South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 12:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Default Fat Can Serve a Function

http://www.normaleating.com/women.php for the entire article

Fat Can Serve a Function
Most people, when asked if they want to be fat, will quickly say no. But it's important to realize that nothing is black or white, good or bad. Everything has an upside and a downside. Being attractive has disadvantages, and being fat can serve a positive function. This is especially true for women, whose bodies are the target of such excessive focus in this society.

Special Challenges for Women
Being fat serves a positive purpose of some kind for virtually every overweight woman, and it's very valuable to try to figure out what that is for you as an individual, how being fat has made your life easier. This insight helps you to realize that your ambivalent, push-me-pull-you behavior isn't completely crazy.

You may wonder why you continue to eat if you want to be slim. One reason is that a part of you doesn't want to be slim. This is why many women will eat more when they've weighed themselves and noticed a weight loss. They are ambivalent about being slim. It's being at war with themselves that keeps people fat. There's a part that wants to be slim, and there's a part that does not.

Being fat...

Prevents unwanted sexual attention and advances.
Focuses workplace attention away from a woman's appearance and onto her performance.
Allows women to define their own role, instead of being forced into becoming wives and mothers.
Makes friendships with other women easier because a fat woman is not a threat.
Allows women to bond with their mothers and other women over a shared problem.
Allows women to test a man's affections and make sure they are based on substance.
Is a way to rebel against and reject women's role in society.
Makes women feel less vulnerable and "easy to push around".
Reduces discomfort with sexuality that sometimes occurs after becoming a mother.
Is a way to express anger towards your partner by refusing to look how he wants you to look.
Reduces anxiety in women who fear their own tendency toward promiscuity by removing opportunity.
Takes away the feeling of being "invisible" when men can't see past your appearance.
Is a way to symbolically develop "thick skin", reduce a sense of vulnerability.
Can be a manifestation of low self-esteem, a way we tell ourselves and the world we are no good.

Food Bandaides
When we feel terrible and don't know how to take care of ourselves, one solution is to self-soothe with food, apply a "food bandaide", so to speak. But in fact, the only real need that food can satisfy is hunger. Eating cannot solve problems such as a job you hate, financial crises, a troubled marriage, or sick children. After the fifteen minutes or so of having the food in your mouth and enjoying the taste, what you're left with is a stomach ache, self-loathing, and all the same problems. It can be difficult to take the necessary action that effects real change. Usually this involves uncomfortable self-assertion and facing internal demons. But in the end, the effort is worth it.

The next time you are hungry, ask yourself what is really bothering you, and see if you can come up with some action to take towards dealing with the problem, no matter how small a step it is. Think of something you can do that takes no longer than 15 minutes. Tell yourself you will try this first, and then eat the food afterwards. Even if you take only one small action—for example, make one phone call—the effect on how you feel can be profound. When you no longer feel trapped and victimized by life, you don't need food bandaides.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:45 PM   #2  

Default fear of losing weight

I've found that I get to a certain weight and don't really want to lose anymore. It's like I'm sabotaging myself.

I didn't get fat until I was well out of high school. It was when I got out into the "real" world. I joined the army when I was 19 years old. And at that time, there was a lot of sexual harrassment-the stuff that would put a person in jail or at least demote them now. I'd never been exposed to that before and didn't know how to handle it.

The more weight I gained, the less I had to deal with it. Now that I'm older, I understand why I put the weight on. But somehow I can't convince my body or subconscious that it's ok to be thin again. I hit a certain weight and I start to panic, eat, then get to 160 feel fat again but at least safe. I know it's all emotional.

I'm not an emotional basket case. This is a subconscious thing that I need to deal with so that I can continue to lose weight.

Anybody else have this type of thought process occasionally?

Sarah
Old 05-31-2005, 12:54 PM   #3  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Wow...that was fantastic, Sarah!!! Thank you SO much for sharing it!

I definitely find that being fat fulfilled many needs for me. It made me invisible to people, and I hate attention sometimes. It kept men from making advances, which makes me desperately uncomfortable. It gave me better chances to make friends as I wasn't a threat. It kept people from expecting much from me. It gave me permission to seek the solitude I crave--I was too fat to go out, etc., so I could stay home and read and eat alone, which is what I really wanted to do.

But it did a lot of bad things to me too...and eventually, the bad outweighed the good.

Many people seem to think that all their problems will be solved when they lose weight. I believe that all you do expose them to the light. They become worse, not better, when you take away the fat that hides them. You have to deal with them as you lose or you'll be left with a skinny body and a lot of problems. Being aware of what fat does for you is the first step in dealing with what you'll reveal on your journey to health. Great idea!
Old 05-31-2005, 01:15 PM   #4  

Invisiblility! Yes, that's it. Nobody notices the fat person, nobody really expects much from the fat person. As a fat person, I don't have to deal with the comments from men on the street.

You are so right about problems not going away when you lose the weight.

I have to somehow convince myself that I'm 40 years old now. I'm not going to get that type of attention I did at 20. Plus times have changed, men don't do that as much now a days. I'm much more mature and can handle the odd embarrassing moment now and deflect it if it looks like it might become offensive.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:15 PM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Sarah, thank you so much for this! I've added it to the "Chicks in Control" forum.

Yes, I've definitely used food as a bandaid... mostly for my depression. That turned into a habit, and now food is a real comfort to me, even though my depression is now controlled by medication.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:51 PM   #6  

Wow, great thread! I can relate to many of the reasons for staying fat. Last summer, when I weighted 178 for a few months, I ended up putting the weight right back on. I really struggled with the why. Then, a couple months ago, I was reading a magazine, and one reader asked the question as to why, at a certain weight she got down to, she would always sabotage herself. The answer was, "you just don't love yourself enough". That kinda resonated in me. Like I didn't deserve to be thin. It definitely flipped a switch in my head. I'm hoping I can keep it flipped the right way and lose this weight for good.

The fat on my body at 239 definitely represented all the emotional struggles I decided to eat instead of deal with.

I'm still peeling back the layers, but one thing I know for sure is that I will NEVER weigh 239 pounds again. I'm just not the same person. When I look back on her, I feel bad for her. She lived in such a cacoon. The world became so small, with very little possibilities. NEVER again...
Old 05-31-2005, 02:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 366/359/175

Height: 5'8"

nn

Last edited by Solus; 05-31-2005 at 02:07 PM.
Closed Thread