Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 07:23 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Your chance to vote on my life!

Okay, mentoring on Wednesdays at noon is over. That's when our WW@work meetings are. They don't let you jump in the middle, but it'll start back soon.

OR ... I could just join at another location. We have them at my church on Tuesday nights and I could be there by the 7:15 start.

But my dilemma is this: I only want to lose around 10 pounds. Is it worth it? I *SO* know what to do to achieve the loss, but don't do it. I wonder if I just need the accountability??

My biggest obstacle is the fact that I have the beer habit. It's not an addiction by any means, because I stop and start all the time. It's just something I really like and am evidently not that motivated to give up! I have to relax after my days at work, and that's how I do it.

Help??????
Old 05-11-2005, 07:31 PM   #2  
focused and aiming

kathy, let me vote by giving you an example: me. i didn't go back to ww when i needed to lose just a few lbs. now i'm 50 lbs over weight. why am i telling you this? because nobody knows the weightwatcher program better than i do--both flex and core. the accountability of going to meetings is very important. you can work your beer into program. just count the pts.

i'm having a lot of trouble staying on my diet today. i'm floundering.

i can imagine that you're probably tired of going to the meetings. the honeymoon is over. and you also probably look really, really good. ( i haven't seen you, but i'm picking this up from your posts.) you owe it to yourself to NOT regain.

okay, i'm off my soapbox now. now it's your turn to talk me into going back t o ww meetings. i haven't been in months. (and you know the results)
Old 05-11-2005, 07:36 PM   #3  

I have never lost and regained, except for the 5 pounds I've been playing with for the last few months. I spent my whole life being too thin until I had to go on lots of medicine several years ago, then broke my foot and had 4 months of total inactivity. I just don't know what to do, except that I know I have to pick something and stick with it. Jumping around obviously isn't working.

I'd be happy with just getting to 145. And isn't that sad? Why can't I get there?
Old 05-11-2005, 07:43 PM   #4  
focused and aiming

145's not sad. that's a good weight for a normal woman. i wish i weighed that. my cardiologist has written me a letter for ww saying that he doesn't want me under 150.

i
Old 05-11-2005, 07:56 PM   #5  
Melissa

Kathy, I have no idea what to tell you! I've never been to ww meetings, but I'm also not losing weight very well. Do you think the beer will be an issue??
Old 05-11-2005, 08:13 PM   #6  

Were the meetings helpful when you WERE going? Are you a meeting type of person? I think that this board gives more constant accountability than a meeting, but you don't get to see us in person.

Maybe say you'll give it 2 or 3 months or whatever, and give yourself a deadline.

Angela
Old 05-11-2005, 09:38 PM   #7  

When I went to the meetings, I was at 160 and still "looked thin". I got mean looks from the others, which totally turned me off. I think that's another reason why I've hesitated to rejoin, at least the @work meetings (plus the fact of the schedule conflict).

I should just be happy with what I have, tone up the floppy parts, and get over it. Why on earth I'm stuck on seeing a particular number on the scale is a mystery to me.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:04 AM   #8  
Southside White Sox Fan

Kath, I wouldn't rejoin the work meetings since you said those women were mean B's. I have done WW by myself, WW with meetings, and WW without meetings. I have never been successful except for this time; doing Core and always staying for meetings. It's hard for me to say why it is working but it is. Part of it is my commitment but also a LARGE part of it is because of the accountability for getting on the scale every week. I'm very active in my meeting because I want to get as much out of it as I can. I don't take over but I participate. I get inspired by the people around me and I hope I inspire a few others along the way. Once I stopped going to meetings, I'd soon stop weighing in at all. I have a GREAT Leader who is very "in tune" with her lifetime members or those close to their goal and does not minimize their struggle. With you, she would constantly reinforce how far you have come and how much you have lost already. If I were you, I'd join the 7:15 meeting, go every week, and stay for the meeting for at least 3 months. We have free registration here until May 14th. What have you got to lose but those last pesky 7 pounds?! Oh Yeah, and quite a few bucks...but it will be worth it! I feel more obligated to work at it because I'm retired and spending $10.00 a week for this! You could also go "visit" the 7:15 meeting to see if you like the Leader and group before you join. I don't know what to say about the beer. I'm not a drinker anymore. I always wanted food way more than a drink, so I gave it up a long time ago. I think it's a big decision you'll have to make if you can't work it in to your points range be it Flex or Core.

Last edited by Vickie; 05-12-2005 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:09 AM   #9  

You can sit in on meeting w/o joining. Find a meeting and a leader that you like. We switched from Monday night to SAt. AM. When my girls went with me they said that the Monday night meeting was boring. I like Sat AM meeting, and I like the leader.
Vivian
Old 05-12-2005, 11:15 AM   #10  

I will think about it for a few days. The free registration is over on Saturday, at least here. There's a location close to work and I could go at noon or after work, and then there's the one near my house that has the Tuesday at 7:00 meetings, and then one that's halfway between home and work that has Saturday and Sunday meetings. I think I should really decide what I want -- how badly I want to reach my goal -- and then do something about it.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:10 PM   #11  
Athlete in Training

Kathy,

Here's what I would do. I'd give myself a week. If you lose weight, or stay the same, don't go to the meetings. Try it the next week. Keep doing this week after week.

The first week that you gain, run, don't walk, pay the registration fee and go to the meetings.

I'd be challenged to stay on the program and lose the weight just to not have to admit that I need the meetings.

I am one of those people who regain quickly and with gusto. I am not particularly fond of our current WW leader (she's temporary for another month), but I've committed to stay for the meetings because you just never know whether you'll hear something that you'll need later.

And we have several skinny girls trying to lose weight at our meetings. No one bats an eye.

I know that for me, I have to be accountable and I can't do this alone. Everyone is wired differently, so you'll need to do some soul-searching and find out what works for you.

Good luck!
Old 05-12-2005, 05:35 PM   #12  

I guess my biggest thing is that I've always been thin for most of my life! What a problem, huh? But I never learned how to diet or eat correctly because I didn't have to. And I've never been a big eater anyway; I didn't get this way because of food but because of medicine, so it's been a real challenge to have to learn these things.

Now that I'm forced to make some lifestyle changes, I'm being pretty stubborn about it, and I guess I still am in the mindset that I can eat anything I want and not gain. While that might be true to some extent, it's not helping me to lose the weight so I'll be back to normal.

ARRGGGHH!!
Closed Thread