Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2001, 07:25 AM   #1  

How is everyone today? I am resolving to try to eat more slowly and not always be the first one finished. Funny how we all have that problem. Trudy it seems like you make out o.k. at tea time. How do you lose weight? I stayed the same this week. Feeling very lucky that I did since I overdid it over the weekend. Have a nice day. Will check in later. Have a lot of painting to get finished before we go on vacation in June. Peggy
Old 05-30-2001, 07:39 PM   #2  

G'day all

I did have a good day shopping. We bought all the stationary for the wedding invites and I bought myself a nice jumper. It is a lot colder here than Sydney. The jumper was sort of a bargain, it was very expensive but it had 30% off which made it still a bit pricey but good to tell dh how much I had once again saved
Lily as you may know 'frog tel' is off, back to us understanding American colloquisms!!

Thank you Ann for explaining Memorial Day, for us the equivalent is Anzac Day. We of course recognise November 11 and have a minute silence at 11am but no public holiday.

Someone send me the following this morning. I need to perhaps explain that Tasmanians are sometimes referred to as being a bit thick, having 2 heads and a lot of inbreeding, need I say more!! I hope I didn't offend anyone but even Tasmanians have a bit of a laugh about their reputation, bit like the blond jokes. We all know the brunettes are just jealous of the fun we blondes have

FROM A TASMANIAN MUM TO HER SON
Dear Son,

I'm writing this letter slow because I know you can't read fast.

We don't live where we did when you left home. Your dad read in the newspaper that most accidents happen within 20kms from your home, so we moved.

I won't be able to send you the address because the last Tasmanian family that lived here took the house numbers when they moved so that they wouldn't have to change their address.

This place is really nice. It even has a washing machine. I'm not sure it works so well though: last week I put a load in and pulled the chain and haven't seen them since.
The weather isn't bad here. It only rained twice last week; the first time for three days and the second time for four days.

About that coat you wanted me to send you, your Uncle Stanley said it would be too heavy to send in the mail with the buttons on, so we cut them off and put them in the pockets.

John locked his keys in the car yesterday. We were really worried because it took him two hours to get me and your father out.

Your sister had a baby this morning; but I haven't found out what it is yet so I don't know if you're an aunt or an uncle. The baby looks just like your brother...

Uncle Ted fell in a whiskey vat last week. Some men tried to pull him out but he fought them off playfully and drowned. We had him cremated and he burned for three days.

Three of your friends went off a bridge in a ute(I think you call this a pick-up truck). Ralph was driving. He rolled down the window and swam to safety. Your other two friends were in the back. They drowned because they couldn't get the tailgate down.

There isn't much more news at this time. Nothing much has happened.

Love, Mum

P.S. I was going to send you some money but I had already sealed the envelope.

I hope the letter made you smile. I do need to say that Tasmania is a beautiful island with some spectacular scenery, national parks etc. It is also known as the 'apple island', a lot of our apples are grown there.
Hope the tourism plug has redeemed me somewhat for portraying Tasmanians as not being overly bright!
Have a great day all
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 05-30-2001 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-30-2001, 09:36 PM   #3  
Member Florida Chick

Thanks Peggy. I found that I was not receiving my email notices from 3fc when a new post came on.Hence I got behind in the news. Where are you going on vacation? We will be leaving the 10th of June and going to a granddaughters H.S. Graduation, in Williamsburg, VA, then on to Maine, and then to my college class reunion in N.Y state. Visitng various friends and relativeas along the way. I'm going to miss you all, but will try to pick up a post or two at my daughters.Good news that you stayed the same and didn't go up. I feel sure I'll be up again. When someone maintains from week to week, not going up, our leader hands out BRAVO stars.

Maria: Your letter from Mum was too funny. Around here we would probably refer to the same type of personality as a Redneck, or if they were mountain people Hillbillys. The same-good folks, but but with the reputaion of being 'slow'.

Isn't it wonderful to be able to brag about saving money on sales. That always seems to go over well.Actually my DH doesn't care, as long as I am happy with what I purchase. I'm very fortuante, but I love sales. Makes me feel like I'm doing something great.Saving money! I want a new dress of my class reunion. Gotta keep up appearance with all these old classmates. Of course none of us are getting any younger

Hi everybody. Ann
Old 05-30-2001, 10:39 PM   #4  
Life Time 2001

Peggy: Im trying to get back in to the eating slower to. Did pretty good today. I just need to keep it up! Staying the same is good. Its better than gaining.

Maria: Gotta like those bargins! Its the savings that count anyways! Loved the lettet it was to funny!

