General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 08:06 PM   #1  
Almost There..

Default This'll be interesting. What do you dislike about losing weight?

I keep hearing what people hated about being weighty. So I was thinking, losing weight has a load of downsides, too!

1. Whistles and cat calls from guys, when all the spork I'm trying to do is walk up to Sonic (shhh, if nobody knows the calories don't count .. right?). How lame and shallow can people be?!

2. How I still buy larges and then wonder why none of my clothes fit. (This only applies to shirts, as pant sizes are mysteriously shrinking. I can wear a 5 in Tripp pants, but not even a 9 in Jordache? HUH?!)

3. Healthy Choice's mysterious meat: Is it rubber? Is it chicken? Is it a rubber chicken?

4. Diet pizzas. I didn't know they still used hardtack. I get aches in the roof of my mouth for weeks after eating them! Pity they taste so good.

5. The attention. Sure, the first few times it was nice. "Wow! Sarah! You look awesome! How much weight have you lost? How'd you do it? What size pants are those? What's your waist measurement? Did you get taller, too? You look taller. Are you on Atkins or something like that? Do you use <diet pill of the week>? 'Cause I was thinking of using it. Oh, and..." Well, you get the idea.

Sorry for subjecting you all to that ******ery. I'm going to go dash out of my room now, completely forgetting that the floor in the hall is wet. Wee.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

lol, I can't say I worry about any of those food downsides anymore. I got a little obsessed with counting calories and ended up losing more than just weight over it lol (hair started falling out :P) and thankfully no one asks what clothes size I am or what my waist measurement is (well, except one person and she turned out to be quite less the friend than I initially believed!)

But yes, the attention can become annoying.

1) From people who look at me like i've become anorexic overnight because they cant for the life of them comprehend anyone changing that much "normally"

2) Guys. Now this wasnt so bad at first, it was really flattering to be hit on 20 times in a night. Now I've become far more cynical and i've been single for longer than I ever have in my life since my first boyfriend. It's more than a year since i've been in a relationship now (coincidently as long as i've been maintaining lol) and i've realised it's mostly because I can't help but think that 90% of the guys interested in me NOW would not so much as glanced before and it annoys me.

3) Not finding clothes that fit. I thought this would be a problem that would completely disappear with the weight! But no. Apparently it doesnt matter size you are, the size you want is just guarenteed to NOT be there. Must be one of Murphy's Laws lol.

4) The learning curve that being a much smaller person brings. I had to re-learn who I was all over again and that people react differently to everything I say and do. It was like I gained a new personality (as other people saw it) while I lost all the weight. Really it was just me actually SHOWING my personality for the first time ever and a lot of people didnt know how to deal with an Olivia who wasn't a shy wallflower.

I guess there is a lot of things that took a lot of getting used too, but I certainly wouldnt trade any of it to go back to how I was. I've grown a lot throughout the whole process, its definitly not just been a physical journey!

Livi
Old 06-03-2005, 09:20 PM   #3  

What do I dislike about losing weight?

NOTHING!!!!
Old 06-03-2005, 10:49 PM   #4  

Nothing here! Can I get a witness?
Old 06-04-2005, 01:26 AM   #5  
1 carton a week!

hmmmm .... I agree with negative attention from the construction workers on campus and the weirdos on the public bus *ewwwww* and always being asked "my seceret" for losing weight, uh its called eating less junk and hitting the gym a bit more
here are some others:
- when I turn down a cookie people say, "oh but you're so skinny" ... haha funny cause my ability to turn down the cookie is why I got skinny ... I ain't goin back no way no how
- being cold all the time .. I dunno if it's just me but I get cold way too easily ever since I lost some fat
- suckiest thing was having my period stop and going 9 months without menstruation and without an explanation ... luckily after a few months of birth control all is well
- being the most indecisive at restaurants because I wanna get something healthy hehe

but other than that I love looking in the mirror and being thin ... no more tears about being the biggest girl in the room
Old 06-04-2005, 02:11 AM   #6  
Almost There..

I was going to mention the cold thing, but I decided it might just be that my room is near the AC. I sleep with three blankets, have one of those mattresses you just kinda sink into, And I STILL freeze!

I'm kinda relieved other people get weirdness from random guys.. It's a horrible thing, but I was starting to feel like it was my fault somehow. We should all just buy nifty, gothic, spikey boots with giant heels. Then we can kick their throats in. :D
Old 06-04-2005, 02:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I lost my period as well and its been about a year now. I've been to the doctor and had tests run but nothing is apparently wrong. We (the doc and I) figure it must be my bodyfat is too low. This is something I am not entirely upset about lol, and apart from needing to take the odd calcium supplement its not doing any damage so I just feel glad I dont have to worry about the annoyingness of TOM!

