Old 05-14-2005, 06:54 PM   #1  
Ginger

Wink Weight Loss Techniques

Please share your weight loss techniques n success. Mine are basically jus tryin to eat 3 healy meals and excersing 4 times weekly. What are your?
Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 07:21 PM   #2  
I believe in Futures

Hello Dreams,

Great thread! Well, my weight loss techniques are:

1) Always eat breakfast! (I eat a bowl of high fiber cereal, usually Grape Nut or
anything from Kashi with soy milk)
2) Drink lots of water (I aim for 60-80 oz a day)
3) Sleep (I have to get my 6-8 hours of sleep every night so I'm energized to workout)
4) I journal everything I eat and everything time I exercise
5) And of course: EXERCISE! (I do cardio 5-7 times a week)
6) Drink Green Tea
7) Eat turkey sandwiches for dinner
purplebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 07:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Hmmm...

My weightloss techniques were
1) Always eat and never be hungry
2) Eat the bulk of my calorie intake before dinner. That meant having dinner for lunch and lunch for dinner.
3) Have a balanced diet
4) Lots of water
5) Exercise - both cardio & weights
6) Try not to become obsessed (lol)

Livi
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 08:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

Hi,
I do a lot of what purple banana does with a few diferences

1) Always eat breakfast! (I eat a bowl of high fiber cereal, usually Grape Nut or
anything from Kashi with soy milk)
2) Drink lots of water (I aim for 60-80 oz a day)
3) Sleep (I have to get my 6-8 hours of sleep every night so I'm energized to workout)
4) I journal everything I eat and everything time I exercise
5) EXERCISE! - I can't do as much as I would like but I get in at least 4 times a week
6) plan my meals so I am not caught starving with nothing but doughnuts to eat at work or something like that.
7) talk my self out of emotional or stress eating
jennie934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 03:25 AM   #5  
I believe in Futures

WEIGH to go! We are all on the right track. HAHAHAHHAH
Old 05-15-2005, 09:41 AM   #6  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Well, my method boils down to "eat less, exercise more."

1) Eat smaller, well-balanced meals
2) Avoid excess fat and salt
3) Work out at least three days a week, and try to do something active (like walking home instead of taking the bus) the other days
4) Drink lots of water!
5) Not give up if I have a bad day. Yesterday was pretty bad, and I'm up about a pound and a half this morning (I think it's water weight though, I didn't drink much yesterday). I'm still hopeful that I can knock that pound and a half off, along with another pound by the end of next week!
6) Make physical fitness and health a higher priority than being thin. I still struggle with this one daily.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 02:38 PM   #7  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

My technique is hard work, simple as that.

Exercising more and eating more healthily. Trying to eat more fruit and veg and less fats (cheese etc) and highly processed carbs (white bread/pasta). There's no specific plan behind it, although I've read a couple of books and picked up some common themes.

If I can't eat something healthy I try to at least make what I do eat a bit healthier than it could otherwise be. Whether that's adding veg or simply eating a smaller portion, just something to make it a bit better. Or even just being aware of it and cutting down on something else later or the next day.

I drink water almost exclusively. Very occassionally (about 3 times a week) I'll have a coffee, and at the weekend I might have something alcoholic. Strangely enough, I now like vodka and water (flavoured water, but water non the less!)

There's no simple answer, it basically comes down to working at it and considering everything that passes your lips. Not necessarily to deny yourself the things you crave, but to take account of them and to balance them out with the good stuff.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:46 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Great thread! Here are some of mine.

1) Always eat breakfast. I try and do something high in fiber and a protein or a veg at least
2) Lots of water and tea, limit everything else
3) Excercise regularly no matter how great or small just keep up the habit.
4) Make sure to appreciate the small changes so I don't become frustrated by the setbacks.
5) Sleep! Most critical one, because otherwise I don't have the willpower to do any of the rest of it.
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:03 AM   #9  

1) 5-6 small meals daily
2) Veggies or fruit with almost every meal
3) Begin each morning with 20-min pilates tape
4) 30-45 mins cardio 4-6x per week
5) No restrictions- if I really want to do something (go out to eat, spend time with friends instead of work out, etc.) I'll do it. I can fit anything into this lifestyle.
jennab0benna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:37 AM   #10  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

1.) Eat something about every 3 hours when possible (this helps keep metabolism up)

2.) I keep calories between 1400-1500 a day during the week, then splurge on weekends so I don't feel restricted and my body does not get used to any certain number of calories for a long period of time (if you have the same number of calories every day for too long, your body with "retrain" itself to use that amount of calories every day, and you'll be more likely to hit a plateau), plus for me it averages out to a good number (since I'm nearly 300 pounds, 1400-1500 EVERY day would most likely be too low since the bigger you are, the more calories you burn just in doing routine activities).

