Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 09:32 PM   #1  

Exclamation the soy zone??

Hey. I'm new to the forum. I am a vegetarian and have being most of my 29 years of life. I've been reading the Soy Zone Diet book by Dr. Sears. Has anyone here tried this lifestyle and can offer insights? Success or Failure?
Old 06-06-2005, 08:42 AM   #2  
Long-necked Leaf Eater

I haven't tried anything by Sears. But I have been reading Dr. Dean Ornish's book "Dr. Dean Ornish's Program for Reversing Heart Disease: The Only System Scientifically Proven to Reverse Heart Disease Without Drugs or Surgery" since my dad's bypass surgery ...

And everything he has to say about these fad diets that rely more on extreme caloric restriction than on healthy eating and I wouldn't touch Atkins, South Beach, The Zone or Eating Right for Your Type diets for all the tea in China or all the oil in Saudi Arabia.

Those diets are a like playing Russian roulette with your health.

You're better off reading books by Dr. Dean Ornish or Dr. John McDougall.

I also strongly suggest reading The China Study if you are afraid that a high carbohydrate diet that is low in added fats and reasonable on protein won't be sufficiently healthy.

Last edited by mauvaisroux; 08-16-2005 at 12:20 AM. Reason: linky!
Old 08-12-2005, 01:59 PM   #3  

Agreed. Just fro the record I've got The Soy Zone and have tried it against my better judgement. IMHO its just another gimmick. The whole zone thing is a beautiful concept to my over analytical mind and I really really wanted it to be accurate but its not. I now get my protein from a wide variety of sources, soy being one small contributor. I'm over the fallacy that you need 30% of calories from protein. Its more like 10-15%. I didn't think I was even hitting that but the fitday website has shown me that I'm getting 15-20% without even trying. That's just from whole grain products, legumes and lots of greens.

Last edited by mauvaisroux; 08-16-2005 at 12:24 AM. Reason: a linky!
Closed Thread