General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 10:50 AM   #1  
I'm lovin my scale

Default Sizes run big?

Hi all,
I was just wondering does anybody know if the clothes in NY&CO (new york and company) run big? The reason i ask is i was shopping yesterday and tried on jeans in old navy and the size 16 was tight. I went over to NY&CO and tried on some stuff and the size 14 fit just right (maybe just a tad bit loose). Suffice it to say i bought the 14s. Anyway, just wondering if the clothes there run big or if i'm really a 14.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:09 PM   #2  
prepare for the BEST time

I've shopped there quite a bit. I think their clothing sizes are true. I could NEVER wear Old Navy jeans, they are cut short and skimpy. One of the dresses I have from there is a very slim cut too.

I'm betting you really are a 14, but check out some other stores sizing the next time you are shopping around.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/262.2/190

Height: 5'10"

I think it's the opposite, Old Navy seems to run small. I don't buy their clothes for myself (I'm too big at the moment ) but my husband and kids get a lot of their clothes there and it always seems to run smaller than other brands. When I bought clothes at NY&Co. (I love their clothes!! Can't wait to shop there again) they seemed pretty true to size. I bet you're really a 14.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:31 PM   #4  
prepare for the BEST time

ooops, that's what I meant, NY & Co. runs true and Old Navy runs small......

my brain and my typing got confused and crossed.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

yeah, old navy is the worst. they run so small on somethings then big on others, but I have found any pants that I try on are generally to small. I bought a swim suit there and it is so big. I don't get them, so I ussually won't shop there. I think NYand Co is pretty true to size so you are a 14! yeah. I can't wait until I'm a 14.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, I agree Old Navy runs small. When I was a size 18, I almost always had to buy the size 20 in pants so they would fit. And for shirts, I almost always had to buy a XXL and even then they didn't always fit right.

Its been a while since I've been able to shop at NY&CO, but from what I remember, they were pretty accurate in sizes. I used to LOVE that store, cant wait till I can shop there again!

~Lizzy
Old 06-06-2005, 06:32 PM   #7  
I'm lovin my scale

Default I feel skinny

Thanks everyone for your responses. I was really excited yesterday when i put on that size 14, i don't think i've worn a 14 since maybe sophmore year of high school, and yesterday was my 25th b-day, so it's been awhile. I was kinda afraid to believe i really fit a size 14. I feel skinny now owning size 14's. Damn that old navy anyway.
Christine
Old 06-06-2005, 06:55 PM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Ditto on the Old Navy. I could pick up a pair of jeans about anywhere in a size 8, but had to go with a 10 in Old Navy. But I liked their ultra low waist section.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:47 AM   #9  
Almost There..

Here's my golden rule: If they sell tons of low-rise pants and skimpy shirts, they're evil and their pants are going to be too small. Congrats on bein' a size 14.

I haven't seen an NY & Co., not that I'd allow myself to shop there anyway. Anything involving New York makes me sad (long story of ******ed, meaningless teenage angst). I should probably get therapy for it..
Old 06-08-2005, 04:47 AM   #10  
it's always something

Consumer Reports mentioned this last month. Many clothing manufacturers are changing the sizes so we think we can wear a smaller size. It's a marketing gimmick. If wearing a size smaller in Brand A makes you feel better about yourself, you aren't going to buy Brand B.

Old 06-08-2005, 09:58 AM   #11  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I think this is really interesting, because a lot of people have been saying Old Navy is bad on various forums lately, but I buy almost all my clothes there! I always buy the just-below-waist boot-cut jeans, and they've been pretty reliable as far as determining my size. I have a pair of size 10 of them from Old Navy, and I have a pair of size 10 jeans I bought at Kohl's, and they both fit the same. OTOH, I tried on some jeans from a different company at Kohl's, and I couldn't squeeze into a 12!

Last time I lost weight I could fit into a 10 of Old Navy's "curvy" jeans (which they've since discontinued) but only a 12 in the regular. I guess it all depends on the cut. In any case, I buy a lot of clothes from Old Navy because they're stylish and cute while still being within my budget. But to each her own!
Old 06-08-2005, 11:22 AM   #12  
I'm lovin my scale

Default old navy jeans

Despite my complaint about the size 16 old navy jeans, i'm actually a big fan of them. I usually get the low waist or ultra low waist, both of them look better on me than the just below the waist. I was just frustrated when i went in the other day b/c my size 18's from there are practically falling off of my butt and the size 16 created a bulge. ny&co's size 14 may or may not be bigger than the average, but the gimmick worked on me, plus they were really cute, so no worries.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:15 PM   #13  

Hey ladies..
Well, in old navy i seem to wear size 7's, and in lei 8's. So i really dont know what companies sizes are right. There is times when i have been told that mayeb teh jeans have been washed and dried a lot and its making it to hard to get on?..i dunno? but i totally know what you are talking about.... Times when my size s/m shirts are to tight, as well.. i dont think that there is one exact company that makes teh same exact size..
Tru Luvin
Old 06-13-2005, 02:32 PM   #14  
Scrap-aholic

I have no idea...I have never been able to wear Old Navy pants...I don't even try anymore because I will be depressed and need to eat a dozen doughnuts. I'm guessing the 14's are right.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:29 PM   #15  
gotta lose it!

Guys...I WORK for Old Navy...our stuff runs small!! All of us female managers were complaining because "nothing" fit us anymore. I use to be a size 14/16 and now I'm a size 18/20. I don't understand, but please don't beat yourself up. Our denim is ALWAYS small!! And the skirts usually run big. Hope this helps!
Closed Thread