PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-15-2005, 01:06 PM   #1  

Default Vegetarians with PCOS?

I was diagnosed with PCOS a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't a terribly shocking diagnosis, as I had suspected I had it for a while.

I've been researching the recommended diets that work well with PCOS/insulin resistance, but as a vegetarian, I've found most of the high-protein/low-carb diets rather restricting. I love tofu, and I love vegetables, but I know that I tend to substitute lean meats with breads and cheeses more often than I should. I'm certainly willing to make sacrifices and work to make my vegetarian diet more balanced than it is, but I wondered if there were any other PCOS dieters who ate veg*n, and if you could suggest a plan that worked well for you or was versatile enough to allow for non-meat forms of protein.

Thanks!

Ridley
ridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:11 AM   #2  
WW Moderator

Hi Ridley, it isn't too easy to low carb while vegetarian. It IS possible, but you'll be eating loads of tofu and nuts, and without starches, your choices will be slim. However, it is possible! You can do a vegetarian version of South Beach or Sugar Busters fairly easy - If it were me, I would try that first.

Are you taking metformin? Did your doctor test you for insulin resistance? Did he tell you to follow a low glycemic/low carb diet? The reason I ask is because some people can lost weight without following a low carb or low glycemic diet. Maybe you can try your own thing first, and then if that doesn't give you results, switch to something a little more strict.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:19 AM   #3  
Wellness*Body*Mind*Spirit

S/C/G: 320/320/?

Height: 5'9"

Iam a vegan who has minimized all the issues surrounding PCOS by following a vegan whole foods, organic, mostly vegetable and bean/legume diet! I take *no* medication and have eliminated most symptoms and my cysts have decreased in size and are sometimes not detectable at all when I have tests/exams done!

You gotta search and find what works best for you and your unique body, but rest assured that it is possible to battle this thing naturally in many cases. For me, cutting out dairy products, artificial foods/flavors and all packaged/processed foods was the best thing I could do for my health. Oh, and I avoid sugar as well

Blessings and good luck!
Vegan Vixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 05:38 PM   #4  

I don't know if this will help you or not, but in the past (before I let some emotional issues drive me back to over eating) weight watchers points worked well for me. I could do balanced vegetarian meals and still lose weight. However, I did add dairy and eggs to my diet, but in very small amounts.

I even forced myself to try Atkins after my official diagnosis. I do eat fish and once in a while some meat now, but the whole time I was doing the low carb thing I felt so gross.

I wish you the best in finding what works for you.
healthier me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:49 PM   #5  
angst and eyeliner

S/C/G: 230/230/150

Height: 5' 3"

hi, i am not a vegan/vegetarian but my suggestion would be to see a nutritionist. they can help you set up a balanced diet plan that takes your preferences into account. low-carbing isn't easy, but i'm sure you can do it!
isenephthys is offline   Reply With Quote