Which made me come to an interesting conclusion. I weight 57kgs now and my doctor reckoned I need to gain about 5kgs to have a period again, which is the same weight I was when I first got my period when I was 12 (Not that HE knew that). Now, my mum who has always been and still is skinny as a maypole weighed a tiny 52kgs at 5'7 obviously got her period when she was technically "underweight" but then, she'd always been underweight her whole life, while myself at 57kgs have a BMI of 20 and so am not underweight at all.

So I wondered if the weight we first get out period (within reason) governs to an extent the optimum body fat our bodies should be to fall pregnant. Yes, I know, I think about some rather strange things sometimes lol. My doctor made a comment that the amount of bodyfat women need to be fertile varies considerably between us all so who knows hey?

Oh, and ditto on the always being cold thing! Though that hasnt been such a problem this winter around. Last year though I swear I thought I was going to DIE! lol, I've never been so cold in my whole life! Nothing could keep me warm, everyone thought I was the biggest wimp :P I sleep with my sheet, a cotton blanket, two woollen blankets and a double thickness wool doona, plus on the odd occasion two throw-rugs over the top of all that. Meh! Bring on the summer I say lol, at least then I never have to worry about overheating.

Livi

Last edited by Lyria; 06-04-2005 at 02:23 AM.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:30 AM   #8  
1 carton a week!

hey lyria, I got my first period at 12 when I weighed 215 pounds *eeek* but I still had my period when I was down until 175 ... but I agree with the body fat, I was told I don't have enough ab fat and that my body basically said Im not fit to have a child so I won't shed any eggs hehe
Old 06-04-2005, 03:41 AM   #9  
Almost There..

You're both lucky. I've never really lost my period, it's like clockwork. I first got it when I was 10, and 170+ pounds.. I hope Lyria's not right, 'cause if I have to have that much body fat I'm just not having kids. :P
Old 06-04-2005, 09:14 AM   #10  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingrid
Nothing here! Can I get a witness?
Witnessed and seconded. Somehow, personally, I just can't find a downside to getting attention. And I enjoy shopping so much anymore that I usually spend 1 hour trying on clothes just to walk out with maybe 2 items. So the clothes fit. I actually enjoy it moreso now because I can find clothes that fit me on the clearance racks.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:34 AM   #11  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hmmm.... About the only thing I can think of that is a downside is that losing weight is darn expensive! But then again, feeding my fat self was pretty expensive too I guess. But I have to keep buying new clothes (which I like to do, so no problem) and healthier food and stuff, and it ads up after a while. That and socializing is harder because it usually revolves around eating or drinking, so I try to avoid the department pizza parties and such at school.

I got unwanted attention from sleazy men when I was fat too (because I have a huge chest), and while I've gotten much less attention since moving to RI (go figure) it still happens. In fact, an old man made some comment to me yesterday while I was walking down the street with my gay friend! It was pretty funny in retrospect, I think he was more offended than I was. All I can tell you if you want to avoid attention . . . NEVER go to a gas station in Long Beach, CA. I got so much unwanted attention when I lived in Long Beach that I would drive to another city to get gas!
Old 06-04-2005, 02:21 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 265/262.2/190

Height: 5'10"

I haven't lost anywhere near what some of you have (yet!) but so far the only thing I really dislike is getting used to really paying attention to what I eat. And the first 10 minutes or so of exercise. After that it gets easier but those first 10 minutes or so of any workout are just killer.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:50 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

I know what I hate. Buying stuff for my kids that I can't have. The other day I was on the PC and my daughter was watching me and eating a Lil Debbie cake. The smell almost drove me insane!! I put her out the room so I wouldn't tackle her, wrestle the cake from her and gobble it down in one bite.

Tiki.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:48 PM   #14  
one of my goals!

S/C/G: 215/203/150

Height: 5'7"

For me the most frustrating thing about loosing weight is feeling like I have worked SO hard at the gym and in the kitchen, and only seeing a loss of about 1.5 lbs a week. I just feel like, "I'm not skinny yet ??????" And I know that slow and steady is healthy, but I want it NOW!!!
I feel like I got fat over night, and now I want to get skinny the same way.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:10 PM   #15  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I am soooo with you guys on the cold thing BRRRRRRR! I've bought TONS of cute summer clothes that I'm dying to wear, but I'm still snuggled up in my PARKA!
Closed Thread