Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 06:56 AM   #1  

Default Fiber?

Has anyone tried adding fiber supplements to help with weight loss? Results?
Old 06-09-2005, 10:43 AM   #2  

Fiber supplements will not help with weight loss. There are many good reasons you might want to think about taking them, but the only "weight loss" they may provide is from relief from constipation. They may also help you feel more full, at least temporarily. I take psyllium capsules occasionally -- Metamucil is one brand (the BLUE capped bottle), and I've also seen store brands at places like target.

Be sure to take them with plenty of liquid, or they can cause more trouble than they can help.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:24 AM   #3  

When I hit a plateau one of the things I changed to get things moving is to eat more fiber. I believe dietary guidelines are to eat 20-25 grams of fiber per day. Most adults don't even get 15. Most fiber supplements are only 1-2 grams of fiber for each dose. If you start tracking your fiber consumption you may find you are coming up short. Some good foods to add to your diet may be Kellogg's All Bran Bars (5g), High Fiber Tortillas (anywere from 3-10g), Kashi cereals/oatmeals (5-10g), Light n' Fit yogurt w/fiber. Also, many of the low carb foods have high fiber, like the South Beach stuff. The Lunchables have 15g of fiber each. I really noticed a big difference when I added more fiber to my diet. I don't think it makes you lose weight on it's own, but the added fiber keeps you fuller longer and keeps you regular.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:57 AM   #4  
Empress/Queen

Talking

I do think fiber helps with weight loss but am not a qualified expert so it might be hypocritical to voice my opinion.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:14 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Fiber CAN help with weight loss - not those fakey fiber pills that are supposed to 'fill up your stomach' presumably so you can't eat much (gotta love (not) those tacky ads that tout their fiber pills as "gastric bypass surgery pills" ).

What I'm referring to is getting fiber in the FOOD YOU EAT - such as fresh veggies, fruits, oatmeal, high-fiber cereals, etc. THAT's what helps with weight loss.

Rather than buying those pills...why not follow this advice:

Quote:
Tips for Adding Fiber to Your Diet
Pat Baird, MA, RD, FADA

http://www.nationalfibercouncil.org/fiber_tips.htm

Health professionals recommend adults consume about 20 to 35 grams of dietary fiber per day. That's far more than the typical American diet's average fiber intake of only 15 grams per day. Those on low-carbohydrate diets consume even less. Here are some simple tips to add fiber to your diet:

Eating vs. Drinking
Eat your fruits and vegetables rather than drinking them. Instead of juices, use the whole item. Cut up an orange, eat a half of grapefruit, and tuck tomato slices into a sandwich.

Variety is Key
Choose a variety of fiber each day. For instance, have some "soluble" fiber items like berries, citrus fruits and oatmeal along with "insoluble" fiber foods like whole-wheat flour, root vegetables and whole grains.

Veggie Additions
Keep poly bags of frozen vegetables in your freezer. Add a few handfuls to soups, sauces, casseroles or pasta dishes; lightly defrost in the microwave and add to salads.

The Thrill of the Grill
Grill extra batches of vegetables and fruit when the grill is fired up. Asparagus, peppers, corn, squash, onions are great candidates; pineapple, peaches and nectarines are also enhanced on the grill (use these as a side dish or dessert).

You Made Your Bed, Now Eat It!
Serve entrees like sliced steak, chicken or fish on a "bed" of grilled zucchini, sautéed spinach or sliced onions.

Cabbage = Roughage
Finely shred cabbage and toss into soups or salads.

Supplement with Psyllium
Natural psyllium fiber is a good source of soluble fiber. Fiber from psyllium husk is used as an active ingredient in certain fiber supplements.

Add Modifiers
Order pizza with vegetable toppings. Broccoli, spinach, mushroom and onion toppings are widely offered; "salad" pizza is frequently available.

Snacks Full of Fiber
Snack on fiber: air-popped popcorn, dry-roasted nuts and seeds, and even your favorite whole-grain cereal are satisfying, fiber-filled snacks.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:30 PM   #6  

I found that I needed to start the psyllium fiber that Mrs Jim was talking about in order to keep things moving along! I don't know if it is the reduced amount of food I now eat, in comparison to the regular binge eating that I used to do, that made the difference or what, but I only take it once per day to help with regularity. I can't say that I noticed any increased weight loss because of it....
Old 06-10-2005, 12:50 PM   #7  
prepare for the BEST time

certain meds. can also have a "stopping-up" effect....(check the insert or read the label). I buy the psyllium capsules, (store brand) and take about 1/4 of the dosage if I feel things aren't moving or don't get enough from my food.....
Closed Thread