Ann: wow you are going to be traving ther whole east side sounds like. The College reunion sounds like fun.

Slavika: Had a Rubarb Muffin this morning. Yummmmm Gonna look for more recipes using it in all my many many cook books. I have just always by passed them before.

Boy what a day. was really busy. Then I left my key that gets me into work at work. ALAS...... I went into the bathroom to change to go to the gym and didnt even think about it. Oh well I will just have to wait an extra hour beforing leaving for work. Im always the first one there. (need to read the boards before the day starts ya know) Cant get in with out a key. Just hope its still there where I left it tomorrow. ALAS...... Guess it was another one of those senior moments.

Have a great night all!
Old 05-31-2001, 12:02 AM   #5  
Net browser

Default ...I had a nice day

Hi Everybody
I had a nice day out with my friend today, even if it was overcast all day. I bought my grandson a lovely "Harry Potter" hard covered journal to write in, for a passing present. Of course school is not over yet but I was happy I thought of getting it for him.
I had to buy new blush, and I have been wearing one from Estee Lauder, and saw that Estee had a nice little gift with a $26.00 purchase. I bought the blush for $35.00 and "SAVED" my DH all kinds of money by getting this lovely gift for"FREE". LOL We gals sure "SAVE" our husbands a lot of money.
Lily I'm happy you liked the muffins and that you enjoy the taste of rhubarb. I made the rhubard sauce and I like it too. Don't put those two tbsp. of margarine into it that I said the recipe calls for, just a tsp or so is enough and it cuts way down on the points. I had a little dish of it this morning and some rye toast....it was good. I hope your key will be where you left it. Ann You said you were leaving on holidays on June 10th, for how long?? Sounds like you will have a lovely time. Maria There you go again saving your DH money. LOL
Peggy I really think it will do us all good to slow down when we eat. Sometimes, when it takes a long time to prepare a meal and then we sit down to eat it, we are finished in minutes. YIKES. I remember a long time ago our Leader told us to put our fork down in between forkfuls/mouthfuls. If you look around when people are eating there sure aren't many doing that.
Maria when I first got my computer someone sent me the same letter as the one you posted but it was written by a "hillbilly mama". I bet that same letter is in every country in the world with a few changes.
Hi Trudy what kind of day did you have today?
Tomorrow I get that little thingme taken off my cheek.
I saw my DIL tonight. I made her up a little basket with bath stuff and face masks, a pretty candle, moisturizers, and a "Oh Henry" chocolate bar, to say welcome home. I think she liked the the "OH Henry" the best. When I get back from a long plane trip its like all the water in my body has been taken out, my skin is so dry. She said she felt like that too. She brought us a lovely white linen/or/cotton embroidered table cloth with all the cut out work on it.
Night all.

Last edited by slavika; 05-31-2001 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-31-2001, 05:27 AM   #6  

Default at last........

G'day all,

I have been messing about all day but I finally cracked the code and my page is up and running

http://www.users.bigpond.com/amscholz/

I am quite excited working this out by myself without any help from dh. I just rang him in sydney to let him know.

Look forward to hearing what you think, it is not a 'singing and dancing' type page but I think it is quite nice, no I tell a lie, I think it is fantasmagorical

