, that helps. Now I know where to look!
Groovymoomy, me and my migraines comisserate with you and your migraines. I try to avoid artificial additives and chemicals when possible because of them. I'd rather not spend two weeks out of every month in bed! What I CAN do naturally, I DO naturally, not because I have a hatred of chemicals, just because I have a hatred of headaches!
anasazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:24 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Chlorine? That does seem strange, but then again tap water has enough chlorine in it to kill a goldfish within a few minutes. I've been using alot of splenda, so I think I'll probably check out the urban legends sites first and then the splenda research myself. I think the 30 day trial sounds suspicious myself. Hmmm
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote