Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-24-2005, 06:44 AM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default hopes, dreams, and more

well, folks, it's like this. we go into this surgery with the goal of being more comfortable, more active... and maybe there are some secret things we'd really love to do but are afraid to try - or think we can't or whatever..

let 'em out!!!! and include some of those things that would NEVER have crossed your mind.

i went in wanting to travel again. paris. milan. and buy a perfect outfit. and a sports car. still haven't managed europe, or the sports car, or the perfect outfit, but in all fairness, since i haven't had the pannus removed, i'm not ready to do that.

BUT... i recently walked a 5K fundraiser. not an unusual distance, but an organized event?? with other people around? never crossed my mind before!

buying a new bicycle and actually USING it and ENJOYING it???? i'm calling it my 'midlife crisis' - that's how outside my vision it was pre-surgery..

soooooo - what are you hoping to do? planning to do? would NEVER think of doing????

we gotta have dreams.. they give us something to work for...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:13 PM   #2  

Got the car last week! My sweet husband surprised me with a 2005 red Mini Cooper S - the car of my dreams!

In a couple of weeks we're going on a vacation to a small island north of the Yucatan Peninsula. I wouldn't have dreamed of this 80 pounds ago - somehow I feel much more confident now. I'm going to try sea kayaking. It's something I've always wanted to do, but I was worried I couldn't. The sky's the limit now!

Next, I'm buying a thong. Never thought I'd try that and I may not like it, but I'm going to try it. It's all about risks, right?

Chickadee
The little red car, sea kayaking diva!
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:34 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES!!! of you in the adorable car - and in your kayak!!!!

isn't it amazing????? sometimes i feel actually POWERFUL!!!!

<notice that i didn't say i wanted to see pics of the thong!!!!!!>

yeah - something happens to us. it's not like we start losing our marbles, but more like we get some back - or something like that...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:07 AM   #4  

Good idea for a thread, Jif!

Change jobs (done).

Travel (done, and still doing).

Go back to school (doing).

Ride a horse (tried, but deathly afraid!...will have to try again).

Lingerie (two full dresser drawers full, and counting).

Rollercoaster (done).

Boat (not yet).

The others are more obvious comfort things, which became possible along the way.

And about becoming powerful, that may very well be the surprise finding of the journey for me. I am amazed at how powerful I feel. I was always so shy, but now I am probably the most outgoing, outspoken, confident person in each of the classes I have taken. Who knew???!!

Dawna
Dawnajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:29 PM   #5  

Oh God, where to begin...
Going to learn to kayak. Going to be able to walk everywhere again. Going to toss that damn handicapped placard. Going to join my honey in riding horses again. Going to be able to help carry all our camping gear and set it up (so he isn't doing it alone). We're going to go to Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales, and all over Italy (I'd like to talk him into Bermuda). He's going to buy me any and all the clothes I want. I'll feel comfortable on stage and performing again, I may get a band together. I'll ride all the rides at Santa Cruz, Disneyland, and Marine World. Definitely yes on getting the bicycle. I won't feel self-concious around my man's kids and worrying if they'll be embarrassed of their future step-mom (though since they have big parents, they've never been anything but sweet about my weight and upcoming surgery). I won't feel the need to eat like a madwoman, I'll be able to make better choices using both my brain AND my stomach. I'll wear jeans again. I'll be able to buy shoes again and not have my feet and ankles so hugely swollen (hoping my feet shrink a little again). I'll be shopping in regular stores again (and maybe some designer stores).

Hurry, hurry, hurry! I can't WAIT!!!!
MermaidInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote