Old 06-10-2005, 04:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 269/243/145

Default Lookin for a good pilates video

Hi all, I just started my weight loss journey May 25th and started working out this week. I am currently doing Tae Bo. This week I am doing the 8 minute workout. I hope to start doing the 30 minute routine next week. I actually tried that first but it was very frustrating not to be able to finish. I really like doing Tae Bo but I would also like to add some pilates to my routine, so I am looking for suggestions on everyones favorite pilates routine.
Thanks,
Jen
gingerjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

It would be great for you to start with a "basics" Pilates video if you are new to it. Some good ones for beginners are:

-Pilates For Dummies

-You Can Do Pilates (Leslie Sansone)

-Pilates Matwork (Denise Austin-she has more than one Pilates video, this is the basic one that doesn't use any equipment.)
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:05 PM   #3  

I would recommend staying away from the actual Pilates (like the one on TV with Daisy Fuentes). I bought the set and was very dissapointed that I couldn't even come close the the way it is supposed to be. Even the very modified version was very difficult. I was very discouraged and gave it away!
Unless you are in pretty good shape that is!
partschik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:36 AM   #4  

I like the Winsor system. If you need an easier video to start with however, start with the ones I mentioned in my earlier post. The Leslie Sansone is probably the easiest to start with.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:48 PM   #5  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I have the Windsor System too and I really like the workouts. I did Pilates for Dummies before that so Windsor may not be a good set for beginners.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:18 PM   #6  

I also wanted to clarify that all of the videos, be they by Denise Austin, Leslie Sansone, Crunch, Stott Pilates, or Windsor, or what have you are all "Pilates". Pilates is the "type" of workout you are doing-like yoga, strength training, etc. not the brand name.

Pilates was named after the person (last name Pilates) who started this form of exercise. It was an exercise system meant to strengthen dancers, but still leaving them flexible and limber, and not to add bulk.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:21 PM   #7  

Height: 5' 8"

Default Pilates! Pilates!

I have some personal experience with Pilates.

I don't do it as often as I'd like, everytime I do a pilates workout I feel so uplifted, calm, serene and energized afterward!

If you want a great beginner Pilates mat workout, without any gadgets or complications. I would definitely get the book "The Pilates Powerhouse" by Mari Winsor. I've never seen her videos, so I can't comment on those, but the book is really great if you want a simple to the point workout. It has beginner, intermediate and advanced moves. It explains them very well. I just got some little post-its and put it on all the beginner workouts, the first time I did it was challenging but I could go at my own pace and not have to worry about keeping up with a video. I love the book and highly recommend it for any one wanting to begin pilates. It was my first introduction to the Pilates methods and I was impressed.

I also have two videos that I love to do too, I have the Pilates bodyband kit from Gaiam. I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond, it comes with 3 different levels of resistance bands and on the video it has 3 ladys one doing beginner modifications, and one doing some advanced modifications. It is really great too.

Then I also have Pick you Spot Pilates Crunch video. It's the one in the purple box. I really enjoy doing that one too. It's got 3 10minute workouts for the Belly, Butt, & Thighs. I just do the whole video at once and it is quiet challenging for me. I think I got it at Target.

Hope these help you! I got the book first and as I got more comfortable with the Pilates moves (and stronger) I got the two videos for some variety.
Sun_Flower2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:00 AM   #8  

"Crunch Pick your spot pilates" and "Crunch fat burning pilates"!
mom2nicolenmatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:18 PM   #9  
FerretNose

I have both of these myself, they were the very first ex tapes I ever did. I started out pretty much sedentary, and coulnd't take any jarring movements, so these were perfect starters. I'd reccomend them for sure.
FerretNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:19 PM   #10  

Height: 5'4"

Crunch Pilates with instructor Ellen Barrett is the best! There are two videos/DVDs by her. I don't like straight pilates very much, and these two feature a lot of standing work that really gets you sweating with some floor work at the end. They're awesome. Good luck!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:49 AM   #11  
~sexy chicka~

S/C/G: 265/185/165 5'5"

I aspire to the Winsor maximum burn series, but for now I stick to something more in my achieveable level. As someone who never did a lot of stretching and had negative flexibility when I started, I think I'm doing fairly well.

I have two different pilates workouts, both by QuickFix (internlocking caps QF as logo). The first one is QuickFix Total Mix, a combination DVD featuring both intro. Yoga and beginners pilates. The Pilates workout is lead by Tracy York - I really love this workout. It's not difficult, and it goes through all the motions. Tracy is a good cuer, and her tone is very relaxing. The second is QF Abs & Lower back. I am less fond of the instructor in this workout (her voice is not as soothing) but it's a reallly effective workout. Especially for the stubborn lower-belly area.

I do have to say, proper pilates form and breathing take time to learn. At first, you are just trying to copy the motions. Later, when it is more familiar and less painful (stretchy pain, not serious pain) you will find it easier to understand the force behind the movements. The right breathing method is SO important. That's when pilates got to be a lot more effective for me.
Cardiomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 05:51 PM   #12  

I have the 20/20 method pilates video, and I love it.

It's two workouts- one for legs that seems more aerobic than pilates-based, and a core strenghtening workout.

Both were rather difficult when I started them, but I'm getting much stronger. It's a great workout to do all 40 mins, but the 20 mins alone are good when I don't have much time.

Best of all, I bought it at a half-price books store (new) for $6!
jennab0benna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:55 PM   #13  

The Crunch Pilates Fat burning workout DVD is great. I did that for the first time a couple days ago-but it goes pretty fast and seems to be intense (I am used to low impact aerobics).
marche81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:10 AM   #14  

Personnally... i love the windsor pilates, however i do refrain from doing 2 of the movements..simply because my body just won't move THAT way... always a reminder - do what you can and keep from judging yourself.
S_inthebigcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:49 PM   #15  
Going goal.

S/C/G: 316/ticker/140

Height: 5'6" & 3/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2nicolenmatthew
"Crunch Pick your spot pilates" and "Crunch fat burning pilates"!
I just bought the first one you mentioned today ! I'm going to try it out tomorrow.. I am excited to try it. I didn't do it tonight because I bought WATP also so I tried that and I can feel that at the moment .
pixiefalls is offline   Reply With Quote