3.) DRINK WATER! I keep refilling my little water bottle all day at my office job. It's only a 16-ounce bottle, so that makes me also have to get up and walk to the water fountain multiple times throughout the day (not that it's much exercise, but at least it gets me off my butt!).

4.) Eat lots of fruits and veggies (though I find I eat a lot more fruits than veggies). I don't want to be dependant on a multi-vitamin for my nutritional needs, so even wen I kep to 1400 or so calories, I make sure my diet is as balanced as possible.

5.) Watch the sodium! This is a new one for me, since I had a high blood pressure scare a few weeks ago. I discovered that I was eating WAY more mg's of sodium than I was calories (as a guide, you shouldn't take in more mg's of sodium than you do calories in a day). I discovered the culprit was the prepared foods I was eating--even things low in calories were freakishly high in sodium (frozen meals, lean pockets, crackers, some deli meats, etc.).

6.) Exercise as much as possible! Due to physical limitations (I currently can't even put a sneaker on my foot because of a toe procedure), I haven't been working out at all for the past few weeks, but I do work as a waitress 4 nights a week, so I figure I end up running around a lot more than most people anyway

7.) DON'T GET DISCOURAGED! Lots of factors play a role in eight loss, so even when you're good all week, you could gain weight due to hormones, water retention, muscle build-up, the list goes on and on. Live by the benefits (improved health, improved stamina, better-fitting clothes) and NOT by only the number on the scale!!

8.) Keep getting support! These boards are a great place for support, advice, and the occasional kick in the a$$ when you need it. Any daunting task is more difficult with the support of friends and, more importantly, the support of others going through the same thing!

9.) I understand sleep is very important, and I would list this as a top priority for me, but because of my current financial situation, I work 2 jobs. I leave my house at 5:30am and don't get home until about 11pm 4 days a week, so unfortunately, I can't place sleep as a priority But for those of you who can, make sure you're getting enough!!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:20 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 238/157/138

Height: 5'4

1) try to stay between 1200-1400 calories a day. When I don't I try not to dwell on it and exercise more.
3) Include snacks througout the day so I don't get hungry.
2) drink lots of water
3) exercise atleast 5-6 days a week, sometimes 2X's a day
flxthct107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 12:23 PM   #12  
Shopaholic Anonymous

S/C/G: 180/148/127

Height: 5'5"ish

One of the most important rules of weight loss for me is to not eat when I'm not hungry. If I try to eat at set times during the day, I completely lose control of my food intake. I listen to my body: if I'm genuinely hungry, I eat something, and try to make it something that will fill me up with less calories. If I want food because I'm tired, bored, angry, upset, or whatever other reason I can find to eat, I find some other outlet for those emotions (like shopping, dancing to loud music, etc).

I've also concentrated on breaking habits that are troublesome for me, like the feeling that I have to "clean my plate." I take smaller helpings, reasoning that I can always go back for more if I need to, and if I'm full but feel obligated to finish my food because I don't want to "waste" it, I tell myself that whether I put it in the garbage or I put it in my stomach when I'm not hungry, either is a waste. The only difference is, one is a waste that results in your food in a garbage heap, the other is a waste that results in your food on your hips.

Great thread, btw!
mccrew_the_jew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 12:37 PM   #13  
I believe in Futures

mccrew_the_jew, congrats on the weight loss. you look awesome!
Old 05-16-2005, 08:56 PM   #14  
Shopaholic Anonymous

S/C/G: 180/148/127

Height: 5'5"ish

Thanks!! I just recently posted a pic of me that my boyfriend took a few days ago (he goes psycho with the digital camera, haha), and I will be uploading some "before" pictures as soon as I can, I just have to get to a scanner.
mccrew_the_jew is offline   Reply With Quote