Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 07:05 PM   #1  

Default Does anything suppress appetite?

Have any of you found anything to suppress your appetite besides lots of water that does not stimulate your heart to go faster??
I have drank water til I am sick, but still hungry.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:50 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

You might want to ask yourself these questions...

When you say you are 'hungry' is this physical, stomach hunger (stomach growling, feeling faint, lack of energy etc) or is it 'head hunger'?

If it's physical hunger, that's your bod giving you a clue that you gotta eat something...try something healthy AND filling. A salad...some crunchy veggies...an apple...some lean protein like chicken breast...that sort of thing.

Now about head hunger...THAT's a killer...I'm not going to make an assumption here but I know that SO many people who say they 'can't control their appetite' are referring to that nasty head hunger.

If it IS head hunger, you need to find ways around it - it could be cropping up out of habit or boredom or whatever (what I call "recreational eating").

As far as those pills, basically a waste of money IMO!
Old 06-11-2005, 08:52 AM   #3  

Protein will suppress your appetite longer than carbs or fat. So if you want a snack reach for something with protein. Example if you ate 80 cals. of chips you would want more..but one egg would be much more satisfying.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I think if you are having a lot of actual physical hunger, you need to look at what you are eating. If you are eating a lot of breads, diet products such as light ice cream, etc. they don't stay with you as long as healthy lean protein such as fish or chicken breast, and low calorie but bulky carbohydrates such as fruit. A low fat chewy granola bar can be about 120 calories, but you could eat 2 cups (a much larger portion) of watermelon chunks or sliced strawberries for about 100 calories. You could have a serving of oatmeal for about the same calories of the granola bar as well, but it is much more filling.
If you are having physical hunger, switch some of the more calorie dense foods in your diet to more foods like these that are very filling with larger portions for the same amount of calories. (No pills required! )

For emotional eating/head hunger I recommend DOING something. Stay busy. In the evening when I sit for a while in my recliner I keep a copy of Shape or Fitness magazine, or a good book near it. I read instead of munch. Knitting, crocheting, cross stitch and other handiwork is great as well because you can't eat if your hands are busy and you are concentrating. I find my emotional eating cues are boredom and stress. I keep busy to fight boredom eating, and when I am stressed I come here to 3FC to chat, or take a little walk, or do a short 10-20 minute yoga or stretching video. It really helps.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:20 AM   #5  
Empress/Queen

I agree with all points made above!

But I do think a small snack of the right kind of carbs, eaten with a bit of protein and the healthy kind of fat can be eaten at any time in the day that you feel you are hungry, whether it's emotional hunger or physical hunger. It is my OPINION that eating refined sugar, white flour products and (I think) saturated fat causes fluctuations in blood sugar levels that stimulate cravings and a feeling that we are hungry ... in many people anyhow (me, at least).

For me, nothing has worked better to eliminate hunger and cravings than cutting out refined sugar and white flour and eating small, balanced healthy meals that include carbs, protein and fat several times a day (six or even more if necessary).
Old 06-16-2005, 09:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I have had a problem with hunger all of my life. Wherever it came from, it resulted in an almost 24/7 obsession with food (I'd even dream about it). At my highest, I weighed 393 (now 364). After I quit my job and moved to Wisconsin with my husband in November, I lost 20 lbs, pretty quickly (wasn't even trying, just the difference between eating at home more and being more active), and then plateued again. I have a lot of health problems and really NEED to lose the weight, but it's been such a battle against my food obsession. Then, I decided to eliminate white flour and sugar from my diet, and try to reduce carbs without eliminating them, choosing whole grains whenever possible. I had noticed that refined carbs really aggravate my pain and fatigue from fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis. I couldn't believe the difference this has made in my hunger. The urge to binge is almost completely gone, and I have lost 9 lbs in the last month (one week I lost nothing because I went "off" my diet a few days and felt like crap again). Small meals shrink your stomache, and keep your energy level constant, so I try to eat every three to five hours, depending on how small my snack-meals are, but I've even forgotten to eat for eight hours or more, while not doing anything in particular, which believe me, didn't happen before. The Weight Watcher's CORE program is pretty much what I follow, inspired alot by the books The Paleolithic Diet and Neanderthin (there are webpages). Without going to extremes, I try to eat foods as close to their natural state as possible (I'm not into the raw food fad, though I do try to eat more raw veggies than cooked).
Old 06-18-2005, 11:35 PM   #7  
Empress/Queen

That's great, kaplods!!! Congratulations on your success both with the weight loss and how the elimination of the refined sugar and white flour has helped you feel better, too. I love hearing that this works for others ... it helps keep me going on it. Wish I were better at raw veggies, though.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:30 AM   #8  

ITA with the above posters. Find foods that really fill you up to manage hunger better. I just had oatmeal for breakfast and it was so filling! Use old-fashioned or steel cut oats - better for you and more filling as they are so bulky; they cook in the micro also.

Here's what I made for breakfast: 1/3 c. old-fashioned oats, scant 2/3 c. water, 1/2 banana, splenda and cinnamon. Slice banana in micro safe bowl, add oats, water, splenda and cinnamon, do not stir. Cook in micro for 3-4 min. Let set a couple of minutes, add a little skim milk if you desire, stir and enjoy!
Old 06-22-2005, 12:52 AM   #9  
LBTEPA

Exercise, particulalrly in the fresh air, acts as a temprary appetite suppressant and helps with anxiety/stress/boredom related eating. Not swimming though - that makes me ravenous!
Old 07-17-2005, 10:46 AM   #10  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"

the one a day weight smart vitamins, really cut my appetite.. but i agree with the suggestion to eat protein!
Closed Thread