Cheers
Maria
Old 05-31-2001, 08:34 AM   #7  
Net browser

Default ...Woo Hoo, well done Maria

~~~~~~ Congratulations Maria ~~~~~~~~~~
I had a look at your new web site and was very impressed. Good for you. What a "GAL" LOL
Old 05-31-2001, 09:00 AM   #8  

Maria your site is truly fantasmagorical [love that word]. You did a great job. All that hard work paid off. BTW we seem to have to same haircut. Slavika you are a good shopper saving your dh all that money. What a hoot. Glad your dil got home safely. She came back to a nice present. Lily I hope you can get into work today and that you find your key. Maybe you need one of those thingme's that stretch from your pocket to your belt like the bikers use. LOL Ann sounds like you will be doing lots of traveling. Are you driving? We are going to the Outer Banks in North Carolina June 14th. We are staying in Duck. Never been there. We are going with my sister and her kids and their kids. There will be 22 of us. We have a rented a big house with 8 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms. It is on the beach and it has a pool. On the internet it looks nice. Should be fun. I stubbed my toe the other day and now it is all swollen and I think the nail is going to fall off. I tried to walk yesterday but it hurt too much so today I have to find some other exercises to do. Have a good day all, Peggy
Old 05-31-2001, 11:53 AM   #9  
Life Time 2001

Default fantasmagorical!!!!

Maria: Oh the page is super! Loved looking at all the photos. The Gold Coast was my Favorite.The sunset was awesome! You did a fantasmagorical job on it!

Slavika: I like the way we save are DH's all this money to. Mine doesnt see it that way tho. He just doesnt know better. The Basket you made your DIL was very nice. Bet she loved it. The table cloth she brought you sounds beautiful!

Peggy: I have one of those things on my card reader key. Doesnt help when you pull it off and place it else where tho! But I found it. And had another one made so I can keep it in my wallet just in case. Seem to be doing this alot lately. Sorry to hear about your toe. That hurts! I have done it many many times.

Best get to work as I was late.
Old 05-31-2001, 03:34 PM   #10  
Member Florida Chick

Default Fantasmagorical!

Maria: Wonderful. Makes me want to vist 'Down-under' even more. What is the bird that you used at the side of the page? I really like birds, and enjoy bird watching some, when I have the opportunity. Your little dogs are so cute. Pappillions are really fiesty litte ones and with the butterfly ears. You must miss them.

Lily: So glad you found your key and all is well. Are you still sweltering? I have been reading about the request for Californians to dry clothes outside, since dryers use the greatest amount of energy. And that home owners assoc. won't allow clothes lines. True? How is the maintenace going?

Peggy: Eating slow is a hard job. I was told to chew my food twenty times for each mouthful. But I can't do it. Being on a time schedule for meals for so much of my life is is a hard habit to break. We are going to drive on our vacation. Will be gone about 6 weeks. Good that we have so many friends and relatives with a spare bed and and that we are welcome, Cuddles dog and all. Traveling with Cuddles will be the challenge. When we went with a trailer, she had her own space.Time will tell.Your spot in N. Carolina sounds great. My DD and SIL stay there now and again, and love it. You'll have a great time, and it is too early for hurricanes.

I've got to look for some rhubarb in the stores. Your talk of muffins and such make me want some.

Slavika: Have you read any of the Harry Potter books?I guess they really appeal to the kids, but have heard that adults find them fascinating also. I am patiently waiting for the next book in the Left Behind series to come out Sometime this fall, I believe.

Hi to all. Shall check back later for more news. Ann
Old 05-31-2001, 07:53 PM   #11  
Net browser

Default ...ok thingme's all gone

Hi Everybody
Went to the doctor today and had the little mole thing removed. He told me to lay on the examining table, so that he could strap me down, and he would give me something hard to bite down on so his other patients wouldn't hear me yelling. LOL
Actually he froze it and then burnt it off with a small little thing, that looked like a soldering pen. It was over in a minute and didn't hurt at all. Lily you should know that he didn't charge me, because he said, I am so nice to him, bringing him back Macadamin nuts from Maui each time I go, and he wants that to continue. What do you think, I might be on to something here. Nuts in exchange for medical procedures. Glad your key was there waiting for you.
Peggy North Carolina, beach, pool, sure sounds good to me. You will have a lovely time. Did you say how long you would be gone?
Ann Where are you headed on your holidays?
I'm sure your little "Cuddles" will love the trip. It seems a dog is happy if it can just be by its masters. Actually, I have given my grandson the first 3 Harry Potter books and when he finished the first one he "loaned" it to me and I just finished it about two weeks ago. It was ok, but I don't think I want to read the rest. I have a ton of other books I would like to read. Remember I bought the the first Left Behind book some time ago and still didn't get a chance to read it.
Trudy gave me a small little parsley plant which I put in my garden on Tuesday and just awhile ago we had a big downpour. It was really coming down. I put on my duck shoes and my hooded jacket to go out, and DH asked if I had lost my mind. I told him, I didn't want my poor little plant to just drown in all that mud and water. He said, what plant? I said, "the little parsley plant". He just looked at me, and shook his head.....sadly I thought. LOL LOL
