Old 05-31-2005, 03:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/209/150

Height: 5'6"

Wink Do you do it?

Meditation that is?

With all the stress that has been going on around my household I really need something to relax me. Stress = overeating for me. I haven't been good about keeping up with it lately, but I notice it really does help. One day I had to go in the bathroom to do it
Jessie_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 238/157/138

Height: 5'4

I don't on my own, but I notice that the "quiet time" in yoga class is very helpful to gather myself. I've been slacking on going to classes, maybe that's why I'm eating sooooo much!
flxthct107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:00 PM   #3  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I've never been able to do it. I have a hard time taking it seriously enough maybe, but if I try to clear my mind, I fail miserably. My "quiet time" is usually playing solitaire or something for a little while.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:18 PM   #4  

I know what you mean clippy. I got some really good advice from a lady at another message board I frequent. She said;

Quote:
The trick to meditating isn't to make your mind blank and to think nothing. I don't believe that's possible. Instead I believe what you'd want to aim for is for thoughts to go in and out of your mind without you stopping them to ponder them. Think of your mind as a room with open windows and doors. Thoughts come in like a breeze and pass through but you don't stop the breeze and it goes out the open window on the other side.

This isn't something you'll be able to do right away but it is something you can learn by doing. With meditation you're training your brain to let these thoughts come in and out while you're meditating. After a while you'll notice yourself being able to do it for longer periods of time.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:35 PM   #5  
Chubbles

what i do is concentrate on sounds...lawn mowers outside, my breathing and heartbeat, the ticking of a clock...then i seperate the sounds in my mind from the actual object...i see the sounds instead of seeing what is making the sound in my head...that helps me to meditate.
breakfastsurreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

I don't meditate per say(is that how you spell that?) but I do make sure I always have my tub time. people think I am weird when I say this but, everynight, I lock the bathroom door and take a bath alone, no kids, no parents, no phone. It is ussaully after my son is in bed but its the only way I get time to my self and can get ready for sleep. I definatley need it.
jennie934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:44 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

hmm...does sleep count as meditation? I would LOVE to be able to take a bath every night--you're so lucky! I leave my house at 5:30 (alarm starts waking me up at 4:30am), and I don't usually get home until about 10 or 11pm. That leaves me about 7 hours of being at home each night during the week--I spend that time preparing my uniform for work the next day (must iron the shirt), packing my food for the day (I can only eat breakfast at home--everything else is packed), and sleeping. Sometimes I take a quick shower when I get home at night, sometimes in the morning--depends on how tired I am at the end of the day (and how much my feet hurt!). Working 2 jobs is a b!tch, man!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:33 PM   #8  

aww, Jill, 2 jobs sucks. i've done that in the past. do you work that schedule everyday? I always have a bunch of jobs but most are freelance kinds of things now a days so I do them on my own time. I wouldn't be able to do it.

When I was in school, I worked most days after classes and would order take out because I didn't think enough to pack food. and that is part of what got me to the size I am. it sounds like you are keeping it together. I wish I had been able to do that. Keep it up!
Old 06-03-2005, 06:24 AM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I work the crazy schedule 4 days a week--Monday through Thursday. I work my full-time job from 6am-2pm and my part-time job from 4pm-anywhere from 9-11pm (I work in a restaurant, so it depends on whether I am hostessing or serving and how busy it is as to what time I leave). In the 2 hours between jobs, it's pointless for me to drive all the way home since I would have less than an hour to stay home before I had to head out for my second job. Instead, I usually go to the gym and do cardio between jobs. Otherwise I run a few other erands (yesterday I went to my doctor's to pick up blood work results, last wek I went to Target and bought my bf a shirt, etc.). There are a lot of times when I even end up working late at job #1 so I have to go straight to job #2. On Fridays (today!!), I only work the full-time job, so I am done at 2pm. Then I go home, start laundry, put dishes away, do whatever other chores I didn't have time to do all week, and prepare for my weekend with the bf. I only get to see him on weekends since he lives about an hour and a half away, so he comes and stays with me every weekend.

During the hectic week, I'm usually pretty good about sticking between 1300-1400 calories a day. I know that may seem low for someone who weighs about 300 pounds and is kinda active (cardio at the gym plus running around the restaurant all night), but I more than make up for it on the weekends, so my daily average for the week is actually higher than that. Weekends are the hardest--I eat out with the bf ALL the time. Even when I cook, it's easy stuff, not necessarily healty stuff, ya know? I'm just so burned out by the time the weekend rolls around that I don't want to be bothered with food preparation. Something I definitely need to work on.

Good news coming my way, though--I'm getting a mega-raise at my full-time job (I told them I was going to find a higher-paying job, so they upped my salary to keep me here), so I won't have to work all 4 nights at the restaurant every week starting in a few months. YAY!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 03:41 PM   #10  

Jilly....just reading that makes me tired
Old 06-03-2005, 04:16 PM   #11  
Chubbles

wow jill, i really admire you for all that
breakfastsurreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:13 PM   #12  

Jill, that is good that you are getting a raise, there is nothing better than money to let you know you are appreciated. But it is also good that you can use the in between time to go to they gym. I know what you mean abou the weekend. Even though I am busy on the weekend working and playing taxi for my sports nut son, I still seem to cut lose and get off track....I have my WI on sundays just to try and keep me somewhat on track.

back on the topic of meditating though, sometimes I feel like my work outs are a form of meditation. Its really the only time I zone out the world. If I am at the gym and some one trys to talk to me I ussaully get all flustered because the snapped me out of my world in my head.