South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 12:00 AM   #1  

Default Going to try this again ...

Hi,
I'm going to try SB again ... I've done P1 so much, I hardly take myself seriously anymore, but I HAVE to do it this time. My daughter (she is 19) is asking me to go to the gym with her and eat healthier with her and so it's not like I'm all alone.

Also, my husband made some kind of joke about me starting P1 AGAIN and that really made me mad. I'm starting to get the feeling that maybe he's not really behind me on this, since he is overweight too and can't seem to do anything about it ...

I just had knee surgery about 3 weeks ago. I have really bad arthritis and my doc is trying to keep me from having a knee replacement since I'm only 40. I REALLY don't want more surgery. I know losing weight will make everything better. My high BP, my knee, my self-image ...

I'm going to start tomorrow. No reason not to, many reasons to start.

Looking forward to feeling better!

Andrea
Old 05-31-2005, 12:25 AM   #2  

Hi! and welcome to you!
Old 05-31-2005, 02:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 216/194/120

Height: 5"6'

Default I feel your pain

I decided to start to lose weight again myself. It is like, ok, here we go again. I am 40 also and I don't want to be 50 and still fat and out of shape. It is so hard to lose the weight and keep it off for ever. I like all the wrong things, I guess that is why I am here.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:28 AM   #4  

Don't feel alone, because you aren't. If people were able to lose the weight they wanted to first time around, the diet industry wouldn't be as rich as they are. It's a process, you are changing habits that took your entire life to perfect. Just have faith in yourself & remeber that this is for your HEALTH.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:37 AM   #5  
Cat Lover

Smile

Hi Andrea and Daj

We are all in the same boat here!

We lose and gain and keep on trying. It's a fun forum and no one will pick on you like your DH (husband).

SANDI
Old 05-31-2005, 05:51 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome to The Beach. Yes, we do this for ourselves, not for husband's or kids, but they will reap the side benefits.
This is a very supportive Forum so stick around and give and get support.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:14 AM   #7  

Welcome Aboard Akihega.... Couldn't agree more with all the other words of wisdom from the posts. Think positive and banish those negative messages that we send to ourselves ..we all tend to be our own worst critics and enemy-gotta start loving yourself.
do this for you!!!!
Old 05-31-2005, 08:52 AM   #8  

Height: 5'-2"

Andrea, I'm right there with you.
I'm 40 as well, and have about the same amount to lose as you. I'm starting Phase I today. AGAIN! But I am serious about it this time. I AM!!!
Good luck, hon!!
Old 05-31-2005, 11:45 AM   #9  

Thanks everyone, for your support ... I feel better already. I packed my SB snacks this morning for work and I'm in the SB mindset! I didn't say anything to DH about it, I'm just going to DO IT!

Thanks again for the encouragement - it comes at a time when I really need it ... this is a great board!
Old 05-31-2005, 12:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 216/194/120

Height: 5"6'

I agree about not saying anything to DH. I think mine is so tired of me with the new weightloss pills, books or me saying how tired I am all the time. I think he is just tired of me starting to lose weight and not doing it.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:58 PM   #11  

Daj, I'm sorry... I missed your post!! Welcome to the Beach!! You're going to do it this time, hon.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:44 AM   #12  

Well, I finished day 1 and have to say, it wasn't bad at all. I still need to drink more water, but I'm going to work on that. I didn't say anything to DH, but he asked me last nite if I was dieting - when I told him yes, he pretended to be supportive, but then he went into the kitchen and made potatoe soup! and asked me to taste it when he was done! I don't know what the deal is, but I told him no and he didn't ask again.

I have my work cut out for me, but I'm going to stick with it!

Daj, I like the idea of the mini goal ... I think I will do the same. 10 lb by July 1. Ellis, are you doing SB? was it hard to go to P2? that's what I'm afraid of - adding back in the foods.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:51 AM   #13  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Akihega, welcome! I'm sorry DH isn't being supportive. He may be one of those that needs to make you fail so he feels good about himself. If his sabotaging behavior continues and he won't discuss it with you, consider couples therapy. It can do wonders for your marriage. Know that failure isn't falling...it's not getting up when you fall. Success is just getting up over and over. Talk with our maintainers and they'll tell you that maintanence is all about getting up each day...putting one foot in front of the other and continuing to make the right choices. It's never easy sailing, but it's always worth it.

Try to use your past to help you with your future. What has made it hard to finish P1 in the past? What can you do to fix it this time? You can bet that whatever your DH does, you'll always have our support. You can do this!!!
Old 06-01-2005, 12:32 PM   #14  

Laurie - I think you nailed it when you said DH feels better about himself when I fail. It's kind of hard to know what he's doing at first because he makes it SEEM like he's supporting me. But then, he'll offer me something like a big mac! We were in couples therapy, but we moved and haven't started back. He's a nice guy, but very selfish and understanding that helps me deal with it. I'm alot more self-assured than he is. But - enough of that!

I think I have failed in the past because I would lose my focus. When I plan what I'm going to eat throughout the day, and the next day, I do alot better. I am learning that when I go out to eat, I can eat a salad with grilled chicken on it and be ok. And I'm not missing anything by not having the greasy-fat-food. I'm sure I will have some anxiety when I get ready to transition to P2, but I think this board will help with that.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2005, 01:29 PM   #15  

Akihega, I started Phase I again yesterday. I successfully lost about 20 pounds on South Beach in the past, but had some rough stuff to go through, and gained it back.
Phase II was a DREAM!! I initially added in the oatmeal with walnuts and cinnamon, and it was such a treat! Then I added in some berries. And then... well, let's just say I'm back on track for now.

Let the situation with your DH strengthen you, hon. It's VERY common for a spouse to prefer to live with someone who's not feeling completely good about themselves. I think it makes them feel more secure. And needed.
I hate to admit this, but because my DH only needs to lose about 15 pounds (and is a handsome guy), when I see him cheating on his diet, I think, "YES!!!" How pathetic is THAT!

Keep it up, girl... we can do this!!
Closed Thread