I'll come back later and see how you are all doing.
Old 05-31-2001, 08:03 PM   #12  

Default thank you.............

G'day all,

Thank you all! I am really pleased you enjoyed the site.
I have come down to earth now
My intention really is to keep it updated as we travel.
I feel a bit lost now, not sure what I will do today, it has really kept me occupied the past month or so.

Received a call from son who opened his birthday card before his birthday! As you may recall I posted 2 return flights to Melbourne for the weekend of June 8.
He is over the moon, very excited! It is a pity partner and him are only here for 2 nights. It is a long weekend here and I was a little late booking the flights
Never mind, I am just pleased they will be here albeit for a short time.

We also had a bit of bad news, dh's father who is 87 is far from well. He still plays golf but has been unable to play the last few weeks.
He talks now that it won't be long and he will be joining his wife who died 4 years ago. I know we all have to go sometime and 87 is pretty good but it still is awful.
I am pleased my daughter rings him regularly and my son visits him regularly for a game of cards.

Well I have to think of something to do today! Shopping perhaps..............It is just incredible the amount of money we all save our dh's by doing all this market research
Have a great day!
Thanks again for your comments, I did appreciate them.
Cheers
Maria
Old 05-31-2001, 08:09 PM   #13  

Default great minds......................

Slavika we must have been posting the same time.
PLeased to hear your little 'thingy' has been removed. Not to sure about the exchange of nuts for medical procedures

See ya

Maria
Old 05-31-2001, 09:16 PM   #14  
Super Surfer

Default ..a little bit of everything today...

We are in a weird weather pattern today, it has been warm, windy, sunny, sprinkling, thunder & lightening, downpour and now sunny and calm. I've changed my clothes 3 times today .
Maria.. your web page is truly "fantasmagorical", I think that is a word we should all use from now on. I will enjoy seeing your travels as you update. Your family is very good looking. Now, is a jumper a woolen sweater as it would be in the U.K.? Here and in the USA it would be a sleeveless loose dress-like garment with a low neck, or just shoulder straps worn over a sweater or blouse. Sorry about your F-I-L... it's just awful when they get older and start to fail, the loss can be unbearable. The Tasmanian letter was a hoot.
Slavika.. actually "barter" is a good thing, goods exchanged for services. I am sure you feel better getting that "thingme" off. My Mom went to the Doc today because of a strange lump on her thumb nuckle. It is a ganglia (sp ?). Seems the arthritis has caused some spreading in the joint and this thing has started to grow. Doc said that if it starts to hurt or gets any bigger she will have to get it out, but for the meantime just leave it alone. She is not happy with this ... she wants it off and NOW! **sigh**
Sometimes it is hard to explain what a wonderful service we provide by saving our DH's TONS OF MONEY with our purchases... they just don't get it ....
Ann .. Cuddles is such a cute name for a dog. It's good you can take him/her with you. Have fun at the reunion. I think I chew my food 2 times before I swallow ~~ but chew 20 times???? I guess I will try that. Staying the same is better than gaining.
Peggy.. actually I have nearly the same haircut too.. (so does Slavika )... WOW it is spooky, how in tune we are. Your June trip to DUCK sounds fabulous.. give us the site address so we can all take a look.
Lily.. Looks like your key was where you left it... ..it's frustrating when we do these things. I have changed handbags and I am completely lost. I carry my "life" around in it, everything is supposed to be where I can find it easily... well today I had to remove 1/2 my stuff to find my Safeway & Airmiles card...I took out my collapsible cup, dental floss, fold up shopping bag, first aid kit, toonie/loonie container.... the line behind me was quite long too.
For those of you who don't know this, we have $1.00 and $2.00 coins .. eg. Toonies and Loonies... ~ only in Canada they say.. IF you are ever given the choice to give up paper bills for coins, do yourselves a favor and say NO... they weigh a ton and, in my case need a separate container, they won't fit in my wallet.

Well, I sure had a lot to say... will give you a break and say Good Night... talk to you tomorrow...
Old 05-31-2001, 09:35 PM   #15  
Life Time 2001

Ann: Yes its still hot here 103 today. Dont know about the clothes lines. I dont live in an area that has a home Owner assoc. Thank goodness. Sounds like it would be something they would do anyways! Maintenance is going good so far. Its going to be challenging for the rest of my life thats for sure!

Slavika: Glad it didnt hurt! I would keep bringing him nuts thats for sure! You better go back soon and stock up just in case! They just are not the same unless they come from Hawaii! Did you save the plant?

Maria: Sorry to hear about your DH's father. Are you going to beable to go back and see him?
I bet your son was excited to get his present. You are gonna enjoy his visit even tho it is short. Anytime is precious!

Trudy: I like that name toonie/loonie. I didnt know they were called that. But I sure did hate them when I was there. I always thought they were a quarter. I would have to ask DH everytime I went to spend money. I cant image carrying those around all the time! But your bag sounds as bad as mine. I carry why to much stuff but its all important!

Better get dinner going DH is home and gets grumpy if I wait to long! Matter of fact he just walked by and called me a Nerd Girl. ALAS.......
Closed Thread