Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 02:07 PM   #1  

Default Ever been shocked at point values?

Is there a product that you were surprised at it's point value?

I was shocked at Ramen noodles (my college favorite) there is nothing to them but dried up noodles and a flavor packet...one packet is like 9 points and a load of soduium...

The chicken strip basket at Dairy Queen....it has more than a day's worth of points...yikes!

And some so-called healthy granola bars have more fat and calories than candy bars!

What has surprised you...?
Old 06-01-2005, 02:21 PM   #2  

Back around Easter I went to a local candy store to get stuff for my kids' baskets. This store always gives a free sample of one of their chocolate creams or something similar. I was tempted to eat it when I got back to my office, but I thought I'd just check the points first.

5 points for one piece of candy the size of a walnut.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:39 PM   #3  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Oh yeah! Bagels and "low fat" muffins - I thought I was making better choices at the local Tim Horton's coffee shop but when I checked the points values I may as well eat a donut and enjoy the treat!
Old 06-01-2005, 04:21 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Coconut shrimp -- 5 points per piece! Yikes!
Old 06-01-2005, 04:27 PM   #5  

I was amazed at the high point value of a Tim Horton's Cappuccino. I had a pamphlet listing the the nutritional values totalling 3pts, but off the website calculates to 6 points. So much for a low point very sweet treat. Needless to say, 6 points for a drink of any sort is too steep for me.

~Tammy
Old 06-01-2005, 05:19 PM   #6  
Eat well, Live well

I was sad when I realized that the size of a steak that I would normally like to eat was going to be 15 points, more than 1/2 a day's worth! I think my DH (who is also in WW) was even more sad.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:38 PM   #7  

alot of things surprised me with their points values. seems like you cant go out anywhere without out spending all your points for the day, on that one "out to eat" meal. I was also really surprised to see about triscuits! i thought i was doing my body good when i ate a healthy snack, but really its like 7 for 3 pts! i could eat that in 1 or 2 mouthfuls . Also peanut butter. I love the stuff, but i wont touch it, becuase you dont seem to get your moneys worth! 2 tbsp for something like 3-4 pts? hah! yeah right. thats like 3-4 good cups of fruit! compare the amounts! so many things learned from this plan, it truly is a lifestyle, not a diet.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:38 PM   #8  
Mrs. S.

I had an awesome week last week, and since I hadn't had ice cream in ages, I decided to join my two children in having a DQ dipped ice cream cone. Too bad I checked point value AFTER I ate it... it was 12 points! (I still had a good weigh-in the following morning!)

Susan

180/159/148
Old 06-01-2005, 08:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

I would get a salad at Einsteins Bagles thinking it was better than eating a bagel sandwhich but, it was 12 pts. not that the sandwhiches were low in points either but 12 for a salad no way.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:17 AM   #10  

Our grocery stores have salads in the deli department....I 'POINTED" the seafood salad and it was 21 points!

Remember just cuz it's a salad, doesn't mean it's healthy!
Old 06-02-2005, 08:56 AM   #11  

I went to the store and found these pre-made breakfast sandwiches, I grabbed my points finder and figured the points for the ham and cheese at 4 points. These were fairly small sandwiches (like a 4 inch square). So I happily buy 3 of them....I was bragging about my find to some one a few days later (after consuming 2 of them) and was showing her how to figure up the points, when 'lo and behold.....I realized the serving size for one of these sandwiches was actually 2 SERVINGS!! (Which made the whole thing 8 points) Did I mention these sandwiches were a 4 inch square? I could not belive it. Now I know to pay extra attention to serving sizes, especially on pre-packed, convience food.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:19 AM   #12  

Speaking of salads...Subway's Atkins salads are not that great pointwise either. I had the Spinach salad with chicken and vinaigrette dressing and it came out to something ridiculous like 10 or 12 points (and I didn't have cheese on it!).

I figured out that it was better to have a 6inch grilled chicken sub without cheese and just veggies and mustard and it was still less points than that salad and more filling!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:17 AM   #13  

Lipbalmer-I agree with the peanut better thing-way to many points even for a good protein. Another biggie is alcohol-one margarita-ouch! Of course they are jumbo sized... and I have to eat the chips/salsa with them...what a diet buster!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:58 AM   #14  

Speaking of margaritas, and salsa......I can not believe how high tortilla chips are! I know they are deep fried, but even the "lite" ones are still high. Those are one thing that I keep out of my house.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:26 PM   #15  

If I am having a party at home I make Margaritas with Crystal Light lime flavor - not bad and lowers the points. I also serve toasted pita triangles with hummous and/or fresh salsa or the baked tostitos.

Another thing that freaked me out was Smartfood popcorn. Here I thought that eating popcorn would be better than eating chips - not that stuff! It has just as many points as the chips do. Instead I make my own popcorn with an airpopper, butter flavored cooking spray and some spices.
Closed Thread